• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opinions on Vitamin D long term?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Mine is constantly low, but my doctor told me to start taking 1,000 i.u's a day. Suppose to re-check in about 4 months.

I read in a magazine or heard it on tv about 2 weeks ago that in the summertime, outside with short sleeve shirt and shorts for 15 mins. your body, if healthy, creates 20,000 i.u.'s of Vit. D. I haen't looked to se if I could verify that anywhere, so I plan on confirming this unless someone else already knows for sure.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
10 minutes of daily sun exposure

we can only dream of this in the north of the UK, we're lucky to get a few weeks a year of sunshine:(
my doctor also told me that people who live on the line of the equator don't get osteoporosis regardless of diet.

dannybex

@Charles555nc
its about 4.45mins into the clip (thanks @allyb) - it basically says that high vit d 1.25 is a sign of chronic inflammation - so theoretically supplementing it is not good.........
High 1,25 d can be a sign of inflammation, but it can also be a sign of low calcium. Ken Lassesen would be the person to 'talk' to, he's recovered 3 times (in 30+) years. He relapsed in 2012, but has been back at work for at least six months, and took 10,000iu's a day even with his 1,25 being high. It came down as he recovered.

Here's his blog: http://cfsremission.wordpress.com

"Doctor" Marshall has it backwards, in more ways than one. I personally know a half dozen people who got much worse on his protocol, 2 almost losing kidney function. This was back in 2005-2006, when Marshall was claiming his protocol was a cure for everything under the…sun.

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@dannybex
thanks for the info danny
I sort of got what he was saying - that you have to have 1.25 d levels tested regularly when on any sort of meds and supplements to make sure the level is coming down from higher damaging levels.
difficult to find a lab in the uk but I will ask my doc.

I find it hard to read long amounts of script so may have got it wrong.
my problem now is whether to take my weekly vit d supplement 50000iu
I am worried about my osteoporosis.....but after last weeks viral flare don't want to go back there either.....

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
my problem now is whether to take my weekly vit d supplement 50000iu
I am worried about my osteoporosis.....but after last weeks viral flare don't want to go back there either.....
Is that number supposed to have 4 zeros? If so, did a health care practitioner recommend it?

Your bones need a lot more than calcium and vitamin D. I was recently diagnosed with osteopenia/osteoporosis and my doctor recommended that I take a supplement that contains: Vitamin D3, Vitamin K1 & K2 (MK7), Folic Acid (should be methylfolate), Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Selenium, Copper, Manganese, Molybdenum, Ipriflavone, and Boron.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Little Bluestem thanks
yes it was prescribed by a doc.
I need to take minerals but can't tolerate oral ones -just waiting for some transdermal ones to come in. what a bind...........