• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing Potassium Deficiency - Share your experience

caledonia

Has anyone here tried http://www.iherb.com/Mt-Capra-Capra-Mineral-Whey-50-8-oz-1440-g/3105.
It looks really good with a whole bunch of potassium and other minerals.

I emailed the company to find out why there was so much potassium and they told me that it occurs naturally and they dehydrate the goatwhey. Then I asked about heavy metals esp mercury and they gave me the attached sheet.

So per 100g of mineral whey there is <3.6mcg mercury. I am not sure how I feel about that. Do you think it would be okay?

Unfortunately, whey contains a lot of glutamate. If your GABA and glutamate are not balanced, or you experience anxiety or feeling wired, this will probably send you through the roof.

howirecovered

Hi Mitford. It was massive for Me. My baseline creeped up to 3.2 g/day, with 1/2 AM and PM (1Tb K gluconate powder). Then I needed an additional tsp (540 mg) 1-2 x during day, plus in the middle of the night. So my increased needs probably totalled around 5g. I was also needing magnesium to accompany the K+, 400-800 mg several times a day.

I know metallothionine only by name, have no understanding about it. I also don't know why the need goes up w/ metal dumping. For me this dump took the form of a week long extreme diarrhea, so the most superficial explanation would say I had very depleted electrolytes just due to that. I don't have a scientific understanding. My zinc needs remained stable during this, but I tested for increased selenium, glycine, GABA. Then the episode ended, and now, 2-3 weeks later, I've resumed my lower doses, as well as needing to decrease my mfolate and TMG, due to over-methylation. This would fit the theory that the metals were suppressing my methylation, and their release has shifted things. ahmo

I don't think metals come out that fast... Isn't it possible your diarrhea was caused by potassium and magnesium?

howirecovered

i finally figured out how to bring my extreme alkaline pH down. D-Ribose works like a charm.

this was not easy to figure out because I'm trying to avoid sodium bicarbonate and potassium chloride. sodium bicarbonate is not good for anyone trying to moderate sodium. it also causes potassium dumping.

ahmo

howirecovered, I'd been on a detox protocol for nearly a year, ramped up for 6 months. This episode was like nothing I've ever experienced, in duration, explosiveness, burning. Nothing had changed before it started. And then it was over. There was also 24 hr eruption of sores in my arm pits. I'm now back to my baseline K+ and Mg, and having hard to normal stools. And no longer test + for using the specific metal detox clay, but instead for the gentler bentonite clay. I'll be hair testing in another month, once there's a chance for some new growth to show my status. cheers, ahmo

Violeta

i finally figured out how to bring my extreme alkaline pH down. D-Ribose works like a charm.

this was not easy to figure out because I'm trying to avoid sodium bicarbonate and potassium chloride. sodium bicarbonate is not good for anyone trying to moderate sodium. it also causes potassium dumping.

And isn't sodium bicarbonate alkalizing?

howirecovered

howirecovered, I'd been on a detox protocol for nearly a year, ramped up for 6 months. This episode was like nothing I've ever experienced, in duration, explosiveness, burning. Nothing had changed before it started. And then it was over. There was also 24 hr eruption of sores in my arm pits. I'm now back to my baseline K+ and Mg, and having hard to normal stools. And no longer test + for using the specific metal detox clay, but instead for the gentler bentonite clay. I'll be hair testing in another month, once there's a chance for some new growth to show my status. cheers, ahmo

well, that's one advantage of testing. i don't do enough of that...

Hi All,
I'm still trying to get my head around K and Mg, and adrenal problems. My main symptoms are relentless muscle spasms and tiredness. The tiredness and spasms seem to get worse with Mg chloride (up to 150mg morning and night). Incidentally, after my nighttime dose, I would sometimes have what I can only describe as a panic attack and wake up bolt upright in bed. I've stopped taking this, and the spasms seemed to have improved, and no more feelings of doom in bed. Could this be Mg showing up a K deficiency?

