• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antiviral Dosage

Christopher

For those of us taking antivirals currently, I am wondering what dosages you guys are on. Am I correct that the "standard" dosage right now for valtrex and famvir is 1gm 2xd? Not sure about Valcyte.

I have just been prescribed famvir 500mg 3xd.

SOC

I meant to say 4xd not 2xd. Sorry!

Yes, that's the common dosage for Valtrex. However, smart infectious disease docs more likely use a by-weight dosing rather than one-size-fits-all. Not a big deal if you're an average size adult, but if you are especially small or exceptionally large, the common dosage might not be ideal for you.

As for Valcyte, the most knowledgeable docs seem to be using 1350 mg daily. That dosage seems to be more related to how fast the liver can clear it than the size of the patient. Or something like that. o_O Higher doses seem to make more people sick and lower doses don't seem to do the trick.

Christopher

Ah bummer. Does not seem like the famvir I was prescribed is sufficient. Doc is waiting for bloodwork to come in so maybe it will be adjusted after that. I am dealing with a suspected viral reactivation after an ALA chelation trial.

vamah

I am on 1350 mg valcyte per day. 900 in the morning and 450 at night. I was on 1800, then 900, then 1800 again (long story). Now trying 1350 long term since that seems to be what the experts are recomending now.