• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Carmine Pariante's MRC research award-Persistent fatigue induced by interferon-alpha

Sean

It seems to me Chalder will always try to prove the efficacy of CBT (in whatever).
It is pretty well all she (and a few others) have. They have largely built their careers and reputations on it, so if it turns out to be wrong or trivial, then ignominy and irrelevancy loom for them.

Trudie Chalder, Anthony Cleare, Richard Dobson, Max Henderson, Matthew Hotopf, Valeria Mondelli, Carmine Pariante.
Some of the usual suspects in there. :whistle:

Esther12

Maybe of interest:

Review Article

Childhood stressors in the development of fatigue syndromes: a review of the past 20 years of research

A. Borsinia1, N. Hepgula1, V. Mondellia1, T. Chaldera2 and C. M. Pariantea1 c1

a1 Section of Stress, Psychiatry and Immunology and Perinatal Psychiatry, Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, UK
a2 Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, UK
Abstract
Background Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM) are both highly prevalent conditions associated with extreme disability and with the development of co-morbid psychiatric disorders, such as depression and anxiety. Childhood stressors have been shown to induce persistent changes in the function of biological systems potentially relevant to the pathogenesis of both CFS and FM, such as the inflammatory system and the hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal (HPA) axis. In this review, we examined whether multiple forms of childhood stressors are contributing factors to the development of these disorders, and of the associated psychiatric symptoms.
Method Using PubMed, we identified 31 papers relevant to this narrative review. We included cohort studies and case-control studies, without any exclusion in terms of age and gender. No study characteristics or publication date restrictions were imposed.
Results Most studies across the literature consistently show that there is a strong association between experiences of childhood stressors and the presence of CFS and FM, with rates of CFS/FM being two- to three-fold higher in exposed than in unexposed subjects. We also found evidence for an increased risk for the development of additional symptoms, such as depression, anxiety and pain, in individuals with CFS and FM with a previous history of childhood stressors, compared with individuals with CFS/FM and no such history.
Conclusions Our review confirms that exposure to childhood stressors is associated with the subsequent development of fatigue syndromes such as CFS and FM, and related symptoms. Further studies are needed to identify the mechanisms underlying these associations.
(Received March 11 2013)
(Revised August 29 2013)
(Accepted August 31 2013)

http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...0091&fulltextType=RV&fileId=S0033291713002468

Dolphin

what constitutes a 'childhood stressor'? And can it include persistent viral infections as a kid?

Not for many of them anyway.

Here's a sample from a CDC study:

ASSESSMENT OF EARLY ADVERSE EXPERIENCE
We assessed childhood adverse experience using the short form of the Childhood Trauma Questionnaire (CTQ).39 This self-report questionnaire measures 5 categories of childhood trauma experience in separate subscales, including emotional, physical, and sexual abuse and emotional and physical neglect. Each subscale is measured in 5 items. Examples of questions are: “People in my family called me stupid, lazy, or ugly” (emotional abuse item); “People in my family hit me so hard that it left bruises or marks” (physical abuse item); “Someone threatened to hurt me or tell lies about me unless I did something sexual with them” (sexual abuse item); “I knew there was someone to take care of me and protect me” (emotional neglect inverse item); and “There was someone to take me to the doctor if I needed it” (physical neglect inverse item). Subjects rate each item on a 5-point Likert scale from 1 (never true) through 5 (very often true). Such Likert-type items create dimensional scales providing quantitative scores that have enhanced reliability and maximized statistical power.39 In addition, cutoff scores for none-to-low, low-to-moderate, moderate-to-severe, and severe-to-extreme exposure are provided for each scale. We used the moderate-to-severe cutoff scores for each subscale to classify subjects as positive for a history of childhood trauma category. The cutoff scores are 13 or higher for emotional abuse, 10 or higher for physical abuse, 8 or higher for sexual abuse, 15 or higher for emotional neglect, and 10 or higher for physical neglect.40 Being identified as positive for a category corresponds with endorsing a substantive number of experiences as often true. The CTQ has been extensively tested for psychometric properties. The questionnaire demonstrated good internal consistency (0.63-0.95) and criterion-related validity (0.50-0.75) in clinical and community samples. Convergent reliability with therapist assessments of abuse histories is high. Good specificity and sensitivity of cutoff scores to classify maltreated subjects has been reported as well.39- 40

.​

Early adverse experience and risk for chronic fatigue syndrome: results from a population-based study.
Heim C, Wagner D, Maloney E, Papanicolaou DA, Solomon L, Jones JF, Unger ER, Reeves WC.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006 Nov;63(11):1258-66.

