• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great Reaction to 5000 mcg Transdermal Cobalamin Spray

bertiedog

I wanted to post about my experience with Dr Myhill's transdermal B12 spray. For 2 weeks now I have been using 6 sprays daily which is the equivalent of 6000 mcg cynacobalamin and for the past week I have had great energy in my legs and have been able to walk for longer periods each day. I have bought a Fitbit One tracker and it shows I do around 6000 steps daily now.

On the other hand my sleep has been a bit of a problem with quite bad insomnia on 2 nights plus I am waking up a lot more too but going back to sleep for the most part.

What I don't really understand is that I have been trying methylcobalamin for years (both in injection form and sublinguals) without any good effect on my energy and I have also been taking around 800-1200 mcg methyltetrahydrofolate daily. I do get side effects from the folates and often have to drop the dose and I think the insomnia this past week is probably due to the effect of having too much folate in my blood maybe. The side effects are things like very severe migraines that make me feel like death. Also the insomnia problem.

I also eat a green salad daily and have vegetables like broccoli virtually daily. There is also 500 mcg mixed Adncobalamin/MethB12 in my Thorne's Basic Nutrients I take daily.

I know I have a MTHFR mutation because I had a baby with a neural tube defect way back in 1973.

So does anybody have any idea why it is that the cyncacobalamin has been so good for my energy and not methylcobalamin? From everything I had read on here I always believed that cynacobalamin was useless for us whereas in fact for me it is incredible stuff.

In a recent Organic Acids profile I showed high normal Methylmalonic Acid and also a high need for folates.

Thanks for any explanations

Pam

Crux

Hi Pam;

Here's a guess. You haven't been able to make Adenosylcobalamin from Methylcobalamin. The Thorne's supplement is very low in AdoCbl.

You are able to make MeCbl and AdoCbl from the cyanocobalamin.

I have seen elsewhere, some folks who prefer cyano.

Have you tried Hydroxocobalamin? It can be converted to Mecbl and Adocbl by a good many folks.

From what I understand, the MMA test is a more specific measurement of Adocbl.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/947154-overview

I believe that everyone's dosage need for methylfolate will vary, even with MTHFR mutations. Some will need much less than others. ( I have also gotten terrific migraines, and insomnia from methylfolate.)

NTD's may also be a result of B12 deficiency, as well as folate.

bertiedog

Thanks Crux, makes sense. No I have never tried Hydroxy version of B12. Looks like I definitely have a problem making Adeosylcobalamin from Methylcobalamin but no problem in making it from the cyano version.

I think I will definitely cut back on the methylfolate and see if the sleep issues resolve. I have also had migraine type headaches the last 2 days, not bad ones but bad enough to have to take painkillers.

Not sure what NTD means?

Pam

Crux

Hi Pam;
NTD is short for neural tube defect.

I thought of something else to consider, adding an Adenosylcobalamin supplement. Some folks have had an enormous increase in energy from it.

bertiedog

To be honest Crux I don't think I could manage anymore energy at the moment I could see myself going rather hyper which isn't pleasant! The only time my energy has been poor is first thing after breakfast but this doesn't last long and is probably connected to my non-functioning adrenals (have to take replacement steroids). What I hope is this excellent increase in ability to exercise continues but only time will tell about that.

I did try Adenosylcobalamin before in a sub-lingual but I have problems with the fillers and sweetners in them.

Thanks again for the explanations.

Pam

Sea

I wanted to post about my experience with Dr Myhill's transdermal B12 spray. For 2 weeks now I have been using 6 sprays daily which is the equivalent of 6000 mcg cynacobalamin and for the past week I have had great energy in my legs and have been able to walk for longer periods each day. I have bought a Fitbit One tracker and it shows I do around 6000 steps daily now.

Glad to hear you've found something that helps.

I know I have a MTHFR mutation because I had a baby with a neural tube defect way back in 1973.

Were you tested because you had a baby with NTD or is that an assumption? You may have this mutation but as Crux noted, a MTHFR mutation is not the only cause of NTD. You may have others instead or as well. B12 deficiency or other problems in the conversion, transport or usage of B12 or folate can also be responsible.

Folic Acid supplementation in the food supply has reduced the incidence of NTD and yet we're told that those with MTHFR mutations cannot convert folic acid, so if that is true then it would seem that the people that the folic acid is helping must not have MTHFR mutations.

If you show a high need for folates but have trouble tolerating methylfolate I'd say you have problems utilising it or recycling it rather than (or as well as) making it. I don't know what the answer is to get around that.