• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chemical Free Computer Mouse?

Womble

Hello!

I recently purchased a generic wired mouse from Microsoft. After using it for a short
period of time, I felt a lot of gas and fumes get into my lungs, and by the end of the
day I was coughing and feeling sick.

Do you have any advice on how I can get a mouse that won't worsen my MCS? Is there
a particular type of plastic that is safer, or a particular brand you prefer?

jeffrez

Maybe try to get a really old one at a yard sale or on ebay, etc. ? Try to get ones that are hard plastic, and don't have any of that rubbery stuff on them. If yours has a rubber mouse wheel, perhaps that is contributing to the offgassing. It might be better to get one without a wheel.

Womble

Will it off-gas if it isn't plugged in?

I thought computer products could only off-gas if they are being used, am I wrong?

I agree with buying an older one. A few months old should be enough. Thrift stores sometimes have them.

I would expect the new one to take over a month to stop bothering you, unless you can use ozone in an enclosed room to speed it up. (You'd have to buy or borrow a machine for ozone.)

Womble

I agree with buying an older one. A few months old should be enough. Thrift stores sometimes have them.

I would expect the new one to take over a month to stop bothering you, unless you can use ozone in an enclosed room to speed it up. (You'd have to buy or borrow a machine for ozone.)

Interesting, what does ozone do to it? :)

Interesting, what does ozone do to it? :)

Well I am going to copy from a past post made by Dainty, from an old thread:

There are, however, some things you can do to improve a house. The first course of action is ozone. I'm not talking about an ozone air purifier that only emits low doses, I'm talking about an ozone generator capable of producing a lethal concentration of ozone into its surroundings. You can either buy or rent one. You set it up and leave the house while it does its job and then wiat to enter until the levels are safe enough. The ozone breaks down the chemicals and outgasses new stuff, basically "aging" it very quickly. It will also kill every single dust mite in the environment.

I don't like the smell of the ozone itself, but I hold my breath and leave the room.