• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very strange sleep symptom

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
So after mid-day, say from 15:00 PM to 18:00 PM is very easy for me falling asleep. Has been going for years now. I mean very very easy, I stay in bed and is hard staying awake at those hours, like what HEALHY LUCKY PEOPLE get when they are at night in bed. I get that nice drowsy feeling and fall asleep within minutes. But at night, nothing like that, I simply drop asleep suddenly after hours of struggling (I use the word torture too for insomnia). At night I feel more energized and active actually. No, my cortisol is not high at night is very low always... I do have a melatonin defficiency but supplementing it does not help. Mystery. Miserable mistery lol

Anyone else has this? I think is from adrenal fatigue but who knows. Ugh.

Last edited:

Sea

It is very common for our sleep cycle to be shifted and stubbornly refuse to be altered to fit a normal timetable. I don't think anyone has been able to fully explain why this happens. Cortisol can be a part of it for some but it's not the whole answer.

I do best if I just go with it, but thankfully for me it's not too far from normal. I go to bed around 8:30pm and get up around 4:30am. Going to bed later doesn't change the time I wake up.

It is very common for our sleep cycle to be shifted and stubbornly refuse to be altered to fit a normal timetable. I don't think anyone has been able to fully explain why this happens. Cortisol can be a part of it for some but it's not the whole answer.

I agree. What you described in the original post is not at all surprising to me, from someone with ME/CFS :confused:

ukxmrv

I'm not sure why you think this is strange. Sounds quite normal to me. Been many threads on many CFS and ME forums on this.

My cortisol doesn't get high at night but it is higher than the morning. My best time is evening and late a night. My family is like that though and it's normal for us.

Not sure if adrenal fatigue is the cause. I'm not fond of that term. You'll find lots of discussions and debates here as we all have different opinions.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I was meaning strange in general terms. It is strange. Normal is being able to sleep at night. It puzzles me, that is why I call it strange.

And yeah HPA axis dysfunction/dysregulation is most likely the cause.

Last edited: