• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23and ME Vs others Genetic testing

Seven7

Seven
I am looking into getting my methilation and detox genes tested, I want to know which one is the best to get done and the most complete analysis, I can afford it so price is not an issue (within reason), I prefer to have it as complete as possible.

Tx,

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't know about anything besides 23andMe but I know with that there are 2 places where you can go to get the raw data put into numbers. One is genetic genie and the other, which I think is considerable more comprehensive is MTHFRsupport.com

Maybe you can email them and ask what you get with them?

Sea

23andme test for more than 900 000 snps for $99 and give lots of information about various health risks. They don't analyse your methylation or detox pathways but this information is easy to find from your raw data using:
Genetic Genie (free or donation of $10 for methylation & $5 for detox) then reading Heartfixer or Yasko for what to do with your info
MTHFRsupport ($20 methylation, detox and more) includes report
Livewello (I think also $20, and I think they got their info from MTHFRsupport) includes report

...or for free you can even look up your snps from your raw data yourself and organise them into some sort of spreadsheet. You'll find yourself doing that as more information becomes available than what the different groups offer anyway and you realise what a wealth of information is available in your raw data.

The other option is Yasko for hundreds of dollars who tests only around 30 snps of the methylation pathway. She does have a couple of snps that 23andme don't have, but I don't think they are vital. She also includes a report

Valentijn

I am looking into getting my methilation and detox genes tested, I want to know which one is the best to get done and the most complete analysis, I can afford it so price is not an issue (within reason), I prefer to have it as complete as possible.
23andMe is the best value for the money. $99 for 960,000 SNPs, versus $495 from Yasko for a few dozen. In addition, the few which Yasko tests that aren't in 23andMe are mostly irrelevant anyhow.

As listed above, there's plenty of places to process 23andMe results. I also have a downloadable program at http://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ which can let you pull out your extremely rare SNPs, in case there's anything of interest in there.

I doubt methylation is a huge factor in ME/CFS (though it does make a difference), so it makes sense to do broader testing.

JohnnyD

This might deserve it's own topic since so many here have used the 23andme testing

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/stop-selling-those-dna-tests-fda-tells-23andme-2D11650789

Stop selling those DNA tests, FDA tells 23andMe
Maggie Fox NBC News
55 minutes ago

The Food and Drug Administration has ordered DNA testing company 23andMe to stop marketing its over-the-counter genetic test, saying it’s being sold illegally to diagnose diseases, and with no proof it actually works.

The heavily marketed test includes a kit for sampling saliva, and the company promises to offer specific health advice. “Based on your DNA, we’ll provide specific health recommendations for you,” the company says on its website. "Get personalized recommendations."

In an unusually scathing letter dated Friday, the FDA says it’s been trying to work with the company to get some sort of evidence that the test can do that with any accuracy.

Valentijn

The Food and Drug Administration has ordered DNA testing company 23andMe to stop marketing its over-the-counter genetic test, saying it’s being sold illegally to diagnose diseases, and with no proof it actually works.
Odd. Maybe the FDA doesn't know that there are SNPs proven to be pathogenic?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I think Genova Diagnostics does them, but you have to get a doctor to order it and it is pretty expensive too, I believe.

I also have a downloadable program at http://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ which can let you pull out your extremely rare SNPs, in case there's anything of interest in there.

@Valentijn I couldn't figure out what to do with the Sourceforge program when I opened it. What type file does it want from the 23andme folder? Are there detailed instructions for using Sourceforge somewhere?
Blessings to you!

Valentijn

@Valentijn I couldn't figure out what to do with the Sourceforge program when I opened it. What type file does it want from the 23andme folder? Are there detailed instructions for using Sourceforge somewhere?
Blessings to you!
http://sourceforge.net/p/analyzemygenes/wiki/Home/ has step-by-step instructions. It wants your unzipped 23andMe file, plus a database file (the 1% database gets automatically selected for you).

There can be issues with using the program on some Macs, probably due to a publisher ID needed - we'll fix that one of these days :p