• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Try an abdominal binder or what?

Knee high compression socks help me. I am undecided if I should get a higher compression sock, or try something else. I read abdominal binders help more? Are they uncomfortable?

Also, sometimes I want something that doesn't cover my feet, so I can walk barefoot outside and touch the ground. So I hope the abdominal binder would work or what other options do I have? Don't the footless compression stockings push too much blood to your feet?

I don't like the nylon stocking type fabric, but I will get that if necessary.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Knee high compression socks help me. I am undecided if I should get a higher compression sock, or try something else. I read abdominal binders help more? Are they uncomfortable?

Also, sometimes I want something that doesn't cover my feet, so I can walk barefoot outside and touch the ground. So I hope the abdominal binder would work or what other options do I have? Don't the footless compression stockings push too much blood to your feet?

I don't like the nylon stocking type fabric, but I will get that if necessary.

I have a few types of abdominal binders and they are good if you have splanchic (abdominal) blood pooling as many of us do.

I wear cotton compression knee sock daily but add the binder if it is a bad OI day. Thing to look for is tight! A pull-on (like Spanx) won't be tight enough. I have a hook and eye one and also one with a zipper that work well. They are not exactly uncomfortable but it is like a python around your middle.:confused:

I found them for a cheap price at a department store outlet.

Sushi

Sushi

Do you think one with velcro closure might work?
Could work but I think you need to try them on. Here is the sort of thing I found very cheaply at a department store discount shop--it looks like it zip both on the side and front:
tramflap_girdle_zip750_fs.jpg

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Could work but I think you need to try them on.
Thanks for the reply and moving this to the appropriate thread (easy for me to go off on a tangent without realizing it).

I was hoping for something that just went around the middle and could be cinched closed vs. a garment that went down the legs and had to be pulled on. I hate shopping, even for regular clothes, so I was hoping it was something I could look for and buy online.

Gingergrrl

My cardio thought at my last appt that I have blood pooling in the liver and spleen so I asked him if this is splanchnic pooling and he said yes. We didn't get to discuss it and it was more of a passing comment while discussing other things. But I am going to ask about it when I go to the Autonomic Clinic at Stanford.

The garment in the picture looks very tight and I feel like I would not be able to breathe in it! I like to wear loose, comfortable clothing like leggings and t-shirts and feel like I would suffocate with one of those on. It wasn't actually recommended to me yet but am curious in case it is in the future.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
One that fits well is actually very comfortable. They don't constrict the lung area and since they reduce splanchic pooling, I always felt better wearing one--providing it was a good fit.
I think if I could cut short slits in the thighs without completely ruining it (causing snags/runs/etc) then a garment like the one you posted would be okay. Because my legs do NOT look like that photo.

For my size my thighs are much larger than average. And my waist is a bit smaller than average. So it's hard to find things that fit me. I don't want thigh compression, just abdominal compression. :)

Sushi

I think if I could cut short slits in the thighs without completely ruining it (causing snags/runs/etc) then a garment like the one you posted would be okay. Because my legs do NOT look like that photo.
Nor mine!:lol: I have some that don't cover the thighs but those felt a bit tight at the top of the leg.
For my size my thighs are much larger than average. And my waist is a bit smaller than average. So it's hard to find things that fit me. I don't want thigh compression, just abdominal compression. :)
The one I have with hooks and eyes had two rows of hooks so you could sort of custom fit. There are really all sorts of these things out there. Most are sold as girdles. :cautious: