• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need Advice - Hair Metals High Mn Ba - Food Intolerance

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Has anyone found anything more about the tie between CBS +/+ and the G6PDF enzyme causing glucogen issues? I have this problem really bad. Over 50 if I don't take my DHEA I am a bundle of shakes and food doesn't stop it. I ran out of DHEA and it is GRIM! This was a problem BEFORE I ever took DHEA (I was driven to take DHEA).

Ok I'm still alive... did the following

extracted barium fluoride aluminum filled (heliomolar i think) tooth... was amalgam

extracted lithium disilicate aluminum fluoride (empress II i think) tooth... crown

eating organic only

drinking mountain valley spring water in glass bottles 5 gallon in ceramic crock

drinking silica rich mineral water fuji, volvic, spritzer, gerolsteiner, evian, etc...

no casein/gluten or other allergies, mustard almonds still eat some eggs

live under air cleaners

use emf meters DC and AC, working on dirty electricity and other things still to use cell phones, wifi, computer placement correctly

eat coconut oil, drink raw goat milk, nothing processed

eating paleo 50% acid 50% alkaline & 50% carbs 30% fat 20% protein with some ocassional fruit no rice makes skin burn I think (arsenic?)

take hydroxy B12 crumble every day

juice beets, carrots, spinach, ginger etc about once a day

Was bed ridden and light headed walking to car into store back into house... now can jog in place for 10 minutes... terrible tendonitis and knee pain, using magnesium spray for it...

Sleeping better, still some vertigo, lightheadedness, spaceyness, fatigue, shortness of breath... but much improved...

Just about to start multis / active B's and methylfolate, got my eye on methylfolate mostly, not sure if I should use a base multi (see Dr Wilson Yin, seems my disease is very yin and vitamins are too yin)....

here are my gene results

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result

COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+

COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+

COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-

VDR Bsm rs1544410 CC -/-

VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+

VDR Fok-I not found n/a n/a

MAO A R297R rs6323 T +

ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-

MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-

MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-

MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-

MTR A2756G rs1805087 AA -/-

MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+

MTRR H595Y rs10380 CC -/-

MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-

MTRR R415T rs2287780 CC -/-

MTRR S257T not found n/a n/a

MTRR A664A rs1802059 GG -/-

BHMT-01 not found n/a n/a

BHMT-02 rs567754 CC -/-

BHMT-04 rs617219 AA -/-

BHMT-08 rs651852 TT +/+

AHCY-01 rs819147 CT +/-

AHCY-02 rs819134 AG +/-

AHCY-19 rs819171 CT +/-

CBS C699T rs234706 GG -/-

CBS A360A rs1801181 AG +/-

CBS N212N rs2298758 GG -/-

SUOX S370S not found n/a n/a

NOS3 D298E not found n/a n/a

SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277 GG -/-

One odd thing is single hetero CBS but all AHCY hetero constant sulfury/brocolli like taste in mouth (eating too much greens) can't handle kale or cruciferous very well makes brain fog severe... any ideas what to do about this other than avoid for now?

Mostly looking for advice on how to ease into methylfolate... any advice?

Last edited:

stridor

Congratulations on your progress.
It would be interesting to know how much mfolate is in your *excellent* diet.
Your genetics explains a lot about your symptoms. I have seen it written that even those with your COMT panel try to ease into mB12....and Mg is your friend.

So what are you doing about your possible metal intox? By now, you know that your testing points to disrupted metal metabolism and that your hair values can not be taken at face value. Have you considered going to Yahoo's FDC site and have someone read your results? My brother, Brian "resides" there and would be happy to help.

Most with mercury toxicity (and by now you know this has as much to do with genetics as it does with exposure) will have a hard time with sulphur foods. Single thiol molecules found in these foods and some supplements such as NAC can mobilize mercury. Theoretically, drag mercury from your little toe where it was doing no harm and giving it access to important metabolic pathways (methionine synthase, for example) or the brain.

(Warning: my theory...I believe that since most with ME may have CCSVI = Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency with the increased pressure on the blood-brain-barrier, that we may be more susceptible to CNS loading by Hg).

Violeta

In your first message you said you were waiting on a porphyrin test. Did you get the results? (Although porphyria
dx can be hard to get.)

Someone had been telling me for years that I had porphyria symptoms,(which BTW after looking into it is almost the same as methylation issues), but I didn't seriously consider it until I read Steven Rochlitz's article about porphyria. His words "universal reactor" are what caught me. Even if you don't have the drop dead symptoms, although not being able to walk more than a couple of feet is getting pretty close, the acute type brought on by amalgams and what not, can be very disabling.

The good thing about considering porphyria is that the list of triggers can help you avoid crashes. (example...cruciferous vegetables)

Also, there are several things that you can take that ease up symptoms, such as glucose and activated charcoal.

