• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation protocols can improve thyroid function--take note!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Well. Rich had told us this and I think I heard him whispering a reminder when I had two visits to the ER for atrial fibrillation in the last two weeks.

Looking at possible causes, hyperthyroid was one of them. I had been hypothryoid and taking Armour Thyroid. I got my levels checked a couple of days ago and just got the results--hyperthyroid! So, those who are doing methylation protocols and also taking thyroid replacement, check your levels often! Mine had changed a lot in the last 6 months.

Sushi

Crux

It's true, Sushi;
It was adding B12 sublinguals that increased my free T3. I used to take a low dose of armour, now I take only an otc desiccated thyroid supplement.

Sorry you had to go to the dreaded ER, to find this out, but I'm glad it's good news!

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Sushi THis makes sense now. I remember thinking that one of your medications could have caused the arrhythmia episode. Amazing how much your thyroid changed with the methylation. Caledonia has also had that result.

The only times I've had serious arrhythmia was when I took hydrocortisone, and also when I took iodine. The iodine made my thyroid area hurt. It took a long time to clear from my system, and I had to deal with arrhythmia for about 3 long months. I found that what helped me the most was acupuncture and magnesium oil, which I slathered on in large doses before bed each night.

Victronix

I had to go to the ER also for my thyroid -- an awful experience. Sorry you had to go through that.

My levels are changing also, but in the opposite direction -- TSH going too high.

It's complicated. I don't think we can really know just what's going on, esp given the different responses people have. Methylation has been shown to block some thyroid function in animals. And my reasoning is that if mfolate increases hormones like estrogen, well, estrogen blocks thyroid . . .

Interestingly my T3 was its highest ever after starting mfolate. But I just got tested again and I will bet it's no longer that way since I increased the Synthroid.

Victronix

Interestingly my T3 was its highest ever after starting mfolate. But I just got tested again and I will bet it's no longer that way since I increased the Synthroid.

Now, 5 months later . . . my T3 is again even higher, the highest ever since testing it. T3 had been stuck at the very bottom of the range for years, but with mfolate, now is up in the middle of the range. Doctors had before recommended taking synthetic T3 to bring it up. Now I wouldn't need to! Other levels are up also, since I increased my synthroid dosage, but no where near the relative degree of T3. Now I'm trying to taper the levels by eating breakfast sooner after taking the pill (25 min).

Violeta

Conversion of T4 to T3 doesn't take place in the thyroid. A large part of the conversion takes place in the liver. So maybe the mfolate is improving conversion because it is clearing out your liver.

L'engle

moogle
Wow! Really good to know. BTW can someone clarify how armour is different from otc dessicated thyroid glandular? I thought that's what armour was made from as well. Thanks.

Victronix

I have taken Armour for 15 years, between 3 and 4 grains. B12 and mathylation supps for 6 months and I have HAD to drop my Armour to 2 grains - not on blood test results but on high BP and high temperatures!!!!
I would make sure to keep on top of the thyroid labs -- when I first started methylation I could not tolerate the rollercoaster intensity of it and so reduced my synthroid. That was a mistake! I went hypo and then the doc put me on too high of a dose, then it was a disaster after that.

One solution to temp fluctuations and increased HR is potassium (if your thyroid levels are in range). Are you taking any? I'm taking a lot per day and its made methylation reasonable for me.

Al Klein

Yes - I was supplementing with potassium for a while, now seem to cope with making xure I get plenty in the diet.
Getting decent blood tests done in the UK is a hit and miss exercise - if TSH is in range they (the labs) often wont do anything else, hence I go by temps and pulse!

Thanks

Freddd

My experience with many people and lot's of hypothyroid (very common amongst us), is that a few still in active phase of Hashimoto's thyroiditis have the thyroid correct. It appears to be methylfolate deficiency that appears to cause hyper reactive and autoimmune things. Many more people think it is affecting their thyroid than actually does because they mistake ATP startup or CNS startup as thyroid related. SOMETIMES, but rarely , it is. Make sure with tests before making changes that screw up the body like changing thyroid doses too often.

Al Klein

I have been hypothyroid (Hashimotos) for 15 years and have learnt to adjust does according to my temperature and pulse rate. What is clear to me now is that the 3 / 4 grains that I took for most of that time was not being utilized because of a lack of B12, iron, and all the others.
Now I take the deadlock quartet my whole body is working more efficiently. I do not believe that my thyroid per se has changed production (I have kept it well suppressed for 15 years) but my body is able to
a) convert the T4 in the Armour into T3 more efficiently and
b) utilise the T3 more efficiently,
leading to a dose reduction whilst temps and pulse stay good.