• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trying to decipher my GI symptoms

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
OK so lets begin by the most obvious one. My stools tend to be pasty and very sticky. Since I have ADEK vitamin defficiencies we can assume easily I have fat maldigestion/malabsorption. I dont digest well either quinoa, brown rice, amaranth... but they dont trigger worse stools, they just appear partially digested. When I eat nuts they are NOT digested and they make my poorly formed stools to become a puree (ugh :cautious:). Fruits in general are not digested either, especially the starchy ones (plantains, which I love, apples etc) and they do trigger also this thick diarreah again. Fruits are the worst, they make it even watery at times. We can assume every food I dont digest well causes this pasty diarreah and I should avoid it for now (easier said than done!).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2668772/

I will keep a diary with what food does what to me and how I digest them. I have been diagnosed with Leaky Gut by a functional doc by the way.

At mornings is common for me to have a slight, dull ache in the intestine. Googling this is an IBS symptom. Eating tomato sauce directly gives me obvious intestinal inflammation. Kefir sometimes gives me also a very sutile rumour of inflammation. Or walnuts.

I do remember having a normal stool (cilindrical and hard without food particles) some months ago, when I drank one liter of natural yogurt one day. But I dont know, I have a big food intolerance to casein... maybe is a matter of trying it again.

I am currently finishing off an old bottle of NOW Super Enzymes I had sitting in the wardrobe. Will see if it changes how I digest.

I wonder if Pancreatin would be enough digestion wise. Adrenal fatigue does cause low pancreatic enzyme output and I have very low adrenal hormones. Of course, I am the skinny, weight-losing type. I have recently started getting weight (and some mucle! yess!!) but I know I am not digesting well, I just eat more. I will also be doing a Leaky Gut protocol that includes InulinFOS which are very effective at increasing lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. But I am worried about my digestion, I mean I won´t be digesting the cod liver oil ( amazing supplement: vitamins A and D, EPA/DHA) without lipase. It fucking sucks. Probably rebuilding my flora and intestinal lining will help with digestion.

I was having huge troubles digesting food and my doctor sent off a stool sample to a lab to check my gut ecology. Turns out I didn't have the right bacteria to aid digestion and some other bacteria that was was stopping absorption. One of the big things missing from my gut ecology was E. Coli. I've been taking 5ml of E.Coli daily for about a year now and my stomach is much better. Have you had any tests like this done?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
No sadly, but it would be a great thing for me. Unfortunately the GI doctors I have seen in Spain doesn´t seem to know about this test. The last doc (non GI) ignored my digestive symptoms and sent me to a psychologist. Huge lost of time and life for me at then end in the hands of these "doctors".Maybe it will be a matter of keep trying. My parents wont pay for that test, because it is a) expensive and b)disgusting when done in home. Hopefully soon I will have some personal income.

I am incredibly lucky to have found a doctor who seems to be a bit ahead of the current M.E. research and has already done research into gut ecology. Good luck with your quest for personal income!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Have you tried Betain HCl for undigested or poorly digested food?

About to chronix! But I have taken digestive aids in the past and yes they make me digest a lot better. A shame that it didn´t make much of a change in my overal symptom index. That is why I stopped taking it but this time I will be more consistent.