• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you deal with Die-off from Antivirals?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just started on Famvir. I took 125 mgs 2 times yesterday then this morning I took 250 mgs.

Last night lying in bed I was breathing like I ran a marathon which is not normal for me.

This morning I could barely get out of bed (before my morning dose) and I have a headache, mild nausea and I'm still clobbered.

I did take some Senna last night (a brand I hadn't used before) so it may be some of that but I'm going to assume this is herxing, which is a good thing. It's killing some critters that the acyclovir was not.

I'm going to go back down to 125 mgs twice a day since this is so much fun!

Do I just tough if out? I don't really want an antiemetic since the nausea is not that bad and they are too sedating.

Thanks

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Inester7, That was my plan but then I decided to try 250 mgs and that just did me in so back to my original plan.

I went up really slowly when I started on Acyclovir and had no problems at all.

Thanks

vamah

With valcyte I mostly just toughed it out and got a lot of rest. I did not have nausea though.

You can try things for detox like chlorella (which I personally don't like), warm baths, drink lots of water.

Reaction only lasted for about a week for me, then slowly went back to my baseline. Hope it doesn't last too long for you.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm drinking a lot of water. I just did it to myself by starting too quickly. I'm feeling a tad better so won't take any tonight and then start on 125 mgs tomorrow.

Can't take cholorella. It constipates me.

I can handle a week if I had to. I'm lucky I live alone so can do what I want an when I want.

Thanks all.

SOC

Theoretically, you shouldn't herx with antivirals like you might with some antibacterials. I think that's because the usual antivirals don't directly kill the virus-infected cells, they just stop the virus from replicating. The infected cells still need to be killed off by your immune system or die a natural death -- or something like that. o_O

So you shouldn't get the sudden massive die-off of the pathogen that is thought to cause the Herxheimer reaction. I'd guess it's more likely that you are having a bad rxn to the antiviral itself. Backing down on your dose (and calling your doc, of course) seems like a good idea in that case. You might have to start low and go slow to get up to a therapeutic dose.

ukxmrv

Could it be IRIS?

or another type of immune reaction?

I remember when having IVIG we were told to take Benadryl in case of a bad reaction.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I spoke to someone who got Famvir from Dr. Rey so I'm going to follow that protocol

125 a day for a week, then add 125 a day for a week, another 125 week 3 and then 250 twice a day.

I also am going to stay on 800 mgs acyclovir while doing this. I feel much better on it and if it helps all the better. I'll stop once I"m on the full dose of Famvir.

@ukxmrv, could be any but no way to know and doesn't alter the fact I took too much and had a bad reaction.

ukxmrv

Good luck Minkeygirl,

Sorry to hear about the bad reaction. Wasn't trying to negate it or anything by suggesting IRIS. Bad reactions as I have found out can be dangerous.

Glad to hear you are better with the Acyclovir.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Good luck Minkeygirl,

Sorry to hear about the bad reaction. Wasn't trying to negate it or anything by suggesting IRIS. Bad reactions as I have found out can be dangerous.

Glad to hear you are better with the Acyclovir.

I know you weren't. I was just saying I didn't know. MUCH better day today. Will stick with 125 mgs daily for a week and will take at least 400 mgs acyclovir and go from there.