• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some research on Thyroid and Adrenals

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Personally because I have had tests and I have read lots on this stuff I know that my sleep problems (insomnia, frequent wakings, unrefreshing sleep) are at least partially caused by these. But wanted to make sure and also share my findings with those that maybe are suffering with sleep problems without realising these two things (adrenals and thyroid) are often the cause:
If you wake up in the middle of night, and can t get back to sleep, that s a sign that your adrenals are fried, burnt out. You see, when we are sleeping our cells are working. Our cells need glucose to live. That s the job of cortisol, to tell the liver to keep glucose going to the cells. If the cortisol isn t working, the body says ‘hey guys we need sugar”. Well if your cortisol levels are very low, your body will go into the emergency mode, and go to the adrenal medulla ( the inner adrenal ), which secretes epinephrine and norepinephrine. It s like the fireman breaking the glass to get to the fire extinguisher. When that gets secreted your blood sugar goes up, you wake up, and now you have an adrenaline rush. You can t go back to sleep. This is what happens in third degree adrenal stress, adrenal burn out and adrenal fatigue.
SS: What do you do for this person?
MG: I would give them B complex injections, 1000 mg of Vitamin B5 daily, 25,000 mg of intravenous Vitamin C weekly, and put them on 4,000 mg of Vitamin C daily.
I would give them adrenal cortex extract injected deep into the muscle. The herb licorice root increases the half-life of cortisol. Licorice is also an anti-viral, and great for respiratory infections in those who have adrenal fatigue. The hormone, Pregnenolone which is produced in the adrenals and the brain, is the precursor of all the adrenal hormones, and also improves memory. DHEA helps with third degree adrenal fatigue. Lastly, Bio-identical Progesterone strengthens the adrenals.
SS: Yet, is it at this stage that most people are usually given a sleeping pill and/or an anti-depressant.?
MG: Yes, this does not fix the root of the problem. Also, sleeping pills like Ambien can become highly addictive. There are certain things that are critical for the adrenal fatigue people to do to get better. They have got to avoid refined sugar. They must avoid caffeine because it raises your blood sugar. When your blood sugar is raised your insulin gets triggered to drive your blood sugar down. When the blood sugar goes down, cortisol is supposed to bring it back up, but since these adrenal fatigue people don t have enough cortisol, they become very hypoglycemic. So drinking caffeine is probably the worst thing they can possibly do.
http://www.hotzehwc.com/en-US/Resource-Center/Articles/Sleep-Problems-and-the-Thyroid.aspx
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/742306-tt-sleep-issues.html
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306453004000125
http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/27/11/1593.short

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Oh if only I could get a doc to prescribe bcomplex injections. I can't take them orally and am trying patches at present but don't think they are doing anything.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Why cant take them orally? Gut issues? I am trying soon a good b-complex etc but oral cannot beat IV. However, as you, what doctor would prescribe that to me? Maybe KDM or similar but the time my parents were willing to let thousands of euros migrate to the bank account of a doctor in hopes of me curing is way past now. Orally with consistent use should give results over the course of months.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
SickOfSickness
thanks for the info - I'm thinking about making a cream with the bcomplex tablets and coconut oil and applying it to my skin - I don't know if that will work. I don't fancy the nasal gel - I have very sensitive tissues in my nasal passage (had an op years ago) but thanks anyway. I'm still looking for someone who'll prescribe them in the UK though, that is the ideal for me......

SickOfSickness
thanks for the info - I'm thinking about making a cream with the bcomplex tablets and coconut oil and applying it to my skin - I don't know if that will work. I don't fancy the nasal gel - I have very sensitive tissues in my nasal passage (had an op years ago) but thanks anyway. I'm still looking for someone who'll prescribe them in the UK though, that is the ideal for me......

Skin would surely be less effective than oral which the article says is not so effective. Injections are definitely the way to go and I hope you find someone.

Delia

SickOfSickness

Dr Myhill talks about transdermal sprays I think

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Transdermal_micronutrients

Delia

Beyond

Who is MG in the quoted conversation? Did I miss it on the links?

I have hypoadreanalism that has progressed quite severely over the 7+ years I've been sick with this.

It may be my major /primary area to fix as I also hav day night reversal which a subset of those with hypoadreanalism have, and it's ruining my life. And cannot even find an appropriate treatment for that, to even present to my doctor, or find anyone who can help.

I do currently take Jarrow Adrenal Optimizer. I used to take the adrenal adaptogenic herbs (i can list those later if anyone wants) and some mushroom preparation from my pharmacy that worked for over two years until I was put on Armour thyroid (I was always sub clinical hypothyroid my whole adult life)

That made my adrenal supplement stop working, but I didn't know why until after 9 mos of taking it. I could not find and tried every adrenal supplement possible the next two years. I feel pretty strongly I went into adrenal distress in the fall of 2011. That was so painful and I could not get out of bed for about 3 weeks-the first time I was bedridden without a flu since this whole illness began in 2005.

My doctor copied a page out of her big Tome on CFS by an adrenal doctor I can't remember, and I even though I made extra copies, I lost them all in my house :(

The Jarrow formula was the exact recommendations and amouts in his article. Fwiw. I ordered off Amazon. I do believe it has helped me tremendously. Though I still have had a bad year year and a half I attribute to some other causes.

I also stopped the kelp (iodine source) I'd always taken for my thyroid before I went on Armour, being scared to do anything. Plus, it never seemed to help, hence the going on the Armour...

But this spring, I happened to out my adrenal problems to my insurance agent and it turns out that she has thyroid/adrenal problems.

She recommended the website Stop The Thyroid Madness and Miss Lizzie's (I think) blog.

I read through them (over and over until I had a plan. And added iodine back in for the thyroid to balance my adrenals. I found Tri-Iodine by Terry Naturally at my health food store. I just finished 90 days. (One bottle)

It has helped tremendously. Maybe I wouldn't be up and reading and writing about cfs now because I was unable to do the least thing the last year, and only a tiny bit more functioning the year before that.

Be careful on those two sites though. I think some recommendations are too potentially scary to try without a doctor. The adrenal thyroid axis can go very wrong easily! My doctor approves my choices with me and watches over me.

Best of luck!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Delia here is the link for that interview: http://www.healingedge.net/store/article_adrenal_interview.html

High dose Iodine is in my mind for the future. Too many people say it helps to ignore it. However, right now I will be concentrating in the gut. Then adrenals and then thyroid. You cannot go wrong following that order (I just wonder where goes methylation and if it will be necessary at all) If you boost thyroid without proper adrenal support a crash follows as some people have posted.

I slowly degenerated until I was sleeping by 8 AM to 15-16 PM. Then I bought the GIO earthing device and the last months I havent slept later than 2 AM, and normally I fall asleep at 12:30 AM. I say normally because I still have insomnia (no drowsiness or sleepiness at night and actually feel more alive at evening/night) and sometimes it gets a little crazy again. So I recommend earthing, but is just a temporary fix, or a little improvement. Curing adrenals, leaky gut, thyroid and maybe methylation are were the real improvement in sleep lays.

The Jarrow supplement lacks lots of things and have too little of the others. To correct severe adrenal fatigue is needed a more extensive protocol that goes beyond supplements. The best IMO is outlined in a book wrote by Dr Wilson. I downloaded it here myself, is clean, but as always you need good protection when downloading stuff.Here, free download for you!: http://www.ebook3000.com/Adrenal-Fatigue--The-21st-Century-Stress-Syndrome_106109.html

bertiedog

Dr Myhill talks about transdermal sprays I think

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Transdermal_micronutrients

I have been using 5 sprays of this every day and have noticed a really big increase in energy especially in my legs. Its the first time I have used the Hydroxy form having used small doses of methycobalamin injections from Dr Myhill but they didn't have anything like the effect the Hydroxy form has.

I think that the different forms of B12 do different jobs in our bodies. Cannot believe the effect of this spray, its brilliant and so much cheaper than the methylcobalamin injections.

Pam

bertiedog

I think for anybody with adrenal issues that its worth trying a herbal extract of Siberian Ginseng because it is an adaptogen. Probably its best to take it just after breakfast and lunch, any later and it could interfere with sleep. As with everything else go slow and build up gradually. Perhaps by using this and something like licorice root you would cover both aspects of the adrenals that tend to be weakened in this illness (the tendancy to low blood sugar and also the loss of sodium).

Pam

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I have been using 5 sprays of this every day and have noticed a really big increase in energy especially in my legs. Its the first time I have used the Hydroxy form having used small doses of methycobalamin injections from Dr Myhill but they didn't have anything like the effect the Hydroxy form has.

I think that the different forms of B12 do different jobs in our bodies. Cannot believe the effect of this spray, its brilliant and so much cheaper than the methylcobalamin injections.

Pam

I notice the TD spray is only available in cyanocobalamin form - not a good one for me.

bertiedog

Sorry, I did think it was the hydroxy version. Anyway I cannot believe the effect it has on me whereas the methylcobalamin I had been using on and off for years did nothing for me at least energy-wise.

Pam

Delia

Delia here is the link for that interview: http://www.healingedge.net/store/article_adrenal_interview.html

High dose Iodine is in my mind for the future. Too many people say it helps to ignore it. However, right now I will be concentrating in the gut. Then adrenals and then thyroid. You cannot go wrong following that order (I just wonder where goes methylation and if it will be necessary at all) If you boost thyroid without proper adrenal support a crash follows as some people have posted.

I slowly degenerated until I was sleeping by 8 AM to 15-16 PM. Then I bought the GIO earthing device and the last months I havent slept later than 2 AM, and normally I fall asleep at 12:30 AM. I say normally because I still have insomnia (no drowsiness or sleepiness at night and actually feel more alive at evening/night) and sometimes it gets a little crazy again. So I recommend earthing, but is just a temporary fix, or a little improvement. Curing adrenals, leaky gut, thyroid and maybe methylation are were the real improvement in sleep lays.

The Jarrow supplement lacks lots of things and have too little of the others. To correct severe adrenal fatigue is needed a more extensive protocol that goes beyond supplements. The best IMO is outlined in a book wrote by Dr Wilson. I downloaded it here myself, is clean, but as always you need good protection when downloading stuff.Here, free download for you!: http://www.ebook3000.com/Adrenal-Fatigue--The-21st-Century-Stress-Syndrome_106109.html

Edit: anyone taking iodine needs to take selenium too! I don't know why exactly yet. But it's very important.

Thanks! I didn't see this reply! I'm new here and other replies were coming to my email!

I'm learning! Now I check the watch threads thing. I hope that works.

This is great info!

Yes, my ~second~ no third doctor (actually nurse practitioner) put me on Dr Wilson's serum but really only turned out to be a replica a mix made at the compounding pharmacy she had me go to.

It nearly effing killed me. When I found out it wasn't dr Wilson's serum I went online to find some. It was too expensive for me.

I was still working, hanging on to my job by a thread, single mother of two kids with challenging disabilities and I gave up.

It was the beginning of the end with my time with that practitioner. It was close to my first soc sec hearing after 3 years of waiting. At the very end she screwed me. Saying everything was due to me not exercising.

She was the one who told me I had fibromyalgia in addition to cfs. But she never wrote it in her records! I didn't even know I had fibro (at that time just achy joints) she wrote neither down so I had no official cfs dx!

Despite the fact that I saw her practically every two weeks for two years and that's all she talked about was my fibro and cfs! Everything was in terms of that!

I worked on gut issues the first few years. Also nearly killed me. The herxing was so bad. I had to work and live. It made me, as I am this last two years- mostly housebound and bedridden.

I will go back now and do some more research on Dr Wilson. I may have been turned off, in my poverty and sickness of yet another doctor with * THE ANSWER* but only at a price I just cannot afford. One hand out to help and the other hand in my very spare pocket...

I will also check out the GIO earthling device too!

Thanks so much!

/the jarrow got me up out of adrenal crisis. It does help. But I feel it is just barely keeping me alive. The Tri-iodine helps tremendously, but yes I have NOT yet found the mix/thing/whatever that would make me feel my adrenal thyroid complex are decently or even more than minimally working!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Delia with Iodine you need these nutrients if you want it to make it work optimally. Selenium is one of them, is because it is needed for Iodine to really deliver results in the thyroid area: http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html

When I talk about leaky gut I am talking of just rebuilding the intestinal lining, replenish flora and lower inflammation. http://integrativehealthconnection....1/Leaky-gut-in-CFS-treatment-of-leaky-gut.pdf That shouldnt give herx (maybe the bacteria thing yes). Anyway, if you got so much detox, something must be lurking.

I like your avatar btw. Did you draw it?

Delia

Delia with Iodine you need these nutrients if you want it to make it work optimally. Selenium is one of them, is because it is needed for Iodine to really deliver results in the thyroid area: http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html

Thanks! I will double check my list against this.

I have a terrible time. I am or my body is in opposition to many of the recommended supplements. And foods and almost every diet so far. I get sick as hell.

I recently learned of over metholators and the list of what supplements they shouldn't take are ones I do horrible on. And I fit most of the symptom list.

Now, of the symptoms not on both lists (there are some on both) I also have some symptoms of under methylation.

I can't find a methylation plan for over metholators. But I'm looking!

What's more, I'm starting to think my body may be going back and forth sometimes under sometimes over methylating...

When I talk about leaky gut I am talking of just rebuilding the intestinal lining, replenish flora and lower inflammation. http://integrativehealthconnection....1/Leaky-gut-in-CFS-treatment-of-leaky-gut.pdf That shouldnt give herx (maybe the bacteria thing yes). Anyway, if you got so much detox, something must be lurking.

