• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amalgams and reducing mercury vapor exposure

sregan

I'm sure many of you have seen the IAOMT video "Smoking Teeth" (http://iaomt.org/patients/video.asp). When I see this it makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe there is controversy about this. Mercury is in people's mouth, just inches away from their brain. There is no controversy about the toxicity of mercury. Here in Alabama they recently evacuated an entire school because of a small spill yet it's still going in children's teeth? Where is the sanity?

Since I was a small child I have had a mouth full of amalgams. I would venture to say I had as many as 10-12 fillings. I have had 3 experiences of CFS which are probably better referred to as mercury toxicity episodes in my life. The second was about a year shortly following an amalgam filling that just popped out. The third and current episode (almost 9 years) is after a couple of years of dental work including removing amalgams to replace with crowns. I also had 2 amalgams replaced 3-4 years ago in a non-safe manner also. At this point I only have 2 teeth with visible amalgams #2 and #4.

Something that just happened recently has removed any doubt for me. Back in the dentists office had a crown replaced. Not a big deal until I went back for a semi-annual cleaning and inspection. Almost immediately when the hygenist hit the area of my amagams with the powered polishing tool I got a sick sensation. Within an hour of leaving the dentists office I was extremely anxious and definitely not in my right mind. Those who have experienced can understand this. I was feeling very paranoid, anxious, worried and very much like a caged animal. I am usually very good and catching my brain in various states of chemical variation but this time it caught me off guard. Instead of sitting back and saying "ok, my brain is at it again, just ride it out" I was completely caught up in it.

Fast forward to a few hours later I'm feeling more normal. I did take one tablet of Postassium Citrate to help once I realized I might be responding to mercury exposure. When I saw the above video just reinforced my belief that I received a large exposure to mercury vapor.

For me the exposures I have received have taken year(s) to resolve. Maybe could have hastened the detox process by taking supplements... who knows...

Right now I have these 2 visible amalgams and God knows what under my crowns. I am looking for a IAOMT dentist to remove these last 2 currently but am wondering what I can do in the mean time to reduce mercury vapor exposure from these teeth.

The video leads me to believe that the temperature of the amalgam and any friction on the amalgam surface (more heat?) will increase the emission from the tooth.

So it seems I could do the following:

1. Don't eat or drink anything warm/hot.
2. Don't chew on my right side where the teeth are.
3. Possibly sip a cool beverage (water) throughout the day
4. No unnecessary chewing (gum)
5. Inhale through the nose and out through the mouth. Probably not as hard as it initially seems. This will keep the tooth cooler and any vapor that isn't absorbed by the oral tissue will be expelled into the air (second hand smoke anyone?)
6. When brushing teeth try to stay off the surface of the amalgams. Also do not inhale through the mouth when brushing

I've even considered some type of chelating agent could be packed onto the surface of the teeth with the right agent binding them. Something like bentonite clay mixed with chlorella or pectin perhaps?

I can afford the $600+ per tooth to have the amalgams taken out safely but what about those who can't? Maybe these ideas can help them reduce exposure.

Wayne

I ran into an account (below) a couple years back and think it's really quite a remarkable story. It illustrates quite vividly how mercury toxicity can be so devastating for people who can't adequately detoxify it from their bodies (such as many pwCFS). I thought the last paragraph was particularly interesting.

I might just mention that when I had my own amalgams removed, there was decay underneath almost all of them. If that kind of decay continues unabated, it can lead to major stuff that could necessitate expensive crowns and/or root canals. I truly have my doubts I would be alive today had I not had my amalgams and metal crowns removed about 10-15 years ago.

My Mercury Story
In the mid 90s, despite being athletic and energetic, I began experiencing various health ailments. These ailments worsened and grew in number year-by-year. By 2000, I had acquired 17 specific physical ailments ranging from fatigue to immune weakness to constant ringing in my ears. I could only work about 4 hours per day and had to take daily naps. I knew that something was seriously wrong.

I finally stumbled upon the cause of my problems while speaking to a friend about her health issues. She told me she had Chronic Fatigue and had healed herself after 5 years of visiting doctors and getting nowhere. She told me that she had her amalgam ("silver") dental fillings removed one-by-one, as she could afford it, and it had changed her from a bed-ridden state to a normal, working person. She told me something no dentist ever had:

Amalgam dental fillings contain mercury, the world's most toxic, non-radioactive metal.

I started conducting research on the Internet and found that I was not alone. Many other people were suffering just as I was and they had determined the problem was their dental fillings as well.

After spending numerous hours researching this issue, I had my amalgam fillings removed in couple weeks and my life changed forever, and it happened virtually overnight. A few years later, I realized that not only had my physical symptoms gone away, but a number of phobias vanished as well. My relationships improved, I became more social, my memory improved dramatically, and I realized how life is supposed to be lived.

