• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sydney University Study - tick borne illness and CFS

Sea

Sponsored by the Karl McManus Foundation this study is evaluating people in Australia with a diagnosis of CFS to see if there is any evidence of a tick borne illness in blood samples.

Blood can be drawn at a local pathology lab, no need to visit Sydney.

http://www.karlmcmanusfoundation.org.au/foundation-news/193-newsletter

If anyone is interested I'll pm you the email address of the researcher

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
[quoteheapsreal, post: 399734, member: 187"]I read the link but how do we get in the study? Do we know if personal results are sent to those in the study?
Very interesting.[/quote]
Doh. U will pm the email please. Does lyme also make things u read not to sink ino_O

Last edited:

Sea

Antibiotics of some sort. I haven't looked into it in depth, just kept it in the back of my mind as something to pursue when the testing is less expensive and treatment more promising

heapsreal

i was looking into testing for lyme and it was dam expensive, im hoping its going to be more accurate plus free testing would be a bonus, something to rule out.
I had a strange rash on my back for years that would respond to abx etc so i think its a possibility?? Also when i was a kid we were always playing in the bush and then as an adult pre cfs i would go running down the bush tracks behind my parents home???

Sea

Yeah, I've had heaps of tick bites growing up on a farm and while bushwalking. So have my kids. All in Australia. I'm not ready to spend big dollars on testing until the accuracy issues are sorted though. I hope this Sydney uni testing at least gives an idea of whether further testing is necessary or can be ruled out.

knackers323

What are the current treatments used by Dr's for treating chronic lyme here in oz?

Dr Durham and dr mayne are two approaches in aust or there is an Aussie guy Dr Theodore working out of Bali who has a different tact that I've heard is much quicker and more effective but more expensive

Art Vandelay

i was looking into testing for lyme and it was dam expensive, im hoping its going to be more accurate plus free testing would be a bonus, something to rule out.

I saw a new doc last week who wants me to get a basic Igenex Lyme test (#4090). It apparently costs $260 with an extra $90 to FedEx for freight costs.

Last edited:
Sponsored by the Karl McManus Foundation this study is evaluating people in Australia with a diagnosis of CFS to see if there is any evidence of a tick borne illness in blood samples.

Blood can be drawn at a local pathology lab, no need to visit Sydney.

http://www.karlmcmanusfoundation.org.au/foundation-news/193-newsletter

If anyone is interested I'll pm you the email address of the researcher

I am very new to the diagnosis of CFS (all of two weeks)......and althought I am still in a state of shock.....I think I'd like to add my name to that study. It would be lovely if you could pass that email address on, please :)

heapsreal

Dam. Im going to have to email these guys about being on antibiotics.
Last few nights sleep has gone to crap and im starting to get frontal sinusitis again and will need antibiotics. I guess im going to need to be off abx for several weeks i guess?? Not sure if my sinusitis wouldlast very long off them.

Aarrgghh I just cant suffer it out just too painful and fatigue to hard to work with as well as bp going up.
Would like to get tested. Shall see what they say???

Cheers

Sea

Yep see what they say Heaps. I'm guessing they'll be able to work around what you need, especially as there are no set collection days like there would be if everyone was travelling to Sydney

Hope you get some relief from the sinus stuff soon. It's horrible

heapsreal

Seapost: 400344 said:
Yep see what they say Heaps. I'm guessing they'll be able to work around what you need, especially as there are no set collection days like there would be if everyone was travelling to Sydney

Hope you get some relief from the sinus stuff soon. It's horrible
Yes try and work around it. More peed off sinuses have come back. They can drop me hard. Panadeine helping at moment.

end

I remember reading up to 70% of us or more suffer with coinfection's associated with Lyme's

I guess with our immune disfunction/suppression - Th1 Th2/Th17 imbalances, comes pathogens of all kind's