• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opening Pandora’s Box: PANDORA Cozies up to IOM

Esther12

The process consist of the IOM, the panel they select, a process they created, and a review committee. I'd like to know where the buck stops. Who is responsible?

I've not been following this thread, but I really agree with this point.

Mark

Has the special link to the IOM forum been removed inadvertently again?
Nope, deliberately this time :D - we're promoting our new PR store for the next week or so, because the holiday season and the affiliate schemes are a very significant source of income for PR and we've just put a lot of work into expanding the PR store. We'll restore the IOM notices in about a week.

taniaaust1

Nope, deliberately this time :D - we're promoting our new PR store for the next week or so, because the holiday season and the affiliate schemes are a very significant source of income for PR and we've just put a lot of work into expanding the PR store. We'll restore the IOM notices in about a week.

Anyway they both can be promoted? seeing both things are very important

• The new Phoenix Rising Store is now open!
    Help Phoenix Rising raise funds by doing your online holiday shopping through our store
    Check out the Special Offers from a range of big-name online retailers" .
Maybe that last line was if it was removed (its really not needed as the other two lines about the store are good.. last line is so cliche (not sure if i have wrong right), the OMI forum could be still promoted underneath in a single line with a link where that is..

Its great that PR finally has got a store to help with its funds. :)

Last edited:

Izola

@Izola, countries are allowed to put out their own versions of ICD, if those versions are approved by ICD. Only a small handful of countries have their own ICDs- US, Germany and Canada I think and that might be it. I believe in the current ICD-9 CM (what the US one is called), ME or 'benign ME' appears only in the index and it says "see CFS". The ICD-10 CM and ICD 11and DSM 5 fights have been going on for quite a while, spearheaded by Suzy Chapman who blogs on it. This stuff is important and something to get back to when the redefinition fight is less urgent.
JR: Just saying it seems odd, like odd as in all the governmental masks of ignorance that have been displayed for 2 decades post Incline Village. To my knowledge the CDC, et al, has never recognized (openly, that is) the WHO's ICD classification of ME or even ME until almost a couple decades past the Holmes' criteria. Was ME even classified in the U.S.? Either I haven't bothered to check or I don't remember. Information dribbles out of my brain faster than a dachshund slimes. You bet the U.S. respects the WHO even though they don't have to. The USA was all over it a couple years past when an outbreak of one of the 77+ enteroviruses killed 27 children in a or some eastern country[ies] not to mention the ongoing war against Polio, another 3 enteroviruses. But all of this about ICD's is just another paragraph in the loss of our lives.

justinreilly

I think the ICD 9cm which we currently use in the US has ME in the index and it says "see CFS", but CFS is listed in a chapter called something like "miscellaneous symptoms."

Until less than a year ago CDC had a CFS CME on their website coauthored with CFIDS ASSN of America saying that CFS was different from CFIDS and ME because the name CFIDS implies immune dysfunction which CFS does not have and ME implies brain inflammation which CFS doesn't have.

It would be funny if it weren't tragic that the CFIDS Assn was saying that CFIDS is not a correct name for CFS, bc CFS doesn't have immune dysfunction!! These guys need to be put out of business when we're done with the IoM etc.