• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

N-acetylcysteine (NAC)

Valentijn

From another thread, regarding NAC for sleep, etc:
Which brand do you take? - are the caps/gels relatively small ( can't swallow large caps, because of vey swollen lymphs)~ also, I am extremely sensitive to smells; some reviews report capsules/ gelules smell awful ( sulphur). Is it so, in your opinion? - Others report feeling worse initially for a while, because of detox effect. Was that your experience? -
I take Jarrows extended release, 600mg. They are tablets, and not particularly big. I haven't noticed any smell with them, but they are rather tart in flavor.

I haven't noticed any detox effect, but I did start taking them pretty early on in my illness ... within a year of symptom onset, I think.

Hii, Valentijn,

Many thanks for your replies, and for moving the conversation here ! ~ Shall consider.
For now, me PTSS (meaning: PTSD, except I do not resonnate with the word: " disorder" ;-) symptoms are SO acute, unwise to experiment ~using Avena Sativa (wild oats) & Passiflora herbal tinctures with a modicum of success re brain overdrive ~ all good wishes to you ! ~

Love you signature, btw ! ~ :cool:

PS ~ Have tried to reply you on the blog concerning GET etc, but for some reason, can't get in- puta glitch ? - I keep 404-ing ! - . Will try again later ~

Legendrew

Fair enough - sorry if i'm derailing a little here. Just interested in drugs that people see benefit from and like to try and understand why that may be!

Valentijn

Fair enough - sorry if i'm derailing a little here. Just interested in drugs that people see benefit from and like to try and understand why that may be!
As for the "why", my best guess is that it lowers glutamate levels, by combining with with glutamate and glycine to form glutathione. In my case I do have elevated glutamate, as well as several rare SNPs on glutamate receptor and transporter genes.

Some people have low glycine instead of, or in addition to, low cysteine. Hence some do better with glycine instead, and some seem to need both.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
What did you notice regarding sleep, Valentijn? Earlier onset of sleep, less wakings, more refreshing? NAC seems to be a very good supplement because it helps with various areas. It also helps with intestinal permeability and inflammation. And any boost of glutathione is very welcomed. :D

Valentijn

What did you notice regarding sleep, Valentijn? Earlier onset of sleep, less wakings, more refreshing? NAC seems to be a very good supplement because it helps with various areas. It also helps with intestinal permeability and inflammation. And any boost of glutathione is very welcomed. :D
Easier to fall asleep, waking up a lot less, and easier to fall back to sleep. Basically my brain shuts down enough that it's possible for me to switch off and get some rest. It also helps during the day.