Free full text:
http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=668231

One of the big problems in this study was it used the empiric criteria (2.54% of the population, picks a lot who likely simply have depression).

Dolphin

Esther12 said:
Review Article

Childhood stressors in the development of fatigue syndromes: a review of the past 20 years of research

A. Borsinia1, N. Hepgula1, V. Mondellia1, T. Chaldera2 and C. M. Pariantea1 c1

a1 Section of Stress, Psychiatry and Immunology and Perinatal Psychiatry, Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, UK

a2 Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, UK
Abstract

Background Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM) are both highly prevalent conditions associated with extreme disability and with the development of co-morbid psychiatric disorders, such as depression and anxiety. Childhood stressors have been shown to induce persistent changes in the function of biological systems potentially relevant to the pathogenesis of both CFS and FM, such as the inflammatory system and the hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal (HPA) axis. In this review, we examined whether multiple forms of childhood stressors are contributing factors to the development of these disorders, and of the associated psychiatric symptoms.
Method Using PubMed, we identified 31 papers relevant to this narrative review. We included cohort studies and case-control studies, without any exclusion in terms of age and gender. No study characteristics or publication date restrictions were imposed.
Results Most studies across the literature consistently show that there is a strong association between experiences of childhood stressors and the presence of CFS and FM, with rates of CFS/FM being two- to three-fold higher in exposed than in unexposed subjects. We also found evidence for an increased risk for the development of additional symptoms, such as depression, anxiety and pain, in individuals with CFS and FM with a previous history of childhood stressors, compared with individuals with CFS/FM and no such history.
Conclusions Our review confirms that exposure to childhood stressors is associated with the subsequent development of fatigue syndromes such as CFS and FM, and related symptoms. Further studies are needed to identify the mechanisms underlying these associations.
(Received March 11 2013)
(Revised August 29 2013)
(Accepted August 31 2013)
I've started a specific thread on this paper here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/childhood-stressors-in-the-development-of-fatigue-syndromes-a-review-of-past-20-years-of-research.25698/

Firestormm

Childhood stress not a likely trigger for MS: http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ECTRIMS/42093

5 October 2013

"There have been conflicting studies over whether stressful events in a person's childhood leads to MS, but in our analysis, we did not find strong evidence for this," Nielsen said during her poster presentation.

"We cannot exclude a biological effect of stress on the susceptibility to MS, but do consider adoption of unhealthy behaviors more likely to explain our findings," she added.

That may be particularly true in the findings on parental divorce. Nielsen said that children's lives may be impacted by living with one parent with reduced income, resulting in less access to healthier lifestyles. Unhealthy lifestyles have been linked to a higher MS risk.

She added that her group will continue to research which life events may confer a risk for MS and disease development.

How hard is it for the Uk to study ME/CFS - the neurological disease with the weird metabolic characteristics and stress receptors as found by the USA and Australian scientists?
The disease defined by the CCC and the ICC criteria needs independent studies until biomarkers are found. Once biomarkers are found for the disorincr disease cohort then where the diagnostic line is will be clear.
At the moment studying an unclear soup of fatigue patients and not those with post exertional malaise the core diagnostic marker of Me/CFS is harming people.

Childhood stressors or not is immaterial what is needed is biomarkers? How can you pretend to know if childhood stressors are relevant when you don't even know how to distinguish the disease from other diseases with similar symptoms.

Esther12

I don't think that this paper, funded from this grant, has been published on PR yet:

Childhood trauma and adulthood inflammation: A meta-analysis of peripheral C-reactive protein, Interleukin-6 and Tumour Necrosis Factor-α

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4564950/

This work was supported by the grant “Persistent Fatigue Induced by Interferon-alpha: A New Immunological Model for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome” from the Medical Research Council (UK) MR/J002739/1.

wastwater

So if you have been blitzed with interferon even when it's stopped you can still suffer persistent fatigue and it only applies to a minority