• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urine therapy

Excuse my french but what the hell is that?

It is drinking your own pee in the
morning. Sounds a bit strange but it can have a lot of benefits so i read on the internet. I cannot get a link in this thread, i'm sorry. Maybe you can google it, 'urine therapy CFS'

leela

Well, pre-ME, I used to do it when it was clear I was coming down with a flu or something, especially if I was in a spot where I had no access to other solutions. It's super gross, but I have to admit it works.

But I decided that's only the case for people who are otherwise generally well--being in a prolonged illness state, I don't think
it it's a good idea.

Now you all think I'm insane!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have heard of drinking your own urine but not as a treatment for any disease and especially not ME/CFS.

Be my guest!

I did it the last 4 days and i can say i sleep a bit better. Have dreams in the night, that i normally don't have or cant remember. I just have to wait and see. Tried alot in my career ;-)
I am not on meds or supplements right now, but do smoke and have 2 glasses of alcohol every day, that isn't doing good for urine therapy. But i thought i give it a try.
It is maybe weird, but not so bad to drink.

... drinking your own pee, maybe Bear Grills can give us a heads up on that one - every time I watched those doco's thats what he seemed to get up to.:lol:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Flower1978
A friend of ours tried this when he was diagnosed with cancer - don't think it helped him.
Alcohol?? so you're one of the lucky ones - many MEers can't tolerate any alcohol.

I don't know if i have ME. I have energy problems, motivation/depressed problems. What is cannot tolerate? I mostly feel bad all day with or without the alcohol.

Last edited:

ukxmrv

Yes, a few members of my local ME support group tried this in the late 80's but it had no benefits for them. Yes, we really were that desperate then.

ukxmrv

There were few medications for ME then. Before they started on the urine therapy some members of the group had tried Nystatin for candida but most had given up by the time they tried the urine. Some may have been taking supplements of various types though.

leela

That's okay you don't have to drink it, Irene :)

However just for fun, here is a different picture of what the urine is:
Urine consists of 95% of water, 2.5% of urea and the remaining 2.5% is a mixture of minerals, salts, hormones and enzymes. Only urea , the substance after which urine is named, can be poisonous when present in the blood. However, this is irrelevant in the practice of drinking urine, as urine is not immediately put back in the bloodstream. In small amounts urea gets back into the body, it is purifying, and clears up excess mucus. Urine is entirely sterile after secretion and has an antiseptic effect.

One of the liver's most important functions is detoxification of the blood. The liver removes poisonous substances from the blood and either stores them or secretes them into the gall bladder. In the latter case, the poisonous substances end up as bile in the intestinal canal. They then leave the body in the form of defecation. After the blood is detoxified by the liver, it flows to the kidneys.

The kidney's most important function consists of balancing out all elements in the blood. They remove all superfluous vital substances from the blood, and filter out a surplus of water. This water and the vital substances consequently form urine. In order to save energy and bring the blood into balance, the kidneys remove unused enzymes from the blood. The same goes for hormones, minerals and other substances. It is clear that urine is full of vital elements, which can hardly be called waste products.

Daffodil

being from india, my dad's friend has done this his entire life. i think urine therapy is from there

leela

Oh, this reminds me of back when I could leave my house :cry: and I was in the ocean a lot.
I got stung really painfully by a bunch of wicked jellyfish and applying urine totally neutralized the pain.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
The Shoman in Central America use it for many things including snake bites, but most snake bite victims die, if they were bitten by a poisonous snake, because they can't get to the hospital in time to get anti-venom