• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS Patients Poll on Dental Issues

How ManyDeveloped Serious Dental Issues After ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia ?

• Total voters

Ecoclimber

How many patients who had healthy teeth prior to their illness with Fibromyalgia or ME/CFS suddenly found themselves with severe dental issues involving tooth decay or root canal procedures?

camas

I had only a few small fillings prior to ME/CFS. After I fell ill, I started losing my enamel at an alarming rate. I had to have a full set of crowns to save my teeth and am now getting those replaced with new crowns because of erosion along the margins. No root canals though and not much decay, mostly just erosion.

justinreilly

Had two root canals (hadn't had any before), some crowns and my teeth have just ground down a ridiculous amount (i don't grind during the day and wear a bite guard at night- not sure exactly how they are getting ground down- maybe acid reflux + regular chewing??), receding gums, lots of enamel chipping off. Can't get them fixed as fast as they are getting destroyed due to rate of destruction, lack of money and mostly how sick getting them fixed makes me (i guess from novocaine and the stress on nerves and tissue). Suggestions welcome!

Ian

I don't know about after ..
But I'd say dental issues (jawbone cavitations and root canals) are the primary cause of fibromyalgia. I used to get burning muscle pain in my legs, back and stomach when I felt really ill. All that went after my cavitation surgery. I've seen other people whos fibropain went almost the next day after they had root canals and the adjacent bone removed. Trouble is, there are so few dentists in the world that do this kind of surgery, and those that do risk losing their dental license, so your chance of getting them fixed might as well be zero.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I'm pretty sure that my loss of fillings and enamel in 2008 was due to losing minerals in urine. I now supplement with bone minerals and have had no further problems other than occasional sinus-type dental pain following over-exertion.

peggy-sue

Becasue of having ME I'm not as good as I used to be at cleaning my teeth, so they have deteriorated.
I am also getting older, (getting long in the tooth!) so more problems are appearing.

I hate cleaning my teeth. I hate the taste of toothpaste, I hate the feel of the brush in my mouth, I hate the taste that lingers after doing it, I hate rinsing my mouth in cold water after. I hate standing at the sink doing it.

I didn't respond to the poll, becuase there wasn't a suitable thing to vote for.;)

xchocoholic

My teeth weren't affected for almost 20 years post dx, until I got h pylori and parasites at the same time and had to treat these. I was just thinking maybe it's a bacteria or parasite or the treatments causing dental issues and not related to me/cfs.

I posted an article here recently about dry mouth that had some great tips. The author correlated dry mouth to tooth decay. I'm embarrassed that I can't remember the title right now. : ?

tc ... x

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
My teeth weren't affected for almost 20 years post dx, until I got h pylori and parasites at the same time and had to treat these. I was just thinking maybe it's a bacteria or parasite or the treatments causing dental issues and not related to me/cfs.

I posted an article here recently about dry mouth that had some great tips. The author correlated dry mouth to tooth decay. I'm embarrassed that I can't remember the title right now. : ?

tc ... x

I sometimes use dilute grapefruit seed extract (GSE, sometimes sold as 'Citricidal') as a mouthwash. It has antibacterial properties, and if my gut is playing up I swallow the GSE after swilling it round my mouth, and it usually sorts that out.

It shouldn't be used by anyone taking warfarin. I'm not sure about other blood-thinning agents, but have a look at these search results if you want to find out more. (Highwire is not very good at providing links to papers, so I often just copy the name of the paper into a normal search engine and find it that way.)

There have been claims that any bactericidal activity of GSE is due to contaminants, but I use a brand that I trust (Viridian) which I am confident is pure, and I also think that the evidence is sufficiently strong that GSE itself is effective and safe for most people, based on scientific papers and personal experience.

Last edited: