• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

venlafaxine

Hi all
My GP wants me to try 37.5 mg of venlafaxine to see if it will help my anxiety and depression related to my chronic ME.
has anyone taken this and had good or bad effects. She says its such a low dose but as I`m very sensitive to any meds in this genre I`m unsure as I know the side effects may not be nice.
Any positive or negative comments about this med will be appreciated

SOC

Cymbalta is a very similar med but also seems to have a positive effect for ME/CFS pain, so it is sometimes the preferred SNRI for us.

I switched from venlafaxine to cymbalta directly with no problems whatsoever and with the added benefit of reduced ME/CFS pain. Neither med gave me problems. When I came off the cymbalta I reduced by 15 mg a week with no problems.

Cymbalta is a very similar med but also seems to have a positive effect for ME/CFS pain, so it is sometimes the preferred SNRI for us.

I switched from venlafaxine to cymbalta directly with no problems whatsoever and with the added benefit of reduced ME/CFS pain. Neither med gave me problems. When I came off the cymbalta I reduced by 15 mg a week with no problems.
Did you have any side effects? what dose did you take? did it help you sleep? Is it hard to come off it.
Thanks

SOC

Did you have any side effects? what dose did you take? did it help you sleep? Is it hard to come off it.
Thanks
I had no side effects that I noticed. :) The most I ever took was 90mg. I wouldn't say it helped my sleep. Trazodone is the med that kept me asleep all night instead of waking 5-6 times. I had no trouble coming off cymbalta, but I did do it slowly and carefully. I've heard of other people that have had trouble coming off it, though.

vamah

I take cymbalta now. Much better than the effexor. I think my problems coming off effexor were that I was switching from an snri to an ssri (prozac) at the time, and my doc had me go off it too fast. If your doc is suggesting an snri, I would ask about cymbalta. It is more expensive, tho, because it isn't generic yet.

I take cymbalta now. Much better than the effexor. I think my problems coming off effexor were that I was switching from an snri to an ssri (prozac) at the time, and my doc had me go off it too fast. If your doc is suggesting an snri, I would ask about cymbalta. It is more expensive, tho, because it isn't generic yet.
is Cymbalta called duloxetine/?Im not sure its available in New Zealand but ill ask my gp. not sure what he difference is between that and Effexor. my main worry isthat im sensitive to all meds really. had a terrible time with amitryptylline.

SOC

is Cymbalta called duloxetine/?Im not sure its available in New Zealand but ill ask my gp. not sure what he difference is between that and Effexor. my main worry isthat im sensitive to all meds really. had a terrible time with amitryptylline.
Yes, duloxetine. It is used for some symptoms of fibromyalgia, so it shouldn't be a problem to ask for it instead of Effexor, since they're both SNRIs, but duloxetine has additional benefits for ME/FMS.

I'm sensitive to meds too. Venlafaxine made me feel so sick that I couldn't eat, so I stopped taking it after a few days. I've tried several anti-depressants (so long ago now that I can't remember them all) and they have never really touched anxiety or depression for me.

More recently I've been taking a combination of herbal teas, which if you're sensitive to meds may be a gentler way to go. Please read up though, and don't take them blindly. I find valerian and skullcap very helpful, but I know that not everyone does.

You might also like to have a look at hip's thread as lots of people had good things to say about the things that have helped his anxiety - http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nxiety-symptoms-with-three-supplements.18369/

I'm sensitive to meds too. Venlafaxine made me feel so sick that I couldn't eat, so I stopped taking it after a few days. I've tried several anti-depressants (so long ago now that I can't remember them all) and they have never really touched anxiety or depression for me.

More recently I've been taking a combination of herbal teas, which if you're sensitive to meds may be a gentler way to go. Please read up though, and don't take them blindly. I find valerian and skullcap very helpful, but I know that not everyone does.

You might also like to have a look at hip's thread as lots of people had good things to say about the things that have helped his anxiety - http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nxiety-symptoms-with-three-supplements.18369/
Thankyou for the info. Dr now wants me to try escitalopram. to start slowly like 1/4 of 10mg then work up. I can only give it a go. herbal teas sounds interesting. Like you I`ve tried that many hat they just make me feel worse,

IreneF

Hi all
My GP wants me to try 37.5 mg of venlafaxine to see if it will help my anxiety and depression related to my chronic ME.
has anyone taken this and had good or bad effects. She says its such a low dose but as I`m very sensitive to any meds in this genre I`m unsure as I know the side effects may not be nice.
Any positive or negative comments about this med will be appreciated

I took it several years ago. I tapered off very slowly, but even so I had a terrible withdrawal. I've taken plenty of psych meds, and that was the worst. I would recommend it only as a last resort. On another forum someone said kicking heroin was easier.

I also took it on and off several years, but it always made me so tired i couldn't shower and run my house here. I also took it togheter with methylphenidate and that was oke, but after time the methylphenidate didn't work anymore and i just was living on the sofa and in bed. Venlafaxine helped for anxiety but really made me very tired. I tried up to 300 mg, this was 10 years ago, but in the end i could not even have 37.5 mg and was alreaddy very tired.

Last edited:

SOC

I think too many docs, GPs and psychs, are not careful enough in the dose tapering, especially for PWME. A lot of the scare stories I've heard, when traced down to details, turn out to be from people who went on or came off relatively quickly. Not all cases, of course. We all have different physiologies, so meds are going to affect us differently.

I suggest anyone considering using a psychoactive med for whatever reason -- psych, pain, sleep -- start at a very low dose and increase the dose very slowly. The same for coming off, even if you are having difficult side effects. Psychoactive meds are serious meds that mess with your neurotransmitters. If you need them because your neurotransmitters are off, they're life-savers, but sometimes I think docs hand them out like candy or placebos to people whose bodies don't need them.

Last edited:

vamah

I think too many docs, GPs and psychs, are not careful enough in the dose tapering, especially for PWME. A lot of the scare stories I've heard, when traced down to details, turn out to be from people who went on or came off relatively quickly. No all cases, of course. We all have different physiologies, so meds are going to affect us differently.

I suggest anyone considering using a psychoactive med for whatever reason -- psych, pain, sleep -- start at a very low dose and increase the dose very slowly. The same for coming off, even if you are having difficult side effects. Psychoactive meds are serious meds that mess with your neurotransmitters. If you need them because your neurotransmitters are off, they're life-savers, but sometimes I think docs hand them out like candy or placebos to people whose bodies don't need them.
I agree. I have found it is way easier to get a doc to proscribe psych meds than pain meds or antibiotics. They are never comcerned about dependancy issues with psych meds the way they are with pain meds, even though its clearly an issue for some people. Its like they don't care how much they muck around with your brain chemicals, as long as you don't ask them to solve any physical problems.

I agree. I have found it is way easier to get a doc to proscribe psych meds than pain meds or antibiotics. They are never comcerned about dependancy issues with psych meds the way they are with pain meds, even though its clearly an issue for some people. Its like they don't care how much they muck around with your brain chemicals, as long as you don't ask them to solve any physical problems.
Decided not to take it after all. too many scary stories. am now going to try escitalopram but ive also bought some herbs that someone posted on a link.Any one also got terrible headaches aspart ofME andbad neck pain/ Could be related to my anxiety issues but very debilitating.

SOC

Decided not to take it after all. too many scary stories. am now going to try escitalopram but ive also bought some herbs that someone posted on a link.Any one also got terrible headaches aspart ofME andbad neck pain/ Could be related to my anxiety issues but very debilitating.
Scare stories are just that -- scare stories. Many more people have no problems with these meds than people who have horrible experiences. Yes, it's possible you will have a difficult time with the med, but the odds are against it, especially if you are careful with the dosing. If your body needs the med, then you should probably try it. If you genuinely have depression and anxiety, then it's likely your neurotransmitters are off and the med can correct that and you'll feel a lot better.

On the other hand, if the doc is prescribing antidepressants strictly for ME/CFS because it's easier to assume you're depressed than deal with the genuine illness, then you might be better off not taking ADs which would alter your neurochemistry.

Herbs can be worse than the meds because it's never clear how much of the psychoactive agent you are getting in any given supplement. Less control of dosage can mean more side effects. You're still altering your neurochemistry, you're just doing it with less control and understanding. Not always a great idea.

vamah

It is a very personal decision. You can always go back and look at those drugs later if what you are trying now doesn't work.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
generally only hear the bad stories on the internet with antidepressants so i think figures get very distorted. the general advice for cfsers and ad's is go low and slow. Lexapro is a good first choice as is zoloft, they seem to have the best profile out of all the ssri snri's, but u will find some have issues with those too. Also the first day of taking an AD can be either overstimulating or over sedating and from there these issues subside the longer one is on them.

cfs dosing for lexapro would be 2.5mg to 5mg, zoloft would be 12.5-25mg. make sure u get a prescription for tablets so u can cut them down, not capsules.

generally only hear the bad stories on the internet with antidepressants so i think figures get very distorted. the general advice for cfsers and ad's is go low and slow. Lexapro is a good first choice as is zoloft, they seem to have the best profile out of all the ssri snri's, but u will find some have issues with those too. Also the first day of taking an AD can be either overstimulating or over sedating and from there these issues subside the longer one is on them.

cfs dosing for lexapro would be 2.5mg to 5mg, zoloft would be 12.5-25mg. make sure u get a prescription for tablets so u can cut them down, not capsules.
I did take 2.5mg to start the other nigh as I can cut them up.t. Do you mean the maximum dose would be 2.5 -5mg Lexapro or is that the starting dose you meant. if it is then I`m starting low and slow like you say if I carry on with them.
Thankyou:)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I did take 2.5mg to start the other nigh as I can cut them up.t. Do you mean the maximum dose would be 2.5 -5mg Lexapro or is that the starting dose you meant. if it is then I`m starting low and slow like you say if I carry on with them.
Thankyou:)
A good starting dose and If It helps then stay at that dose. Dont expect big changes in cfs symptoms but just better mood and able tolerate all the crap better. A saying i have about antidepressants is they make u feel better about feeling like shit. Many of us need a boost every so often. Hope it works for you.

Cheers