Now, looking back, I realize that I lived most of my life with a number of negative personality traits and emotional ailments that were actually caused by mercury. My bad memory, extreme shyness, very low self esteem, fear of commitments (especially in relationships), history of suicidal thoughts and fear of confrontations is now gone, not to mention horrible depression, and all of these changes have dramatically improved the quality of my life.

sregan

The above link doesn't work, so thought I'd re-post it:

Smoking Teeth -- Toxic Fillings

Sregan, did you ever get all the metal out of your mouth? Removing mine was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Best, Wayne

Wayne, I did about a year and a half ago. I had 2 amalgams left. I had about 10-12 from since I was 10-12 years old. I don't think it helped but maybe started a LONG mercury organ dump that I'm still dealing with today possibly. It might be a good thing to only get them removed (for those who had had them for life like myself) when you have a chelation plan ready.

It might be a good thing to only get them removed (for those who had had them for life like myself) when you have a chelation plan ready.

I would prepare for months in advance, and take supplements for at least 18 months after. If I remember right, some people say 2 to 3 years after.

When you have some amalgams left, you are not supposed to use any chelating agents like chlorella. It's supposed to draw more mercury out.

I used chlorella anyway because I didn't know. I think I'm not having much ill effect from amalgams, especially old ones, because I don't notice a worse week if the amalgams break. I also didn't notice being worse the last time I got a new small amalgam. (However I would not get one again.) So chlorella and others didn't give me a reaction that I noticed. Maybe I get a mild or delayed reaction.

I also read peroxide is bad if you have amalgams. Some toothpastes contain it.

There is some supplement, that some on this forum use, you're not supposed to take with amalgams... NAC?

sregan

There is some supplement, that some on this forum use, you're not supposed to take with amalgams... NAC?

ALA - Alpha Lipoic Acid, like Cilantro crosses the blood brain barrier and can bring Mercury with it. This is a good thing if it brings it out of the brain into the body. Bad if the body has a high Mercury burden and bringing Mercury into the brain.

antares4141

I'm sure many of you have seen the IAOMT video "Smoking Teeth" (http://iaomt.org/patients/video.asp). When I see this it makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe there is controversy about this. Mercury is in .
Not

A lot of times because my chronic fatigue I just don't have the time or energy to Google things. But this video seemed very dubious to me. Especially since Mercury is heavier than air. I've seen so many people on the Internet that are full of crap my first impression of that video is this is a prime example. What I find reprehensible is the guy promoting the video apparently is a chemist and should be aware of this! Here is some counterballance to that video: http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2005/04/smoking-teeth-truth-gets-smoked-out.html
http://skeptoid.com/mobile/4036. (click on the link "listen" for the Audio")
I'm not trying to crap all over everybody's concerns here that mercury fillings are not safe. According to the audio authorities believe more research is needed. I'd love nothing more than to get mine out. Actually have concerns about the composites which use epoxy resin. If you read the label on any epoxy product they warn about allergic reactions specifically rashes I think. Podcast author talked about ceramic I don't know whether this is embedded in epoxy or whether it's different altogether.
I've recently started suspecting that my fillings cause localized reactions. I always thought it was abrasion or that my teeth were really sharp and causing discomfort by rubbing or friction. Than got to thinking it might be the amalgams doing this chemically. And if they can do that is it a leap to think think that they might somehow be partially responsible for my digestive issues. After all your mouth is part of your digestive tract. After doing some research on crowns I'm just as worried about those. Apparently people have reactions to metals used in those I think nickel specifically. I'm really dubious of dentist also I voiced my concerns to mine assuming I had one choice or the other. Crown or pull tooth. The other option I was not informed of because there was no profit incentive is just to leave it be and let it rot (it's cracked). Or maybe to just go ahead and put a ceramic filling in knowing it's not going to be permanent. I ended up paying 250 to have a tooth pulled because I thought that's what I needed to do. But after reading the disclosure and all the possible complications, and finding out that it was only a tiny chip (he showed it to me) in an otherwise healthy tooth. It became obvious to me I was best just to leave it alone. I thought the reason we go to professionals is to get good advice. Don't think I got that from this dentist.

sregan

Not
Here is some counterballance to that video: http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2005/04/smoking-teeth-truth-gets-smoked-out.html
http://skeptoid.com/mobile/4036. (click on the link "listen" for the Audio")
I'm not trying to crap all over everybody's concerns here that mercury fillings are not safe. According to the audio authorities believe more research is needed..

First I'm skeptical about any site with the word 'quack' in the domain name. Especially "Dr" Stephen Barrett's quack watch. Absolutely everything alternative is crap to these guys. The baby is out with the bathwater. I know for a fact that many of the things these guys "do us the favor" to poo poo all over is actually worthwhile.

As for the mercury tooth video...Maybe the guys gives a good argument. Maybe its all assumption. Where is the video of actual Mercury vapor (see next post, thank you A.B.)? Maybe the vapor is due to the "AMALGAM" which is only 50% mercury with other metals. My answer is what else could be coming off that tooth? Water vapor? Not that much and where did the water come from? Now given that we don't ever see the tooth apart from the dark room background I'm skeptical about that. (Like not seeing Bin Laden's body).

