• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme Results

Hi,

I just got my 23andme test results back. Can someone please give me some direction. I started taking methy b-12 and methyfolate about a month ago while I was waiting for results. At first I was getting sick when I started on the methyfolate (I started b12 first). I have since learned how to muscle test myself and I haven't gotten sick but I do have to muscle test daily. I have noticed that I have weak nails and easy bruising since starting the supplements. I'm also taking the following: Seeking Health Optimal Multi, vit d, zinc, citrimins (thorne), kelp, and bioplasma cell salts. Here are my 23andme results
MAO-A R297R ++
MTRR H595Y ++
MTRR K350A ++
COMT V158M +-
COMT H62H +-
VDR Bsm +-
VDR Taq +-
BHMT-02 +-
BHMT-04 +-
BHMT-08 +-
CBS A360A +-
SHMT1 C1420T ++

I would appreciate any imput.

Critterina

@Lucroy,
I wouldn't supplement at all based on those SNPs. I would supplement based on lab tests and symptoms, working with a practitioner. I'm not at all sure your SNPs are contributing to your problems. Best wishes for good health.

I left off the most important SNP. I also have MTHFR C677T -+. I have had multiple miscarriages and just had a baby with down syndrome. My mom's side of the family has a lot of heart disease. Thanks!

Critterina

I left off the most important SNP. I also have MTHFR C677T -+. I have had multiple miscarriages and just had a baby with down syndrome. My mom's side of the family has a lot of heart disease. Thanks!
That changes things, doesn't it? The combination of SHMT ++ and MTHFR +/- is a problem.
You are on the right track with the methylfolate. That is going to be your main difference-maker, I would guess. The B12 would have helped you use up the folate faster, and you're just not likely making much. And I'm not really sure why you're taking the B12. Do you have reason to think you're not converting it or are deficient?
The bruising and weak nails bother me about the supplements - have you tried eliminating one at a time to see which may be causing it? Or stop half of them and see if it helps.
I think you're going to need someone smarter than me. @Valentijn , would you check this out?

I agree with Critterina ... methylfolate is definitely needed, and it may help to avoid sources of synthetic folic acid.

But you probably do have a significant B12 problem as well. MTRR H595Y means increased homocysteine and decreased MTRR activity per + (T), with a total effect size of 3.03. Meaning that makes your MTRR activity function at about 33% of normal. MTRR K350A has a similar effect - but it looks like people with K350A usually have H595Y as well, hence there's a good chance that it's not making functioning any worse. More info is at http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(08)00668-9/fulltext

So B12 is also needed. Due to your slower versions of MAOA, COMT, and VDR, you might not tolerate methylB12, hence it might be safer to try hydroxoB12 instead. That might also help in avoiding the reactions you mentioned above. You should also probably get your homocysteine levels tested on a regular basis, since yours is likely to be elevated and that's associated with a lot of health problems. B12 and methylfolate should help bring it down, but it's nice to know for sure!

Freddd

Hi,

I just got my 23andme test results back. Can someone please give me some direction. I started taking methy b-12 and methyfolate about a month ago while I was waiting for results. At first I was getting sick when I started on the methyfolate (I started b12 first). I have since learned how to muscle test myself and I haven't gotten sick but I do have to muscle test daily. I have noticed that I have weak nails and easy bruising since starting the supplements. I'm also taking the following: Seeking Health Optimal Multi, vit d, zinc, citrimins (thorne), kelp, and bioplasma cell salts. Here are my 23andme results
MAO-A R297R ++
MTRR H595Y ++
MTRR K350A ++
COMT V158M +-
COMT H62H +-
VDR Bsm +-
VDR Taq +-
BHMT-02 +-
BHMT-04 +-
BHMT-08 +-
CBS A360A +-
SHMT1 C1420T ++

I would appreciate any imput.

Hi Lucroy,

B12/folate deficiencies cause all sorts of reproductive failures in males and females. Feeling sick a few days after starting is often induced low potassium and/or induce paradoxical folate insufficiency. Bruising comes under "easy bleeding" with folate deficiency symptoms.

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with cyanocobalamin it is very common with methylb12 and adensosylb12 and less so with hydroxycobalamin..
IBS – Steady constipation , Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum, Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness, Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), Increased pulse rate, Increased blood pressure, Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.
Group 2a - Both
IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation
Group 2b – Either or both
Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue
Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency
IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.
Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with cyanocobalamin it is very common with methylb12 and adensosylb12 and less so with hydroxycobalamin..
IBS – Steady constipation , Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum, Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness, Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), Increased pulse rate, Increased blood pressure, Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.
Group 2a - Both
IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation
Group 2b – Either or both
Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue
Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency
IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.