• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have a spine curvature?

I posted this question on a facebook group and got quite a few people saying they also have some form of neck/back curvature/problem and I found this interesting amongst ME patients. I'm just curious to get a broader 'sample' to test my hypothesis if many ME sufferers have spine issues. I have a noticeable curve in my neck that hurts 99% if the time, and causes headaches and dizziness ,and I have read that quite a few others experience the same. I have always had good posture, and i am very young to have such a pronounced problem. I'm curious to know if it is just a case of coincidental conditions, or if there could be a link, like another added symptom.

Raindrop

I posted this question on a facebook group and got quite a few people saying they also have some form of neck/back curvature and I found this interesting amongst ME patients. I'm just curious to get a broader 'sample' to test my hypothesis if many ME sufferers have spine issues. I have a noticeable curve in my neck that hurts 99% if the time, and causes headaches and dizziness ,and I have read that quite a few others experience the same. I have always had good posture, and i am very young to have such a pronounced curve. I'm curious to know if it is just a case of coincidental conditions, or if there could be a link, like another added symptom.
I have this as well. Feel it is somewhat unsightly and beyond my age. :-(
Never related it to ME. Have you had a Cervical MRI??
I had one around 2000 and it showed a lot of Cervical issues.....stenosis and bulging disks....
I have neuro symptoms I KNOW are associated with that. I rather think that the *cervical
issues* a lot of us have are part of the ONSET/ cause of ME. For me an injury made
the cervical worse.....can't type as in pain. All for now!

Thinktank

Yep, me too in the lower back. The doctor in highschool told me after the yearly checkup to see my GP about it.
She explained i would have to wear some kind of special shoes, yeah right how uncool is that. Wearing those "special" shoes to correct my posture would kill my reputation in school so i ignored her advice. Not only that, i've developed a bad posture due to spending too much time behind the computer.
Now after all those years my back and neck start to hurt....
I'm gonna do an MRI scan of the spine soon, maybe there's something there that contributes to my brain fog.

I developed my spine problems early on and they always caused me problems..I think i was around 10 when i first got a xray for my neck. It grew more pronounced when i was around 16, and i started to get severe problems because of it..
I find it interesting that so many report pronounced back trouble. I wonder if it is actually just coincidental or if it could be something else.

Esther12

Have you been checked out for connective tissue disorders? Marfan, ehlers-danlos, etc? Could be worth asking about.

Yes, my neck and lower back both curve the wrong way (front to back). They also curve and twist to the side.

Like yours, mine is noticeable and hurts in my neck.

A simple falling or bike accident probably started it originally. And I believe I had some hypermobility/connective tissue problem which made me develop worse problems from the small accident (and a child without hypermobility would have been fine).

I also think my undiagnosed and untreated OI made it much worse, or possibly was part of the cause, because I would bend myself in positions that got blood to my head.

I don't know whether to believe the chiropractors who think we can develop it at birth, from the forceps used to pull us out.

Sparrowhawk

Wow, you may be on to something. Scoliosis here too.

Plus years of martial arts, getting hit by a car, and crashing on the racetrack.

Chiropractic has helped me immensely - and I was VERY skeptical when I started with it. Of course it's just like MD's -- hit or miss if you get a really good Chiro person. I was in such pain I was highly motivated. I was pain free after a few months, and if something cropped up, it was usually abated by another session or two.

That was all pre CFS though.

Allyson

I have scoliosis. Always had it. For me, I don't think it's related to CFS.
anciendaze

scoliosis can be a sign of EDS - the irregular pull of the ligaments on either side due doe CTD causes spine not to form straight - same for pectum excavatum

lower back pain can be due to tight muscle fascia which are also connective tissue

there is a good facebook page called stiff zebras for EDSers who are stiff rather than hypermobile

anciendaze

I think I would count close to normal for some aspects of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, though I have both scoliosis and pectum excavatum. My problem with these is that doctors simply tell me I picked the wrong parents. I'm interested in things still possible to change after conception. I made it through college and graduate school, served in the Army, and had a demanding career, before I was incapacitated. I want to know what changed when I had a flu-like illness. There may well have been earlier setbacks I was able to recover from, but 20 years ago something hit which wrecked me.

Sparrowhawk

anciendaze I can't exactly "like" that one but I do resonate with what you've outlined above. I didn't serve in the military but I did years of martial arts, motorcycling, etc. without too much trouble. Was sicker than most but still relatively healthy. And then whammo.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I have stenosis in cervical and lumbar spine. My cervical spine has a high density of osteophytes (bone spurs) and the anterior to posterior diameter is now at 5mm (@ C5).

Misfit Toy

Even if I had EDS, what would I do for it? I think it's great that people have found out they have EDS, but for me, it's just one more diagnosis. I do not have the ability to bend fingers and twist and turn and I know that is not a definite for EDS folks. But, I have CFS, Celiac and now I will start IVIG. Scoliosis has not impacted my life. I have no pain from it. I have pain from Fibro and Intercostal Neuralgia, but scoliosis...nope.

I have not had the urge to start on the EDS quest because honestly I am dealing with too many things here and since there is no treatment for EDS and there is a treatment for what I have...I am going to go with the treatment first. The IVIG could be a major blessing since my immune system is wrecked.

Allyson

I think I would count close to normal for some aspects of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, though I have both scoliosis and pectum excavatum. My problem with these is that doctors simply tell me I picked the wrong parents. I'm interested in things still possible to change after conception. I made it through college and graduate school, served in the Army, and had a demanding career, before I was incapacitated. I want to know what changed when I had a flu-like illness. There may well have been earlier setbacks I was able to recover from, but 20 years ago something hit which wrecked me.

often major symptom do not manifest til in your 20 - but did you have eye issues ( eg short-sightedness) motion sickness, ear infections, asthma, excema hay fever, easy bruising, fainting or migraines before that flu-like illness? these are all early symptoms of EDS that we usually miss as we do not make the connection.

Then many others do not show up til even later in life like hernias, varicose veins, post - partum -hemorrage, miscarriages and diverticulitis.

A

anciendaze

Allyson, my right eye is very nearsighted, but my left is practically normal. Normally, I am not subject to motion sickness, though I've had bouts of vertigo. My ear infections have a simple cause, my Eustachian tubes are narrow, and swell shut when inflamed. I have been subject to fainting since I got my growth in my teens, though I've learned how to avoid this, which is one of the things some psychiatrists object to as catastrophizing. (I don't intend to change. Waking up in Emergency gets expensive.) I had two inguinal hernias repaired as a child.

I got used to being different at a time when most left handers were subject to pressure to change. This is not a problem, and the criticism that I'm different from other patients does not impress me as useful.

I suspect many of the problems in ME/CFS are related to either dysautonomia or cardiac output. There is a direct connection with immune function. Like ambulances, leukocytes can't do any good if they don't get where they are needed when they are needed. Too little attention is commonly paid to the effect of mean transit time on blood cells. Increasing mean transit time also reduces the effectiveness of erythrocytes in oxygen transfer. These may already be reduced in numbers, though at normal concentrations, because of hypovolemia. Oxygen reaches the blood, but is then carried to tissues by smaller numbers of cells, and at reduced speeds. This also affects the ability to clear waste products. Common medical tests will not show hypovolemia or reduced O2 transport. Common tests don't even show response to orthostatic challenge.

We are all different, even those who think they are normal. These variations serve as natural experiments which would be ethically unacceptable on humans. Whatever is different about us places us nearer to the edge of some pathologies. (This need not mean we are inferior. The U.S. Army stamped me grade-A prime, as cannon fodder. The only negative was my need for eyeglasses. I was able to excel in a MOS for which about 95% of draftees were unsuited.)

Many of the problems we experience in mid-life or as adolescents resemble those seen in "normal" people as they age. Anyone who wants to extend not merely existence, but years in which people contribute to society, ought to be investigating the things which make us different.

I'm pretty sure I don't have EDS. I can bend my thumb to meet my wrist really easily, but my hip joints aren't flexible. I do have excessively easily scarred/torn skin, but I can't pull it up and it isn't stretchy. I do get very bad vertigo and ear infections, and easy bruising but i don't have the other joint symptoms associated with EDS. I /am/ being tested and most likely diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis which i think explains some symptoms but not all.