Instead of trying to take vitamins, you might want to consider reishi, cordyceps, and chaga. They are good for the adrenals, liver, kidneys, joint pain, etc. Another thing that might improve your vitamin status without taking vitamins is choline/inositol. It clears out the liver. Reishi clears out the liver and relieves the adrenals, but choline breaks up the congestion in the liver fairly quickly.

I am starting to consider my methylation issues more of a thing where I have to clear out toxins and strengthen organs than take the right vitamins. If you clear out toxins and strengthen organs, you can start to get nutrition from your food. When I came down with terrible joint and tendon pain (I had been eating liver), I found some online books that explain the metabolism of purines and the issues that retained uric acid causes. Getting out uric acid can relieve most other toxicities, including metals and pathogens, which is probably why the mushrooms that I mentioned relieve so many symptoms.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your progress.
It would be interesting to know how much mfolate is in your *excellent* diet.
Your genetics explains a lot about your symptoms. I have seen it written that even those with your COMT panel try to ease into mB12....and Mg is your friend.

Thank You, it has been a wild ride, the mfolate is probably only like 10mcg, I cannot find the paper with the mfolate content of fruits and vegetables but there is some I recall 1-2 mcg per serving of most green stuff and raw dairy.

mB12 has been the most powerful thing I used, it was like being on marijuana, which I used when I was 13 or so in the boy scouts, haha... made my vision grainy, twitching all over, heart pounding, but it went away completely... Never had a desire to use marijuana again...

I haven't taken mB12 since April or so, but it had a severe reaction with the pounding heart, floater popping up in my left vision, derealized, grainy vision accentuated... A lot of doctors will dx panic disorder for grainy vision, but some research indicates that it is a lack of oxygen to the cells of the retina, optic nerve or vision processing areas of the brain... Seems modern medicine hasn't found a treatment other than Klonipen, seriously...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow

There currently is no established treatment for visual snow. In HPPD, clonazepam has been recommended as medication of first choice in patients seeking medical help.[4]

So what are you doing about your possible metal intox? By now, you know that your testing points to disrupted metal metabolism and that your hair values can not be taken at face value. Have you considered going to Yahoo's FDC site and have someone read your results? My brother, Brian "resides" there and would be happy to help.

My biggest metal on blood testing was Aluminum and I used to polish, machine, grind Aluminum parts all day for months, seems Aluminum is best detoxed with Silica.

see 47 minutes

there are countless NCBI articles that state relapsing MS, Kidney disease are caused by Aluminum and others that show silica and organic acids made by fruits and vegetables being more effective than EDTA chelation, the plants and animals also depend on silica and organic acids for detox of aluminum...

Also aluminum makes copper unavailable, I have several of the Wilson's disease genes, which confer bacterial resistance to things like Lyme, but make me susceptible to Aluminum along with A1298C BH4 / ammonia problems that can explain the post-meal ammonia like symptoms, not only does silica (bioavailable monomeric silicic acid) remove Aluminum it also increases ceruloplasm (wilsons disease issue) and improves copper biovailability, which is criticial for general immunity, sulfur tends to deplete biovailable copper as well as organic acids, so the yin in them I am avoiding until I become more balanced....

In your first message you said you were waiting on a porphyrin test. Did you get the results? (Although porphyria
dx can be hard to get.)

The porphrins are at the bottom of page 1...

When I came down with terrible joint and tendon pain (I had been eating liver), I found some online books that explain the metabolism of purines and the issues that retained uric acid causes. Getting out uric acid can relieve most other toxicities, including metals and pathogens, which is probably why the mushrooms that I mentioned relieve so many symptoms.

Mushrooms are a critical detox of negative ions like Bromide and Fluoride, they are loaded with chitin, the Chinese have a big problem with Fluoride poisoning and are looking at penguins who eat artic krill that are loaded with fluoride and believe they detox it through the chitin shell in the shrimp, mushrooms have the same chitin and it is an "anion exchange resin" like a "cation exchange resin" for positive ions like metals, biotoxins, dioxins, etc, for example cholestyramine, EDTA, citrate and others to some extent.

http://www.fluorideresearch.org/432/files/FJ2010_v43_n2_p108-118.pdf

Uric acid is a big one, beer, meats and fruit/fructose seems to be the triggers for that and it causes all kind of damage in the body, gout, aging, alzheimers, diabetes, heart disease, inflammation, etc.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/03/13/richard-johnson-interview.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-acid-levels-may-forewarn-dementia-risks.aspx

Also two big things I am working on include solvent exposure... thinking car leaks gasoline into cab, wife always notices and I feel bad when I go out, considering a meter for it, possibly MCS symptom... but organic acid test showed xylene exposure so high metametrix's instruments could not measure it...

