• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep success!

perchance dreamer

Madietodd, I wonder what kind of result you'd have if you skipped a day or two using it? Some people, including me, can't use the Alpha-Stim every day, and maybe it's the same thing with the FWS. I do best using the Alpha-Stim every 3rd night, but some people use it every day with no problem.

I imagine it would be hard to skip a day using it now that you've tasted better sleep with it. Please keep us posted and good luck.

maddietod

I asked about that when I called customer service - because I had just skipped a day and reverted. They said it was much too early in treatment to start skipping. Once established in a normal sleep pattern, clients shift to using the device a few times a week.

Of course when I drink caffeine I can't count that night's insomnia against the stimulator. And I use caffeine every few days so I can get things done. So reporting will be spotty!

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
madietodd, I'm so happy to read that you've found something to help you sleep. After such a long struggle to find help I hope this continues to improve your sleep!
Of course when I drink caffeine I can't count that night's insomnia against the stimulator. And I use caffeine every few days so I can get things done.

Yet another thing that makes me feel like I live in "opposite land" -- caffeine has absolutely no effect on my sleep. In fact, drinking a cup of coffee in the evening can actually help my sleep. I'm so weird. o_O

I stumbled on this by accident. I was at some social occasion in the evening so I had some coffee and slept better that night. So then tested it to see if it was just a coincidence. Having a little caffeine seems to help my sleep. I'm guessing it's related to caffeine's vasoconstrictive properties? Of course, now I take midodrine during the day, which is a much more powerful vasoconstrictor! So I think anything caffeine did would be masked by the midodrine.

maddietod

Is that a typo... or are you really getting overstimulated? If so, then how can it help your sleep?

I am curious to try this, but not if it's overstimulating.

I'd wait a bit on trying it; let me see how it works out over a few more weeks.

maddietod

I've just finished 4 weeks with the FWS. I'm getting 2 nights a week where I only wake up twice, and 5 where I wake up 4-5 times. I use it an hour before bed, or it keeps me awake.

I just chatted with customer service (which is great). They said try at level 3 for a week, and then at level 4 if there's no improvement at 3. They also said they will extend the return window if I need that; just email them. But I won't return it. 2 better nights a week means 2 better days.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
madietodd Thanks for checking in.

2 questions: How long did it take you to feel the shift in your sleep? And did you have any problems along the way... in regard to the timing of when you use the device and the setting you put it on?

thanks in advance

Dreambirdie

work in progress
What's FWS? I went back through the thread but there are too many words. Haha

In answer to your question, the very first post (with my bold) says:

My doctor prescribed a Fisher Wallace Stimulator, and I put off buying it because it costs almost $700. He said insurance covers it, but I haven't submitted it yet.

In one week I went from 5-6 wakings a night to 3. I just finished my second week, and last night and the night before I only woke up once. The strangest thing is that I've stopped having to pee in the middle of the night.

You use it twice a day for 20 minutes, the second time right before bed.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanks Dreambirdie. Do you take any meds? (sorry my brain can't handle going back through the thread).

I thankfully only wake once.

Mink

maddietod

No, I have the FWS. Confusing isn't it?

Dreambirdie, yes I had to make adjustments, and I'm still doing that. The Fisher Wallace people are very helpful by phone or by chat.

Everybody starts out at level 2. After 7 days I felt like maybe I was sleeping better. By day 10 I was sure, but I have a good night and then a few worse ones, so it's very non-linear. The steadiest improvement is that once I fall asleep, I stay asleep for up to 4 hours. Before, I'd fall asleep and then be up and down for an hour, and then I'd wake every hour or 2.

I started having trouble falling asleep, and they told me to use it an hour before bed. That immediately solved that problem. They said to also lower the level to 1, but at 1, nothing happened at all.

Then I figured it was time to tell them it's working in a very spotty way. They said to go to level 3 for a week, and then 4 if 3 doesn't make any differences. I'm only 2 days into that shift and have nothing to report yet.

If you're thinking about buying this machine, notice that you'll need more sponges after the 2 month trial period. That will cost $60 for 48. The sponges are extra dense, so they hold a lot of water and conduct the electricity better than anything I've tested.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
madietodd Thanks for elaborating on how you proceeded with the FWS.

I just got the unit in the mail today, and tried it an hour ago at a level 2 for 20 minutes, like they say to. I don't think I felt much of anything, but maybe the sponges were not quite wet enough...? I am going to try it again tomorrow afternoon. I don't want to use it twice a day yet and I also don't want to try it too close to bed, in case it's over-stimulating.

I don't usually have problems falling asleep, but I have a lot of multiple wake-ups all night long that prevent me from getting good sleep. We'll see if this can help me with that.

maddietod

Good luck! If the lights are flashing so you can see you're at level 2, the sponges are wet enough. When the sponges are too dry or too worn out, you can crank the machine all the way up but it won't flash yellow past one or so.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I have used the FWS four times now, and so far I've had no adverse effects from it. That's always a good sign. I did have immediate, adverse and lasting negative effects (as in significant over-stimulation) from both the Alpha Stimulator and the Vie (red intra-nasal) Light.

As for sleep... I don't notice much of a difference yet. But since I haven't given the FWS the 2X/day attempt, I will refrain from any conclusions as to its efficacy on my sleep until I work my way up to that level.

One thing I have noticed is that this company is very aggressively marketing their product. I've seen their ads for the FWS in so many places on the internet, even on the THESAURUS page. Kind of obnoxious.

maddietod

Remember that I didn't notice anything definitive until the 10th day at twice a day.

It sounds like you're getting targeted ads. Did you do a search for Fisher Wallace on Google? I do all of my searches through Startpage now, and the ads have magically stopped!

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Remember that I didn't notice anything definitive until the 10th day at twice a day.

Yuppers, I know. I am being *extra careful* to make sure I get no negative effects first. I got blasted right out of orbit with just a one time use of that red x-mas light (the Vie Light) up my nose.

Also, the fact that you can tolerate caffeine and hydrocortisone tells me you have a very different body chemistry than I do. Caffeine makes my heart palpitate out of control, and HC ruined my adrenals and sent me into a crash that has lasted me since March of 2009.

It sounds like you're getting targeted ads. Did you do a search for Fisher Wallace on Google? I do all of my searches through Startpage now, and the ads have magically stopped!

Hmmm, I didn't know about this. Yes, I did a google search for the FWS, so maybe that's what triggered all these ads to follow me around. I will take this into account.