• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Problems with Histamine-releasing Foods

Do any of you have problems with histamine-realeasing foods?
If you lack SAMe, your HNMT won't be able to get rid of histamine, resulting in elevated levels intracellularly. Eating these foods will set it free at once, potentially causing symptoms.

The symptoms I had each time I consumed:
- insomnia (I couldn't sleep for one second)
- massive brain fog
- weakness
- others

This should be a good indication for everyone to see if they have enough SAMe.

I ate Pumkin seeds today (the worst). Let's see if I can sleep tonight... I'm taking 5-MTHF and am feeling like a million $ since 2 weeks alrdy.

I see so few threads concerning this topic even though it is very important imo.

Aileen

Very interesting. According to an article I just read on histamine containing foods, histamine is metabolized by enzymes called "amine oxidases". One article specifically mentioned diamine oxidase (aka histaminase). Does anyone know anything about histaminase/diamine oxidase (DAO) SNPs?

Do any of you have problems with histamine-realeasing foods?
If you lack SAMe, your HNMT won't be able to get rid of histamine, resulting in elevated levels intracellularly. Eating these foods will set it free at once, potentially causing symptoms.

The symptoms I had each time I consumed:
- insomnia (I couldn't sleep for one second)
- massive brain fog
- weakness
- others

This should be a good indication for everyone to see if they have enough SAMe.

I ate Pumkin seeds today (the worst). Let's see if I can sleep tonight... I'm taking 5-MTHF and am feeling like a million $ since 2 weeks alrdy...

I'd like to know more about this.
So pumpkin seeds are high in histamine? Anybody got a list of high histamine foods or a link to a list?

I've had good relief from histamine itch by taking extra metafolin.

Blessings to you

camas

Yeah, no pumpkin pie for me this week! For the most part I'm following a histamine and tyramine restricted diet from the Canadian Mastocytosis Society (see low histamine diet link in my signature). Since starting it, I've had a nine month plateau of being fairly functional. I'm still disabled, but am at least able to count on having a certain amount of energy every day and have been catching up on a bunch of projects around the house.

I'm doing this for suspected mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) rather than for methylation issues, not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. A dermatologist gave me a clinical diagnosis of TMEP mastocytosis last fall, but my tryptase test was normal pointing to MCAS rather than Mastocytosis. I see a number of former CFS and Fibro patients, like myself, on masto boards.

ahmo

No..I'm not talking about high histamine foods. If you have problems with high histamine foods then you have problems with MAO/DAO.
Im only talking about histamine-releasing foods.(german:histaminliberatoren) They mustnt contain histamine.
http://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/download/SIGHI-Lebensmittelliste_HIT.pdf
heres a list (but its german )

Hi Gandalf. I have histamine intolerance. I'd just been meaning to go back to reading Yasko, to try to trace this back to its origins. V interesting to read that MAO is central: it's my only homozygous defect. In your research, does there seem to be a way of actually correcting it? I'm using Yasko's RNA formula for MAO, more for the behavioural implications. but it seems like it's a good idea for this reason as well. The GAPS diet folk seem to believe that once the gut is healed, the histamines aren't a problem. I'm 2 years into that protocol, with no decrease in my intolerance. but I've added in a lot of things to manage it.

Re more posts, there's another forum on MCAD, Masto issues. You might find more histamine posts there. cheers, ahmo

Hi Gandalf. I have histamine intolerance. I'd just been meaning to go back to reading Yasko, to try to trace this back to its origins. V interesting to read that MAO is central: it's my only homozygous defect. In your research, does there seem to be a way of actually correcting it? I'm using Yasko's RNA formula for MAO, more for the behavioural implications. but it seems like it's a good idea for this reason as well. The GAPS diet folk seem to believe that once the gut is healed, the histamines aren't a problem. I'm 2 years into that protocol, with no decrease in my intolerance. but I've added in a lot of things to manage it.

Re more posts, there's another forum on MCAD, Masto issues. You might find more histamine posts there. cheers, ahmo

I was initially not talking about MAO. I intended to talk about HNMT pathway. But ofc I can help you.

To increase speed of a reaction you can do many things:
optimaze temp.
increase the enzyme ( MAO )
increase the "starting substance" (in this case Histamine + Water + Oxygen)
decrease end products of the reaction (ammonia + Hydrogen peroxide + aldehyde)

So I think your best bet might be NAC for hydrogen peroxide.
Glutamic acid for ammonia.

But these are just my thoughts. I do not know if it would actually work.

Hi Gandalf,

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I've been having histamine problems and they are not DAO related (test was more than OK) so I'm trying to figure out if it's methylation, MCAS or lack of HNMT. I don't know German so I'm limited to the English version of your website - in that list pumpkin seeds are listed as fine. Do you know if there discrepancies between the German and the English list?

I can't post links yet, need 5 posts.

Thanks!

mermaid

Hi Gandalf,

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I've been having histamine problems and they are not DAO related (test was more than OK) so I'm trying to figure out if it's methylation, MCAS or lack of HNMT. I don't know German so I'm limited to the English version of your website - in that list pumpkin seeds are listed as fine. Do you know if there discrepancies between the German and the English list?

I can't post links yet, need 5 posts.

Thanks!

Hello @jorgemg1984 I don't know if @Gandalf is still active here, but you need to tag him (as I have just done to alert him to your post. (Just checked and I see he was last active here in Aug this year).

I am also exploring the whole histamine issue myself currently. Did you know that there is a board on here that deals more with this kind of things? It is here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?forums/mast-cell-disorders-mastocytosis.126/

I understand that the DAO test is not always accurate, but I agree it can be down to something else!

Hi mermaid, thanks for the tips - I'm new here and therefore clueless about stuff like tagging. I will check the board, thanks. I hope Gandalf is still around, I'm curious.

I know the DAO test is not always accurate but I'm positive my problem is connected to methylation, let's see...

My stomach hurts a lot whenever I eat pineapple or tomato. Tomato also gives me UTI symptoms. I guess it's the histamine. I have MAO and DAO mutations.