• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nutribullet or juicer?

Fogbuster

I originally wanted to buy a juicer. I then realised how great the nutribullet sounds both from it's description and reviews across the net. I love the fact that you can blend seeds from fruits, nuts and oats etc in it, which is obviously something you wouldn't get from a juicer. Therefore I'm getting more
nutrition for my buck.

The only downside (which isn't a really a downside) is that the nutribullet keeps the fibre in.
But when your on an elimination diet and trying to get rid of gut dysbiosis, the fact is you'll be consuming quite alot of high fibre which could cause a bit of a problem and actually be more of a problem than a benefit for my gut dysbiosis.

It seems the nutribullet is a great idea and product, but I think this maybe clouding my judgement of choosing something I want over something I need.

A helpful second opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Jamie

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Well I've got one of each, I bought a juicer several years ago, need to use a lot more veg/fruit to make a drink as so much goes into the pulp collector. I hadn't used it in a while and my son borrowed it,
I started looking at the nutri bullets as I don't absorb vitamins/ minerals very well despite a good diet and wondered if using all parts of the food would help.

I was enjoying using the nutribullet for the first couple of weeks, then I was unwell due to thyroid meds so didn't eat for a while and just got out of the habit of using it. Just started again this week with lettuce, beet,carrot and apple, Its very thick and makes a lot more than a juicer. Make sure you wash and peel all veg/fruit before use, I soak lettuce in salt water for 20 minutes and then rinse it in filtered water.(lettuce has vit k - I need that for osteoporosis)
I was advised to take digestive enzymes at the same time as the nutribullet stuff, helps a poorly perfoming gut break it down.

I still take acacia powder as it doesn't help with constipation.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I have a cheap blender and a juicer, both of them are helpful for different chores. For making something antinflammatory and easy to absorb I prefer the juicer, and when I have a food with lots of veggies I dislike I use the blender and eat the puree. The blender can also do coconut milk, blend papaya seeds with the fruit for a natural antiparasitic and such. The nutribullet looks way better than a simple blender though.

I want to buy a more expensive juicer as I feel that juicing really benefits me. I used briefly something very similar to this http://www.eujuicers.com/upload/images-cache/24216/310x450.jpg and boy did the juice came out concentrated and without any fibers!! Coincidentally during these weeks I also started feeling so energetic I started to bodybuild a bit again (which worsened me over time of course).

In a nutshell if I could I would buy both a Vitamix/Nutribullet or the sort AND an expensive juicer too.

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
@Beyond
which juicer did you use briefly? I looked at the photo but don't recognize it.
Aha! Have just remembered the name... HUROM. I like it because it has good results and is not as expensive as the greenstar and such. The one I used at home for about four weeks was a chinese copy though, so it broke and they gave me a typical juicer for exchange.

The thing about a juicer is that you can get allot more nutrients into your body if you take out the fibre. The bullet is only reducing chewing time. But if you need to "flush yourself with fibre" because you are getting rid of toxins they I guess the bullet would be better, but so then would be organic bran ?

Fogbuster

Hi @harris, thanks very much for the response. I actually thought it was the opposite of what you think.

Why would getting rid of the fibre increase absorption?

A big selling point of the nutribullet is that you can blend the whole fruit eg the skin, avocado seed, which inturn increases the body's ability to absorb the fruit/ vegetable.

Jamie

@Fogbuster

Hi Jamie, I think it is to do with volume. If you want to take allot of carrots for example, if you juice them you take out the fibre and keep the nutrients, so you can have allot of carrot nutrients in a day. If you keep the fibre in your system has to process all of it.

But you do need fibre, But on the other hand, if you wanted to take allot of veg/fruit nutrients you would be better off juicing as you couldn't get through all that veg fibre in a day.

Some people "flush" there system with just fibre to get rid of all the toxins. Like in my case. I have to take allot of fibre in my diet to flush out toxins that are being release becasue I recently changed my diet. So juicing does not agree with me just now. But later when my system is cleaned out, I might want to start juicing to flood my body with veg/fruit nutrients.

If you have gut problems you might want to look into eating organic bran, to clean out you gut.

If you see what i mean ?

Harris.

Fogbuster

@harris

Thanks very much again for the response. I get what you mean completely. Makes complete sense to me now as to why you'd want fibre taken out if your trying to make your drinks as nutrient dense as possible, otherwise you'd find yourself in constipation central! You've now convinced me to buy a juicer. Merci beaucoup!

Could I get your advice on what juicer to buy?

This is the one I intend to get as it seems to be the best value/quality etc for the money. Max would be $150 or £80

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0007XHGHA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385205325&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Best wishes
Jamie

Fogbuster

In
@Fogbuster

Hi Jamie, I think it is to do with volume. If you want to take allot of carrots for example, if you juice them you take out the fibre and keep the nutrients, so you can have allot of carrot nutrients in a day. If you keep the fibre in your system has to process all of it.

But you do need fibre, But on the other hand, if you wanted to take allot of veg/fruit nutrients you would be better off juicing as you couldn't get through all that veg fibre in a day.

Some people "flush" there system with just fibre to get rid of all the toxins. Like in my case. I have to take allot of fibre in my diet to flush out toxins that are being release becasue I recently changed my diet. So juicing does not agree with me just now. But later when my system is cleaned out, I might want to start juicing to flood my body with veg/fruit nutrients.

If you have gut problems you might want to look into eating organic bran, to clean out you gut.

If you see what i mean ?

Harris.

Hi @harris, In essence I want a device which will make a nutrient dense drink which can travel through a damaged digestive system and be used to help heal and regenerate it.

Surely that is a juicer?

On another note, from testing it has shown I have mild/moderate mercury and organophosphate poisoning. Having a nutribullet would help eliminate some of the toxins because the fibre is left in I believe. But as said already i want a device which makes nutrient dense drinks without the difficult to digest stuff.

Anyway the toxins I'll just sweat it out and take supplements to help eliminate the toxins when I'm in slightly better health. From my perspective it seems a juicer is much more worthwhile on a long term basis for my needs.

This is the juicer I'm going to get:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000OTNDRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385647740&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY16

You can make pasta, noodles, own peanut butter, basically encourages culinary experimentation which is what I love. Even though its quite pricey its exceptional value for money as it has versatility in abundance!

What do you think?

Thanks and Best wishes
Jamie

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey Fogbuster for mercury the very best is cutler chelation, cheap and easy with Alpha Lipoic Acid. And yes it sounds like you want a juicer.

For sweating toxins out look into near infrared sauna, I built one in my home cheaply and works well.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Fogbuster
I thought the Huron one looked quite good - I think I need a new juicer as well. My hubby loves the nutribullet but since I got a viral infection back a few weeks ago I've found the fibre irritates my stomach. One step forward and all that:(............

Fogbuster

Hi @roxie60, keep us updated! I'm sure you will benefit greatly from the nutribullet. It sounds like a great product. Bon lux!

Fogbuster

Hi @maryb, hope your doing okish! Onwards and upwards! :)

The juicer I'm going to buy is the Matstone 6 in 1 juicer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000OTNDRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1385686691&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Sounds and looks like an incredible juicer really. From what I've read, theirs no problems with starchy vegetables, no unblended chunks, graininess or overfrothiness. Good and velvety juice. Its sheek, quiet and energy efficient. Because its got 6 in 1 features it encourages culinary experimentation, which I think is an excellent bonus. You can make noodles, pasta, peanut butter, purees etc.

Im completely sold on the idea.

Best wishes
Jamie