• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12, Folate, and Vitamin C move mercury *into* the brain?

I am researching optimal means of chelation for a friend, so any thoughts of this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am now worried whether or not she should stop her supplementary 400mcg folate and 1 gram vitamin C.

Abstract:
"Ingestion of megadoses of certain vitamins appears to influence the in vivo methylation of mercuric chloride in guinea pigs. The addition of megadoses of vitamin B12 fed either singularly or in combination with folic acid resulted in increased methylmercury concentrations in the liver. Moreover, percent methylmercury levels were significantly increased with B12 treatment in the liver (B12 only and B12/folic acid) and brain (B12/vitamin C). Incorporation of high levels of folic acid into the dietary regime also increased the methylmercury concentration particularly in the liver and hair tissues. The addition of vitamin C in the diet, particularly in combination with B12 (brain) or folic acid (muscle) resulted in increased methylmercury levels in these tissues and percent methylmercury values with B12 in the muscle and brain tissue."
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2388525

Why would increasing the function of the methylation lead to mobilization into the brain? This system helps us EXCRETE toxins in our urine and feces. Vitamin C is also a precursor to glutathione, so that should have also helped with the detoxification process, instead of leading to the opposite reaction. Was it just the fact that megadoses were used? Still though, it is very troubling...

Violeta

I don't see the whole study at the link. I'm wondering where the mercuric chloride came from. Were they feeding it to the guinea pigs along with the vitamins?

Iquitos

It's a chemical used in photography, herbicides and maybe insecticides. Pretty unusual sources to be found in humans except for accidental poisonings.

Freddd

I am researching optimal means of chelation for a friend, so any thoughts of this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am now worried whether or not she should stop her supplementary 400mcg folate and 1 gram vitamin C.

Abstract:
"Ingestion of megadoses of certain vitamins appears to influence the in vivo methylation of mercuric chloride in guinea pigs. The addition of megadoses of vitamin B12 fed either singularly or in combination with folic acid resulted in increased methylmercury concentrations in the liver. Moreover, percent methylmercury levels were significantly increased with B12 treatment in the liver (B12 only and B12/folic acid) and brain (B12/vitamin C). Incorporation of high levels of folic acid into the dietary regime also increased the methylmercury concentration particularly in the liver and hair tissues. The addition of vitamin C in the diet, particularly in combination with B12 (brain) or folic acid (muscle) resulted in increased methylmercury levels in these tissues and percent methylmercury values with B12 in the muscle and brain tissue."
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2388525

Why would increasing the function of the methylation lead to mobilization into the brain? This system helps us EXCRETE toxins in our urine and feces. Vitamin C is also a precursor to glutathione, so that should have also helped with the detoxification process, instead of leading to the opposite reaction. Was it just the fact that megadoses were used? Still though, it is very troubling...

Hi Wondering,

When Monomethylmercury of course gathers in the liver as it is collected there and excreted in the bile to the feces. The serum halflife of monomethylmercury is about 71 days as it is reliably cleared from the body by the liver. Since the number of mcg that occur daily accumulate as 1% a day of that accumulation is removed, it takes some number of years to flush the mercury out with MeCbl. I posted the results of a spreadsheet model some years ago on a thread on this same methylation menu.