• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advertise in Wall Street Journal or???

Andrew

During the XMRV thing, ME/CFS patients took out ads in the Wall Street Journal. My impression is one of our members (Tina) was involved in this, so I sent her a PM asking for advice. I have not heard back, and it's possible she is out of the loop now, as I have not seen her here in a long time. So, I'm asking if anyone else here knows people who were involved in this, and will you please contact them to help.

We have to go big, folks. This IOM could destroy us. I have no special skills in this and that's why I'm asking others if they can do this.

Lynn

During the XMRV thing, ME/CFS patients took out ads in the Wall Street Journal. My impression is one of our members (Tina) was involved in this, so I sent her a PM asking for advice. I have not heard back, and it's possible she is out of the loop now, as I have not seen her here in a long time. So, I'm asking if anyone else here knows people who were involved in this, and will you please contact them to help.

We have to go big, folks. This IOM could destroy us. I have no special skills in this and that's why I'm asking others if they can do this.

Hi Andrew,

The ad was in the Washington Post. I worked on the graphic part of the ad but was not involved in the fund raising. You may be able to reach Tina through PANDORA, although I don't think PANDORA is in alignment with the advocacy letter asking that the IOM be stopped.

In my opinion, it would be hard to sway our government through advertising, especially in the short term.

Lynn

caledonia

I worked on the ad too. I'm not sure of the value of an ad either. I'm going with whatever the US Campaign for ME people are saying. There are several people with advocacy/activist experience, and I feel confident in their abilities. I have special skills and have volunteered to help. You're dealing with ME patients, so due to some crashes, it's taking a little while longer than I'm sure everyone wants, but things are in the works.

justinreilly

Im not either for this or against it. It seems like a reasonable course. Tina did lead it up and the ad cost, iirc, between $3,000 and $4,000. Someone brought this up on the Facebook group and there were a couple of posters who were against it. Noone else seemed to have an opinion. Some liked the idea of DC Metro advertising and that was priced out there. Ai think no further action was taken.

caledonia

Im not either for this or against it. It seems like a reasonable course. Tina did lead it up and the ad cost, iirc, between $3,000 and $4,000. Someone brought this up on the Facebook group and there were a couple of posters who were against it. Noone else seemed to have an opinion. Some liked the idea of DC Metro advertising and that was priced out there. Ai think no further action was taken.

An ad is a one-shot deal. We can do a whole year of grassroots advocacy for a lot less than $3-4k. Also, it will be, in my opinion, a lot more effective.