My confusion, however, is that Na (around two tsps per day) definitely improve the spasms. More than sipping plain water brings them back. For this reason, I'm nervous about supplementing K.

Has anyone had these experiences? I'd be really grateful for some advice.

Based on reading some of the earlier posts in this thread about K, Mg and ATP, I've also just found out my mitochondria are working at 15% of a healthy, normal person.

Leon

Last edited:
I know metallothionine only by name, have no understanding about it. I also don't know why the need goes up w/ metal dumping. For me this dump took the form of a week long extreme diarrhea, so the most superficial explanation would say I had very depleted electrolytes just due to that. I don't have a scientific understanding. My zinc needs remained stable during this, but I tested for increased selenium, glycine, GABA. Then the episode ended, and now, 2-3 weeks later, I've resumed my lower doses, as well as needing to decrease my mfolate and TMG, due to over-methylation. This would fit the theory that the metals were suppressing my methylation, and their release has shifted things. ahmo

Just to chime in on this point: my doctor ordered a metallothionine test for me. Apparently, it binds zinc, copper and heavy metals. It's supposed to be bound 40:60 to zinc and copper. However, in my case zinc is only bound to 20% of the metallothionine and 5% to aluminium and the rest other metals. The lab, Acumen, has recently found out that by taking manganese at 5-10mg for between 3-6 weeks, you can raise the amount of metallothionine. This would seem important if one is to cope with heavy metal toxicity and also bind sufficient zinc that one doesn't suffer a real terms deficiency. Indeed, it was suggested that I don't take zinc until I've been through the manganese treatment.

Any thoughts? This was all new to me as of last week.

Sparrowhawk

Update on me - I've settled on 450mg of magnesium. I'm feeling much better and back to sleeping well.

This is 75% percent lower than what I was taking for many years. I believe the reason is that my adrenals are 75% better based on the amount I've also been able to reduce salt supplementation. This improvement is from doing methylation treatment. I've also had a 50% improvement in hypothyroidism documented by testing and the amount of medicine I need.

No wonder I was ODing on the much larger amounts of magnesium!

I also use self muscle testing to determine amounts of supps/meds to take, but the muscle testing is reliant on being well hydrated and having a good electrolyte balance. So it can be misleading in this situation.
Great to hear things are working better for you. Could I ask what you use to get your electrolyte balance -- just the pill supplements or do you have any liquid electrolyte drink you recommend. The last one I tried which is what SOC uses my pulse pressure dropped to the 20's. Looking for non-sugar alternatives as every Pedialyte type drink I've seen so far is chock full of glucose.

I did just purchase a nano-potassium liquid form to try, will let you all know how it goes. I still get calf sensations threatening cramps (mostly night time) even though I'm trying to eat more potassium rich foods.

Violeta

Great to hear things are working better for you. Could I ask what you use to get your electrolyte balance -- just the pill supplements or do you have any liquid electrolyte drink you recommend. The last one I tried which is what SOC uses my pulse pressure dropped to the 20's. Looking for non-sugar alternatives as every Pedialyte type drink I've seen so far is chock full of glucose.

I did just purchase a nano-potassium liquid form to try, will let you all know how it goes. I still get calf sensations threatening cramps (mostly night time) even though I'm trying to eat more potassium rich foods.

Purines(uric acid) do that to me, even small amounts. I've been trying to eat very small amounts of fish and 1 tsp/day of oolong tea, and the night time foot/calf cramps are back. I was eating beans last week and I think they were not causing the problem.

caledonia

I make my own concoction mixed in one cup of water, and drunk four times a day.

I use Vinco's magnesium glycinate powder, Longevity Plus BioEnergyC (vit C buffered with ribose), and salt (plain table salt).

breakfast: 1/4 tsp mag glycinate, 1/4 tsp BioEnergy C, 1 pinch (1/8tsp) salt
lunch: same
supper: same
bedtime: 3/4 tsp mag glycinate, the rest is the same.

