• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hawthorn extract/ cardiovascular health?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hawthorne extract is said to be good for ones heart as it improves coronary circulation, blood pressure and regulates heart rthym etc. Seems to be good research behind it.

So my question is, what are others experiences with this for blood pressure etc maybe for pots/oi symptoms also, basically anything to do with cardiovascular system?

cheers!!

jeffrez

I'm starting that again now, coincidentally. I just came off a few months of eleuthero, and found that it actually has seemed to weaken my heart and adrenals. Felt great while I was on it, but I think it lowers cortisol and NO too much. I'm hoping the hawthorn can help reverse that 'cause now I feel like crap!

Like you said, with all the good research behind hawthorn, and with the ventricular dysfunction, etc. found by Cheney and others, it would seem to make sense for ME. I've taken it for short periods in the past, but not long-term. But maybe long term use will once again turn out to have unintended negative consequences, like so many things seem to. Overall, it seems like a very good herb, though.

Btw, heaps, have you ever tried "polyrhachis ant?" (scroll down: http://www.holistic-back-relief.com/adrenal-fatigue-supplements.html). Looks very interesting! :D

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Hawthorne extract is said to be good for ones heart as it improves coronary circulation, blood pressure and regulates heart rthym etc. Seems to be good research behind it.

So my question is, what are others experiences with this for blood pressure etc maybe for pots/oi symptoms also, basically anything to do with cardiovascular system?

cheers!!

I tried hawthorn berry capsules for 5 months for hypertension. No effect as far as I recall. I'm sure I would have kept taking them if they had worked! Tried all sorts of natural treatments without success, so ended up reluctantly taking an ACE inhibitor, which I have been fine with.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I tried it a few years ago. I can't remember if it did nothing or if I had a problem. Since I'm no longer taking it, I'm thinking I had problem.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I'm starting that again now, coincidentally. I just came off a few months of eleuthero, and found that it actually has seemed to weaken my heart and adrenals. Felt great while I was on it, but I think it lowers cortisol and NO too much. I'm hoping the hawthorn can help reverse that 'cause now I feel like crap!

Like you said, with all the good research behind hawthorn, and with the ventricular dysfunction, etc. found by Cheney and others, it would seem to make sense for ME. I've taken it for short periods in the past, but not long-term. But maybe long term use will once again turn out to have unintended negative consequences, like so many things seem to. Overall, it seems like a very good herb, though.

Btw, heaps, have you ever tried "polyrhachis ant?" (scroll down: http://www.holistic-back-relief.com/adrenal-fatigue-supplements.html). Looks very interesting! :D

never heard of the polyrhachis ant, will look into it abit more.
Yes the ventricular dysfunction that cheney and lerner mention, i wonder if its an issue the longer one has cfs and also worsening pots/oi issues??

Thanks MeSci i will keep that in mind if i dont see an improvement in a few months.

minkeygirl;)