• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Brain Fog Triggers

sregan

I'm thinking my Fog issues are directly tied to my gut. I write software all day so any changes I notice immediately. I have been taking Huperzine A, DMAE and Pregnenolone for this which helps usually.

I get brain fog repeatedly when.....

1. I workout in the gym (I believe this is due to increased oxygen intake)

2. I eat yogurt (there are some other food triggers I haven't completely isolated yet)

3. I'm out in the sun for a prolonged time (heat?)

4. If I am in front of my far-infrared heater. The longer the worse the fog.

5. If I am dressed warmer (undershirt/longsleeve/jacket)

Does anyone believe it is in their gut and/or tied to their body temp?

Lou

I'm thinking my Fog issues are directly tied to my gut. I write software all day so any changes I notice immediately. I have been taking Huperzine A, DMAE and Pregnenolone for this which helps usually.

2. I eat yogurt (there are some other food triggers I haven't completely isolated yet)

#4 Is your fir heater ceramic? If so, that's probably the problem.

Lou

Lou, It's not. If it were why would that be a problem?

Just my own experience, I should have said possibly the problem instead of probably. I don't know what ceramic heaters are outgassing, but if I'm around one then brain fog soon follows.

Quartz heaters don't seem to have this negative effect on me. Neither does my FIR sauna.

sregan

Just my own experience, I should have said possibly the problem instead of probably. I don't know what ceramic heaters are outgassing, but if I'm around one then brain fog soon follows.

Quartz heaters don't seem to have this negative effect on me. Neither does my FIR sauna.

I didn't know they were giving off fumes. Something to be aware of for sure!

Hip

I get brain fog repeatedly when I workout in the gym (I believe this is due to increased oxygen intake)

Hardly surprising.

Post-exertional malaise (PEM) — the worsening of ME/CFS symptoms soon after physical and/or mental exertion — is a characteristic phenomenon ME/CFS.

Dan_USAAZ

I am also very heat sensitive. I found this in relation to MS. Maybe something similar occurring in ME.

Heat sensitivity — Heat sensitivity (Uhthoff phenomenon) is a well known occurrence in MS; small increases in the body temperature can temporarily worsen current or preexisting signs and symptoms. This phenomenon is presumably the result of conduction block developing in central pathways as the body temperature increases. Normally, the nerve conduction safety factor decreases with increasing temperature until a point is reached at which conduction block occurs; this point of conduction block is reached at a much lower temperature in demyelinated nerves.

Jarod

Hi All,

Most of what you put down sounds similiar to my symptoms Sregan.

Understanding heame, pyphoria, and liver function might help you. It helped me put some kind of science behind my symptoms as they relate to brain fog etc.

Most of my personal treatment focus is on the gut and liver and things that help or hurt those organs.

I used to have a computer job and found that it is easy to push too hard while using a computer 6 or more hours a day. I found that excercising at lunch and frequent breaks helpful in breaking that up.