Also, thinking I have diastolic dysfunction, my best early doctor suggested a cardiologist which I did not want to go to, only 30 and autonomic dysfunction my early doctor suspected is untreatable, but he also thought solvent/heavy metal exposure explained my symptoms...

Last edited:

Violeta

there are countless NCBI articles that state relapsing MS, Kidney disease are caused by Aluminum and others that show silica and organic acids made by fruits and vegetables being more effective than EDTA chelation, the plants and animals also depend on silica and organic acids for detox of aluminum...

The porphrins are at the bottom of page 1...

Mushrooms are a critical detox of negative ions like Bromide and Fluoride, they are loaded with chitin, the Chinese have a big problem with Fluoride poisoning and are looking at penguins who eat artic krill that are loaded with fluoride and believe they detox it through the chitin shell in the shrimp, mushrooms have the same chitin and it is an "anion exchange resin" like a "cation exchange resin" for positive ions like metals, biotoxins, dioxins, etc, for example cholestyramine, EDTA, citrate and others to some extent.

Uric acid is a big one, beer, meats and fruit/fructose seems to be the triggers for that and it causes all kind of damage in the body, gout, aging, alzheimers, diabetes, heart disease, inflammation, etc.

http://www.fluorideresearch.org/432/files/FJ2010_v43_n2_p108-118.pdf

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/03/13/richard-johnson-interview.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-acid-levels-may-forewarn-dementia-risks.aspx

I didn't know that about silica. I very easily come up with a silica deficiency when I eat white rice or raw milk. Silica has something to do with having a bad reaction to vaccines, but I'm not sure if a bad reaction to vaccines causes silica deficiency or if one has the deficiency before the vaccine, and thus is hurt more by a vaccine than someone else might be.

I didn't know that about mushrooms, either, that they detox negative ions like bromide and fluoride and positive ions like metals, etc. It looks like they have a lot covered. The list of what chaga mushroom is good for is so comprehensive. Actually, what made me realize that chaga is good for uric acid diseases is that the list for what it cures matches very well with the list of what uric acid causes. I think reishi and I know cordyceps do the same.

From what I read in the books about uric acid, it sounds like pathogens make up their residence in a body that has uric acid stores. Also, uric acid binds to some of the heavy metals such as mercury, which would seem to be why mercury gets stuck in some people's body and not others quite so much in others.

Also, from the books that I read about uric acid, it can cause migraines, too. That was the symptom that I had the longest, mostly when I was eating vegetarian. The joint and tendon pain started while I was eating liver, raw milk, and pineapple juice. Removing any of them could reduce the pain; I chose to remove the high purine foods. I stuck with the dairy for as long as I could and got a lot of the uric acid out. I've been eating fish, but one of my legs just fell asleep while sitting here for a few minutes, so I think I might have to cut it out again.

Do you take a silica supplement, and if so, which one? I saw what you said about the monomeric silicic acid, but I don't know what that is. I have some diatomaceous earth, and have taken that at intervals, but I don't know if that's a good form or not. I also have a silica cell salt, if that would be good enough.

I don't know how to read the porphyrin test sheet; were your levels all okay?

Why do you suppose the reishi bothered you?

Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
Do you take a silica supplement, and if so, which one? I saw what you said about the monomeric silicic acid, but I don't know what that is. I have some diatomaceous earth, and have taken that at intervals, but I don't know if that's a good form or not. I also have a silica cell salt, if that would be good enough.

Biosil is a good supplement or a silica mineral water, grapes, thin skinned fruit, oats, cucumbers and grains have natural silica are a food source.

I don't know how to read the porphyrin test sheet; were your levels all okay?

I told the doctor I had 0 mercury on the blood test, but she said that the porphrins almost indicated toxicity of mercury, so there is some there still... half life of 90 or so days and had the amalgam out in March this year, so it is probably just tissue and bone reserves that still need to come out, half life of a couple of years there iirc.

Why do you suppose the reishi bothered you?

Never tried it, not sure, just do organic portobella and crimini, might start growing my own, there are kits at whole foods.

Critterina

@healing1 ,
You say that you have trouble with high histamine foods, but you eat spinach? You might stop spinach ( and tomatoes, pumpkin, and peppers) and see if it helps.
You also mentioned crazy hair loss a while ago. Has anyone checked your cortisol? If your adrenals aren't working, it would explain some of the symptoms. Thyroid too, depending on which hair (head, body, privates).

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/84/1/167/T1.expansion seems to indicate about 50% of food folate is methylfolate in egg yolk, spinach and yeast... but I can tell you the effect is very different than metafolin...

