• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Gut Crusade

I am trying zinc carnosine now. It's the first zinc supplement that gives me no stomach pain.
I have been lazy and not taken the full 2 tablets a day dose. I keep forgetting.
I don't feel a difference yet

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I am more into the loose stools team :cautious: Had constipation only for some months. Vitamin C will be added to my protocol because is the most important nutrient for the adrenals.

redrachel76 It takes a minimum of 6 months to really notice benefits according to the case reports done with CFS patients that improved treating leaky gut. But I would say you should notice something before.

I have been lazy and not taken the full 2 tablets a day dose. I keep forgetting.

That happens to me when I think something is not working/will not work (like Bach´s Flower Essences lol). When I have hope with something I NEVER forget to do it.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
So, update. After a week on the supps and paleo diet, my intestinal discomfort is very reduced. Howeeeever, my stools are still pasty and sticky. I think I am defintely not absorbing the Cod Liver Oil.

I plan to add NAC, Curcumin and L-Carnitine to the mix. The original protocol by Maes is actually very remarkable in antioxidant and antinflammatory potential.

I got a new GP and she is very good. She reciped me stool testing! We will see.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Ever since starting the supplements, the earthing device that was making me sleep at 12 or 12:30 PM is no longer working. I am up at 2 AM while writing this. These last months I was beginning to forget how my life was even worse when I had strong insomnia. I am stopping the glutamine in hopes that it was making my glutamate higher ( I have very low GABA and lots of GAD1 mutations). The hole gets deeper when you don´t sleep or sleep at the wrong hours. I get agressive and eventually suicidal (just in theory never in praxis though!).

I had been drugging myself with 100 mgs of Benadryl the last four days just to fall asleep at 2 AM. Luckily I had some leftover melatonin (which normally makes me wake up itching all over) and took a few pills. Will discuss with this new GP about me trying Neurotin or Gabapentin or some of that good stuff some lucky people get. Good night.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Still taking everything. My mood seems better, but that is so subjective... energy is better, sleep is shit, and thus malaise and pain are up. I feel like the cod liver oild is very healthy. Going to do a trial of L-Glutathione reduced. Resveratrol and Propolis. Those should be good for my gut. We´ll see.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Good news to update. This is what is been happening with some weeks into the treatment:
-No gut pain, at times slight discomfort.
-InulinFOS is working, I got gas and then for the first time in half a year I had constipation for two days, then passed a large hard stool. Nowadays my stools are usually well formed and harder, with no food particles.

Apart from the supplements things that I consider highly helpful for my gut are: raw honey, raw ginger juice and raw vegetable juices everyday (specifically red cabbage,cucumbers,carrots, brocoli, cauliflower, celery, romaine lettuce). I want to add water kefir (again lol!).

Sadly I still have nose eczema and dandruff so clearly this is just the beginning of the war.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
So here is the thing, I have now realised that I have candida big time. Of course I have leaky gut too but recently I´ve been eating a lot of fruit and have noticed it gives me looser stools and sometimes diarreah. The effect is very obvious. And I am addicted to fruit, no joke. I have been aware that fruit is bad for me since I saw all these undigested fruit bits coming from my colon in the colonic sessions, and that was two years ago. If I go without fruit for some days I end on my knees and eating fruit in the middle of the night. Also, I crave honey and it gives me a LOT of dandruff and more flaky eczema. Finally I have smelly feet and that is a candida symptom.

So, now I am taking coconut oil, raw garlic and will do a low carb, low fruit diet. Propolis and resveratrol both have some anticandida effect. But at the end something is depressing my immune system to let candida overgrow so the rabbit hole goes way deeper than just candida as all the veterans know.

Last edited:

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I´ve been getting pretty solid BM´s and intestinal inflammation/discomfort is almost non existent. Only drawback is that now I dont go to the bathroom everyday, so I have bounced to the constipation territory slightly. Steatorrhea is still very notoriously present.

knackers323

So here is the thing, I have now realised that I have candida big time. Of course I have leaky gut too but recently I´ve been eating a lot of fruit and have noticed it gives me looser stools and sometimes diarreah. The effect is very obvious. And I am addicted to fruit, no joke. I have been aware that fruit is bad for me since I saw all these undigested fruit bits coming from my colon in the colonic sessions, and that was two years ago. If I go without fruit for some days I end on my knees and eating fruit in the middle of the night. Also, I crave honey and it gives me a LOT of dandruff and more flaky eczema. Finally I have smelly feet and that is a candida symptom.

So, now I am taking coconut oil, raw garlic and will do a low carb, low fruit diet. Propolis and resveratrol both have some anticandida effect. But at the end something is depressing my immune system to let candida overgrow so the rabbit hole goes way deeper than just candida as all the veterans know.

Hi Beyond,

I am also trying to work out if candida is an issue for me.
Have you had a stool test for it?
I have but twice it came back as not being an issue.
I do however get eczema, dandruff and smelly feet ( have had these things since a child) and have taken quite a bit of antibiotics in the past.

Is there a way to know for sure?

How much raw garlic do you take? Is it doing anything?

When you eat the candida diet does it have any effect on symptoms?

Thanks

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I´ve been getting pretty solid BM´s and intestinal inflammation/discomfort is almost non existent. Only drawback is that now I dont go to the bathroom everyday, so I have bounced to the constipation territory slightly. Steatorrhea is still very notoriously present.