For some reason I need double the amount before bed, otherwise my feet twitch and wake me up.

So far I've been getting potassium from food and the small amount in any multivitamins I'm taking.

Sparrowhawk

Thanks for that @caledonia -- that's very helpful. I get my magnesium every night topically (use the Ancient Minerals spray on my belly). And I do about 3 grams of salt a day, but I put it on my food.

ON EDIT: I meant to mention that I also had the intense muscle twitching esp bottoms of my feet. I had been on high doses of B6 and P5P (so really quite high) on the advice of a practitioner I no longer work with. These symptoms have decreased to only about 5% of their worst, but I still get them. The mag oil topically seems to really help, so that jives with your experience Caledonia.

I just found a blog that may explain my BP issues using the commercial electrolyte mix -- it has a lot of Stevia in it:
http://quixoticmeblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/stevia-may-not-be-ideal-for-mecfs.html

http://quixoticmeblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/stevia-may-not-be-ideal-for-mecfs.html

Word to the wise! Perhaps this can help folks like @heapsreal but for me it was a bit scary.

Last edited:

Sparrowhawk

How does the lowering of the PH manifest in terms of symptoms mitigation -- does it help digestion, or do you see it as a goal with regards to some other aspect of your health and recovery? D- ribose may not be an option for me because I read it can lower blood sugar (I'm hypoglycemic).

Thanks.

howirecovered

How does the lowering of the PH manifest in terms of symptoms mitigation -- does it help digestion, or do you see it as a goal with regards to some other aspect of your health and recovery? D- ribose may not be an option for me because I read it can lower blood sugar (I'm hypoglycemic).

Thanks.

I'm also hypoglycemic so was worried about that too. My hypoglycemia is not textbook however which might be common with metal toxicity... Anyway, ribose is also said to improve sugar control in some people with borderline problems.

Otherwise vitamin C works too, though not as well for me.

The reason I felt it important to pay attention to urine pH is because Dr. Revici (read The Dr. Who Cures Cancer) found that urine pH was typically all acidic or all alkaline in cancer patients. Healthy people start the day acidic and become alkaline. That crossover used to happen before I started taking large quantities of potassium, so I wanted to correct for that… also worried I might damage my kidneys or some other system if I didn’t.

As for symptoms, I have too much going on to notice.

howirecovered

It's amazing to me how reliable the cramps are - as soon as I increase my b12 dose, the cramps start again. Just increased my potassium up to 3500 mg as a result of increasing 500 mcg of b12 to 4.5mg

All the methylation symptoms are reliable too, more energy, compulsion to do things, mild headache, difficulty sleeping, feeling warm, and overemotional.

Sparrowhawk

It's amazing to me how reliable the cramps are - as soon as I increase my b12 dose, the cramps start again. Just increased my potassium up to 3500 mg as a result of increasing 500 mcg of b12 to 4.5mg

All the methylation symptoms are reliable too, more energy, compulsion to do things, mild headache, difficulty sleeping, feeling warm, and overemotional.

Thanks for the other response and all I can say about the above is I'll take more energy, but difficulty sleeping not so much! Still gathering my courage to dive into methylation...

D'you think it's possible to start up dormant methylation with vitamin C? I'm slowing ramping up the dose, and it's pretty much all I can presently tolerate. Now at around a gram, I am feeling these symptoms in spades. I almost feel a little over stimulated, fearful, tired but wide awake, very terse and distressed. Very weird feeling. Might be unrelated!

howirecovered

D'you think it's possible to start up dormant methylation with vitamin C? I'm slowing ramping up the dose, and it's pretty much all I can presently tolerate. Now at around a gram, I am feeling these symptoms in spades. I almost feel a little over stimulated, fearful, tired but wide awake, very terse and distressed. Very weird feeling. Might be unrelated!

i think it's unrelated. vitamin C has always had more impact on me than virtually any other supplement - but i think it's related to adrenal function...