Can barely tolerate methylfolate and am doing what those below do, makes a strong metallic taste, dry mouth and derealization... It is unfortunate when nervous effects overlap body effects, because you can get the "placebo effect" label or even worse "mental illness" label despite its positive effects on neurotransmitters, detoxification and nerve maintenance/rebuilding.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(04)00302-8/abstract

Effect of folic acid supplementation on aluminum accumulation in rats

Conclusion

These results suggest that folate supplementation might be useful to decrease Al accumulation in its main target organs, i.e., bone, kidney, and brain.

http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/

Your wife certainly can split the pills into smaller doses. Some people literally must start with crumbs. Some people dilute that crumb in a quart of water and drink one drop. Unfortunately this really is trial and error as to what doses your wife can tolerate as she starts out. You can read how other people have done it at Phoenix Rising.

As for histamines, they seem to be less of an issue since starting the silica rich mineral water and rebuilding copper supplies along with the dental extractions.

The hair loss seems to come and go, not sure why, I guess phases of detox along with coated tongue, vertigo, etc... Thyroid checked, still "normal" but the trend has been more TSH and T3 and T4 are normal, no antibodies checked both, forget exactly what they are, although did have an ultrasound and found a small mass on the thyroid recommended I recheck at a later date.

Kinda gave up on getting a diagnosis or "official" treatment (usually just get anxiety or memory loss, of which I have neither), just looking at research journals, forums and doing my best to get good diet, low toxicity environment, exercise and taking a few supplements, mostly simple ones like B12, methylfolate (folic acid) and mineral water... it is hard to tell which is a supplement and which are just foods / waters...

Thinking of going to Bastyr University, then I can come back and help everyone else heal their bodies!

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-mutations-help-wanted/2011/09/09/

Medicine is profit driven. Period.

The reason MTHFR is not at the forefront of awareness right now is because there is no money in it.

If MTHFR was at the forefront, think how many billions of dollars would be saved by preventing cancer, embolisms prevented, strokes prevented, schizophrenia and bipolar and depression drastically reduced and mothers not losing their infants to placenta previa or eclampsia.

I’m frustrated just like you.

I happened to stop my highly paid six-figure salary a year company to attend medical school. My parents thought I was nuts.

I didn’t. My wife didn’t either.

We both knew that if we want to get anywhere in terms of health, we need to know how our bodies work inside and out.

So – I invested over $200,000 on my medical education at Bastyr University. I walked off that beautiful campus ready to open a clinic and help 8 to 12 patients a day.

Then I woke up a few years later and realized how many millions of people are receiving inadequate health care. In fact, you are not receiving health care at all.

You are receiving ill care.

Last edited:

Valentijn

Thinking of going to Bastyr University, then I can come back and help everyone else heal their bodies!
My Naturopathic Doctor went to Bastyr, and still teaches there part time. In addition to being a licensed ND (roughly equivalent to being an MD in Washington State), he's also an NP. He does a great job of blending the naturopathic and conventional approaches, and is very focused on the entire illness and searching for causes and treatments.

I'd also like to go back to school to get into the medical field if I recover enough - it's really awful how little basic medical care there is for ME patients. But I still have huge loans from law school :p

Update: 400 mcg metafolin crumble placed in water swish in the mouth yesterday, maybe 5 mcg total absorbed, fairly strong effects, anxiety, then restlessness for the remainder of the day, finally fell asleep about 5:30 am...

100 mcg sipping through day today alternating between anxiety, sluggishness and feeling AWESOME... food (lots of vegetable folate) enhanced the sluggishness I suppose that is a group 2 reaction, anxiety group 1 and feeling awesome I guess that is what we are all after!

Feel like I have accomplished something, hopefully progress continues to come.

Valentinjin, you know it is hard not to get into medicine when going through something like this, because most doctors never have and think they know "your" body better than "you" do, the biggest lesson I've learned is to listen to my body and find a doctor who listens, still searching, haha!

One more update... took 400 mcg 3 days felt pretty good, started getting swings up, down, anxiety, restless, palpitations, took 1 mg meB12 second day and 2 mg meB12 third day. meB12 made stinging sensation, (stinging skin seems to happen over and over, B6, rice, cholestyramine all triggers, thinking folate deficiency/Arsenic/copper deficiency) from MTRR A66G and compound heterzygote MTHFR where meB12 pushed THF to 5-MTHF with compound MTHFR blocking any 5,10-MTHF from becoming 5-MTHF...

stopped for a day, anxiety extreme, histamine reactions extreme, red dots on neck after banana and very hyper feeling... eventually took a little methylfolate, it calmed everything down! eat something get an anxious feeling, sip on some methylfolate dissolved in water clears it instantly!

oddly enough, loose bowels, anxiety, histamines all seem to be cured with methylfolate and to a lesser extent hydroxyb12, methylb12 and avoiding methylfolate seem to make it worse...

Freddd is right, more methylfolate, not less, crazy! especially with the histamine issue!