Last edited:

A.B.

A lot of times because my chronic fatigue I just don't have the time or energy to Google things. But this video seemed very dubious to me. Especially since Mercury is heavier than air.

Just because somebody calls himself a skeptic doesn't mean that they are making a valid criticism. Water is heavier than air too. Here's a video demonstrating visible mercury evaporation:

I think the same people who made the smoking tooth video also made one where they stuck a mercury vapor analyzer into people's mouths.

Wayne

The other option I was not informed of because there was no profit incentive is just to leave it be and let it rot (it's cracked). Or maybe to just go ahead and put a ceramic filling in knowing it's not going to be permanent. I ended up paying 250 to have a tooth pulled because I thought that's what I needed to do. But after reading the disclosure and all the possible complications, and finding out that it was only a tiny chip (he showed it to me) in an otherwise healthy tooth. It became obvious to me I was best just to leave it alone. I thought the reason we go to professionals is to get good advice. Don't think I got that from this dentist.

Hi Antares, thanks for your post, and welcome to the world of being cynical about dental advice. I was dealing with a cracked tooth about three months ago, did a lot of research, and eventually discovered that nutrition alone can heal all kinds of tooth and gum ailments, including cracked teeth and dental carvities. Once I started regularly eating bone broths, cod liver oil, fat soluble vitamins contained in foods like eggs and butter (yes, those "dreaded" satured fats), my tooth pain began to diminish, and is now much better. I recently noticed my other teeth have become noticeably whiter as well. I can only assume that what's been helpful to remineralize my teeth has also been helpful for remineralizing my bones. (Not bad for a 62-year-old body). :)

The image below is of the book I was able to check out from my local library (click on it to go to Amazon). He has sections on most everything having to do with dental issues. One thing he wrote that caught my attention is that dentists often recommend root canals, not because they're necessary, but because they generate a lot of income. Goes against our natural inclination to trust "our" dentist, who we would naturally assume would never stoop to such levels (many do). He goes on to say that by getting second opinions, and doing what you can do naturally for yourself, he believes 90%+ of all root canals that would normally be recommended can be completely avoided.

BTW, my on experience with having my amalgams and metal crowns removed is that the metal crowns were significantly more toxic to me than the amalgams. Just my own experience and perceptions however. --- Also, if you're not currently ingesting bentonite clay, or some other substance to attached to and help carry out mercury and other heavy metal toxicity from your gut, you may want to consider doing so. It might help with your GI issues if they're being caused by mercury being swallowed on a daily basis..

antares4141

Hey Wayne,
The other thing that left me cynical about my dr was the crown was 1200 dollars and I didn't find out about that till I went to the front desk and the receptionist handed me a contract to fill out. With a payment plan for people who can't afford to get bent over and screwed all at one time. She made me an appointment with less than two days to think about what I was getting into. And their policy is you need to make cancelations 48 hours in advance. I can't help thinking that was deliberate. Screw them I canceled anyways.
I hadn't been to A US based dentist in over 10 years before this because my last one replaced a filling in a "cracked" tooth. Hollowed it out to where there was no meat left. I could never chew with it again and eventually the side of it caved out like Mount St. Helens. He wanted to do another one also. Fortunately I was so dissatisfied with the one he did I didn't go back for that. Back in 1993 he drilled out every one of my fillings eight or nine I don't know and replaced them. Mercury of course. I assumed it was just something your supposed to do and naïvely trusted him.
I had the tooth that caved out repaired in Mexico with composite material for 45 bucks about five years ago. Still working fine. I wish that's where I would've went this time also, it would've cost me 45 bucks the tooth would be repaired with composite and I would've saved $205.

What did you replace your crowns with?

Wayne

What did you replace your crowns with?

Hi Antares, short on energy today so can't comment much. Here's a LINK however to a 1-minute video which describes the material and procedure that I've found to work for me. A lot of dentists charge $1-1.2K for these procedures; a local dentist just started advertising doing them for $700. I had a bit of a problem with a couple breaking a few years ago, but the material has been hardened substantially since then, and dentists don't hesitate to use it for molars. --- Good luck!

Mij

First I'm skeptical about any site with the word 'quack' in the domain name. Especially "Dr" Stephen Barrett's quack watch. Absolutely everything alternative is crap to these guys. The baby is out with the bathwater. I know for a fact that many of the things these guys "do us the favor" to poo poo all over is actually worthwhile.

As for the mercury tooth video...Maybe the guys gives a good argument. Maybe its all assumption. Where is the video of actual Mercury vapor (see next post, thank you A.B.)? Maybe the vapor is due to the "AMALGAM" which is only 50% mercury with other metals. My answer is what else could be coming off that tooth? Water vapor? Not that much and where did the water come from? Now given that we don't ever see the tooth apart from the dark room background I'm skeptical about that. (Like not seeing Bin Laden's body).

The water comes from the air/water syringe they use to cool.and clean the tooth whilst drilling. It can also be used to dry the tooth, it has duel uses.