• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFr for 23 and me results

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I was advised by a practioner who is going to look at my results to use this site to download my 23and me results onto, now that I've done it I'm already thinking is it safe? have others used the site?
I know I should have considered this before I did it..................

Hello maryb,

I used geneticgenie.org to get the 'Detox Profile' (cost/donation: $5) and 'Methylation Analysis' (cost/donation: $10) - two separate reports.

The 'Methylation Analysis' came with 5 pages of generic written interpretation.

Unfortunately the 'Detox Profile' did not come with any analysis. I'm not sure if geneticgenie.org will eventually provide interpretation for their 'Detox Profile'. Anyone out there know?

MTHFRSupport.com is another site that allows you to download your '23andMe' raw data. The cost is $20.
No generic analysis is provided but a lot more snps are 'translated'.

I did both of these in July 2013. Safe. No problems. I printed off both reports easily. You may want to ask your practitioner which reports are preferred.

Hope this is useful information.

Victoriana

caledonia

I was advised by a practioner who is going to look at my results to use this site to download my 23and me results onto, now that I've done it I'm already thinking is it safe? have others used the site?
I know I should have considered this before I did it..................

I guess you mean MTHFRsupport.com. The main thing would be if they collect the data. I used geneticgenie.org and the developer, Kday, who is a patient on here, does not collect the data. It literally says that on the site.

Because of privacy concerns, file uploads and connections to 23andMe are done securely and your personal genome information is never shared or collected.

I looked at Sterling's app on MTHFRsupport (without logging in) and it doesn't say up front if they collect data or not. At a guess, I would say not, because like Kday, Sterling is here to help people, and is not in this to make money. You could always email and ask her, and then perhaps suggest that she put a similar notice on her app.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
victoriana. I have not heard of the site you mention. I'm going to see a doctor at the end of the month who asked me to get MTHFR testing. I got 23andMe and then did genetic genie.

Am I correct that MTHFRsupport is basically the same as genetic genie but gives you more information? Or is there other differences?

Mink

maryb

iherb code TAK122
caledonia
thanks you for looking - thats made me feel a bit better - its all about ethics isn't it and if people are doing it for the right reasons it makes a difference.

minkeygirl
the download is very comprehensive - nothing like geneticgenie, its what my practioner wanted, still means nothing to me though!!!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
caledonia
thanks you for looking - thats made me feel a bit better - its all about ethics isn't it and if people are doing it for the right reasons it makes a difference.

minkeygirl
the download is very comprehensive - nothing like geneticgenie, its what my practioner wanted, still means nothing to me though!!!

know I won't understand it at all either. Did your doc tell you to specifically get that? Mine just told me to get MTHFR tested.

Hmm. what to do what to do?