My BMs have only become almost always healthy since I was on the leaky-gut diet for about 18 months. It's over-exertion that tends to mess it up sometimes now, but I've been getting away with quite a lot of exertion recently. Did you see this paper about exertion causing leaky gut in athletes? I would guess we are even more prone to this due to our excessive lactate production during exertion, which is what I think causes the problems.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey knackers. Nah diet only seems to affect a bit well being and especially the degree of dandruff and eczema I get. For example raw honey often gives me a TON of both.

Raw garlic is slightly aphrodisiac and can get your tum upset. Other than that, no I haven´t noticed a thing. Oh yeah your mouth odor will be a problem!

I don´t know if I have candida or not, never got tested. I also have the geographic and coated tongue. I think these symptoms are rooted in the GI tract but not sure. I have never managed to get detox from candida, although once I got a really strong detox from a liver cleanse.

dannybex

It seems the pasty/sticky stools I am getting since months are a symptom of IBS, as so are the dull pains at mornings: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Irritable-Bowel-Syndrome-IBS/Sticky-Stool/show/782157

Makes sense, I have defficiency of all fat soluble vitamins.

Then it may be a symptom of poor bile flow. I've been unable to tolerate fatty foods, so have eaten low fat for years, which just ends up making things worse. The poor gallbladder supposedly holds on to it's bile, the bile becomes thick, until one uses something like ox bile extracts or SAMe to help stimulate bile flow. And then one (supposedly) can slowly increase fatty foods and the GB will be able to do it's job better.

But from everything I've read, pale stools are a sign of insufficient bile/poor gallbladder function.

MeSci

Then it may be a symptom of poor bile flow. I've been unable to tolerate fatty foods, so have eaten low fat for years, which just ends up making things worse. The poor gallbladder supposedly holds on to it's bile, the bile becomes thick, until one uses something like ox bile extracts or SAMe to help stimulate bile flow. And then one (supposedly) can slowly increase fatty foods and the GB will be able to do it's job better.

But from everything I've read, pale stools are a sign of insufficient bile/poor gallbladder function.

Mine are only pale for a short time when I have over-exerted myself now, and often only slightly pale. They used to be like that a lot of the time, sometimes very pale and flaky and/or floating. I eat quite a lot of fat now (coconut oil and nuts). So the leaky-gut diet seems to have fixed the problem, whatever it was. I also used to get frequent dull pain in the upper-right abdomen, which I suspected was my liver but a GP thought was my gall bladder. I may never know now!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Getting raw propolis chunks from the local bee farmer wasn´t a good idea. For whatever reason it worsens my intestinal inflammation. I will go back to the capsules ASAP. I should have stacked with something that worked...

Right now my inflammed gut is bad enough to make me eat aloe vera pulp for breakfast and my diet has been reduced to white rice, sweet potatoes and meat. I get some vitamins and minerals from my usual daily liter of vegetable juice. I feel a bit like when I finished that stupid water fast of 14 days, then my intestinal inflammation was a lot worse. Back then eating Aloe Vera like mad wasn´t of much help but is the least I can do. Now excuse me because I will need to peel, chew and swallow the *yummy* aloe vera that I am taking for second time today. :thumbsup:

Who is to say that being ill is not a LOT of work? Now call me lazy again and I will feel insulted, again.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I am happy to announce I have found other thing that helps my gut besides Y.S. Eco Propolis in capsules. It is Raw Aloe Vera Pulp. I ate this in the past and it didn´t seem to help. What I am doing now is eating A LOT of it AND not eating almost anything else, except boiled basmati rice and my usual veggie juices. That way you let the "leaky gut" rest from the autoimmunity and inflammation for a while. The second day of doing this (today!) my gut is basically pain free.

MeSci

I am happy to announce I have found other thing that helps my gut besides Y.S. Eco Propolis in capsules. It is Raw Aloe Vera Pulp. I ate this in the past and it didn´t seem to help. What I am doing now is eating A LOT of it AND not eating almost anything else, except boiled basmati rice and my usual veggie juices. That way you let the "leaky gut" rest from the autoimmunity and inflammation for a while. The second day of doing this (today!) my gut is basically pain free.

Hope it lasts!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
It didn´t last. In some more than a week I have consumed the two big aloe vera plants we had. Tomorrow I will see what they have in the herb-shop for aloe vera juice. I am now just taking all these adrenal supplements that make me feel slightly different (I seem more prone to make jokes and laugh, but strangely I am thinking in suicide as well) and pee fluorescent. My gut is better from all these kilos of aloe vera but not is not enough and most of foods aggravate it. For now. I am not eating fruits or nuts or almost anything :cry:. I am suffering the agony of having a sore intestine that does not want food and a person that is hungry. I am one that has always loved eating. Will start again doing fermented vegetables and will try seriously to do bone broths and stick religiously to all the things you can do at home for leaky gut. Oh my God does coconut oil taste horrible!! I hate it but I have to take it everyday from now I guess.

When I can I will start again the propolis capsules, a good probiotic and other things for leaky gut. I feel like it has been foolish to buy 2 months worth of adrenal treatment with this gut state but hey, most of it I am taking it sublingually so no harm. I just wish I had a real doctor or someone to oversee me, do testing and take the decisions. The desperate with cognitive problems from illness are not the best decision makers.

BTW the huge amounts of aloe vera triggred a herx. No joke! I got a day of herxing characterized by a strong headache and nausea/malaise. Had to take a painkiller but it wasn´t until I took my melatonin that the pain subsided. Interesting uh? Melatonin is antinflammatory and antioxidant.