Oh I thought it was the candida etc. well, the detox could have been my CMV-my ground zero for this illness. There's no way of knowing, especially when you had a so called integrative nurse practitioner who doesn't believe in testing the gut. :/ everything I read at the time said to scale back if the herxing was as bad as mine was. And then rest and restart and adjust dosages. So a little herx=ok means you're healing. But as bad as I was was getting into liver damage area, I believe.

Well, I am going to look up your link and check it against what I do now.

Last year after I went into adrenal crisis, I did follow dr Teitlebaum's plan to get off Prilosec (yes they had me on Prilosec since 2008! I had no idea it was the opposite of what I should be doing) over several months built up my gut lining following his procedure except every time I tried to take the enzymes or betaine, the response was so horrific. So I kept building up my gut. From fall until one day in July I restarted enzymes and ended up in the hospital.

I am so confused! I went back on the Prilosec took their damn carafate for a while and now I am back on the building up to go off Prilosec. I mean, I was regularly having the acids go up my esophagus and into my lungs while I slept. When it happens and you wake up unable to breathe with acid burning your lung tissue and you wonder am I going to die now?

I went to a soft slow gut thing of eating local made greek yogurt. Before that I was having kefirsmoothie everyday (store bought) but I am also unable to tolerate tannins which are in everything! But realky high in berries etc that was in my kefir and in my green and chamomile teas. All stuff I was loading up on for my health! Al my Dr Wahl's diet-tannin filled plus other things that made me real sick. All the healthy stuff! Greens, fresh vegetables I kept at and kept at making me sicker and more crippled. Nothing made sense.

I'd forget to take my very expensive probiotics and never could feel whether they were active or inert. I could and do feel best on the Greek yogurt.

Suffice it to say, I've been very confused.

I like your avatar btw. Did you draw it?

Thanks! Yes I did draw that! I've been trying to start drawing again in the hopes I could sell portraits eventually. I draw people for free on an art forum to practice. I can sometimes draw even when I am sick. I thought maybe I could develop an online business, draw portraits for gifts or whatever. But even on the free site I have people offering to pay me to do more drawings for them. My anxiety is so high, I can't perform. Every time I seek out a way to bring in any kind of money/work it seems to get shut down like this. I got a bunch of my drawings on a Facebook page, got ready to at least try, got a tumblr started and then crashed full on since late July.

I haven't given up hope completely, just don't know what to do. Also my brain is mush and I need help from my sister to even figure out pay pay etc. it's just the slightest thin overwhelms me/my abilities. But when I draw for free it's a breeze.

Ps I googled and cannot find GIO earthling device anywhere!

Sorry for all the ipad typos. I just can't seem to find and fix all of them.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Haha is earthing GIO. We are the earthlings! :D

OK Delia my livelong problems are a trip to the park (to the park of suffering heh heh) compared to yours. My crazy responses to things are normally limitated to methylsupplements and psychiatric medication. So is much easier to me to just say "Allright lets do this!" and try another therapy/supplement/whatever.

I just can tell you that if you have leaky gut starting by that is a good basis to start regenerating your body. I found out with testing IgG food intolerances. Basically I was intolerant to everything. Be careful if you try, I know that some severe cases react even to glutamine. N acetyl glucosamine would be a good idea to start.

I like your style. If you want link me to more of your things. I also used to draw, I was very creative and had a peculiar style that everybody knew was different (some people liked it, others not) .I tried to start Arts when my "illness" was brewing. I left not because of my manageable symptoms of then but because it was not my thing. But since I have so many pains and dysfunctions I focus in healing. Plus I no longer enjoy drawing at all. In some degree I believe art is something secondary that gets shut down when you are in danger, like libido (although that one always tries to come back even with anemic forces). But even while I had some talent and a lot of imagination my relationship with art was negative, I tended to pour into my drawings and paintings my depression or anger. And I had to destroy some of the things I did just because they were something bad that I no longer identified with.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Thanks! Yes I did draw that! I've been trying to start drawing again in the hopes I could sell portraits eventually. I draw people for free on an art forum to practice. I can sometimes draw even when I am sick. I thought maybe I could develop an online business, draw portraits for gifts or whatever. But even on the free site I have people offering to pay me to do more drawings for them. My anxiety is so high, I can't perform. Every time I seek out a way to bring in any kind of money/work it seems to get shut down like this. I got a bunch of my drawings on a Facebook page, got ready to at least try, got a tumblr started and then crashed full on since late July.
Have you read this thread: Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Sorry for all the ipad typos. I just can't seem to find and fix all of them.
Typos are par for the course here. I would not spend a lot of time finding and fixing them.