• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Let's Explore Other SNP's (APOE Status, Liver pathways etc) Feel free to add!

Valentijn

Someone correct me if not interpreting dbSNP correctly (I interpret all minor alleles as the risk alleles).
You simply can't do that. You have to read the results to see which allele is the risk allele. If you guess, you're going to be wrong about 50% of the time :p

Valentijn

What results? Is there some other reference on snpDB that indicates 'risk' allele or helps determine risk allele?
Yes, it usually links to research papers written about the SNP if there is any. On the gene's chromosome map near the top of the page, if there's any research linked to it there will be a light blue box on the green line showing the current SNP. If you hover over the box, it gives a list with links to the pubmed abstracts.

Then you have to read the abstracts or full papers to find out which allele is the risky one.

Critterina

Here's another one I'd like to know about: ATP5c1. I was reading about this gene making the gamma unit which spins in the ATP synthase complex. My ATP5c1 is full of mutations.

ATP5c1 rs2778475 A AG +/-
ATP5c1 rs1244414 T CT +/-
ATP5c1 rs1244422 T TT +/+
ATP5c1 rs12770829 T CC
ATP5c1 rs4655 C CC +/+
I've always had a slow metabolism (being active, my calorie intake is about 350 calories below what my practitioner says is my basal metabolism rate - what I would burn by sleeping 24/7 - when my weight is stable.) I wonder if it's connected. I'm still stronger than most people, too. So many mysteries!

roxie60

ATP5c1 rs2778475 A AG +/-
ATP5c1 rs1244414 T CC -/-
ATP5c1 rs1244422 T CT +/-
ATP5c1 rs12770829 T CT +/-
ATP5c1 rs4655 C CT +/-

My understanding so far is if one is heterozyg that the genes may or may not be turned in in a fashion that causes health issues but that an event (health, stress, other) can turn on the negative impact of the hetero gene but it may still not be known the amount of impact.

picante

The thing that confused me was whether I was looking at the positive or negative strand for all this, and then, after figuring that out, it turns out that it's a haplotype-issue: individual SNPs don't make as much difference as what combinations you have. The same PMID article said:
Yes, I was wondering the same thing about that NAT2PRED tool. When I input my 23andme results (as is), I get:
Slow = 0.997581. When I look at haplotypes, I think I'm probably *6A/*6A.

I found this a while ago: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24221535
“We identified an 'ultra-slow' acetylator phenotype based on combined *6A/*6A, *6A/*7B and *7B/*7B genotypes containing the homozygous minor alleles of C282T (rs1041983, *6A, *7B) and G590A (rs1799930, *6A).”

I have both of those homozygous snps.

I don't understand this gene. Does it affect your ability to produce acetyl groups? That sounds pretty important to me, since it will affect cognition and the ability to detoxify carcinogens and a whole lot of drugs.

In another thread, @caledonia said "In addition, you have to balance methyl groups with acetyl groups in order to balance reuptake of neurotransmitters. The relative levels of neurotransmitters are not nearly as important as the reuptake functioning." http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-in-a-way-i-can-understand.34707/#post-541118

Does this point to a need to take acetyl-containing supplements? Which ones? How do we boost acetylation?

I'm really scratching my foggy-groggy head about this. Why is my brain function so bad lately on the B12 protocol? Something's really out of whack. Is it methyl/acetyl equilibrium?

Can someone help? @Valentijn, do you know?

caledonia

I'm really scratching my foggy-groggy head about this. Why is my brain function so bad lately on the B12 protocol? Something's really out of whack. Is it methyl/acetyl equilibrium?

Can someone help? @Valentijn, do you know?

You could be detoxing metals. I've gone through periods of having a muggy head too. Came out of it eventually though. This is something Rich Vank reported.