• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-complex problems

Thinktank

I would like to use a b-complex but every single one i try sends me right into a crash or overstimulates me.
Nutreval (see my results) shows i'm in moderate need for B2 & B3, the others are low but not insufficient. I tested B12 last week and it came back at 512.

I will start a methylation protocol soon but until then i'd like to experiment with a good b-complex.
It has to be hypoallergenic because i'm on the GAPS / SCD protocol and preferably a little bit higher in B2 and B3.

Looking forward to some of your recommendations.

juniemarie

Why dont you take them separately adding them one at a time. Of course saving b 12 for last. Thats what I do so I can see how each one works for me I have added 2, 3and 6 so far. next on the list is 5

Thinktank

Why dont you take them separately adding them one at a time. Of course saving b 12 for last. Thats what I do so I can see how each one works for me I have added 2, 3and 6 so far. next on the list is 5

I bought all the seperate B vits from life extension about 6 months ago but they are all too high in strength.
I believe it's better to use certain B-vits together because one can deplete the other, that's why i prefer to use a good b-complex, one that does well with most CFS patients.

Plum, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

caledonia

I would like to use a b-complex but every single one i try sends me right into a crash or overstimulates me.
Nutreval (see my results) shows i'm in moderate need for B2 & B3, the others are low but not insufficient. I tested B12 last week and it came back at 512.

I will start a methylation protocol soon but until then i'd like to experiment with a good b-complex.
It has to be hypoallergenic because i'm on the GAPS / SCD protocol and preferably a little bit higher in B2 and B3.

Looking forward to some of your recommendations.

I'm doing well with Yasko's B complex. It's lower in B6, which is better for those with CBS mutations like me. There is unfortunately some "folic acid" in it, if that's a problem for you. http://www.holisticheal.com/ultimate-b-complex.html

The Thorne B complex I had tried previously has quite a bit of B6 in it, and I could only tolerate 1/8 of one pill.

Ben Lynch's B complex could be another option. He makes some nice high quality vitamins without a bunch of fillers, and never any "folic acid". http://www.seekinghealth.com/b-complex-supplement.html

The overstimulation/crashing problems you're having could be either CBS or metal detox. Might be better to wait until your 23andme comes back.

Thinktank

caledonia, thanks again for your input.

The Thorne basic b-complex is exactly the one i tried last time. I used only half of a capsule but the effects very very strong! First i felt overstimulated and crashed later on. I also had the worst big D which came out chemically yellow haha just as my urine. Maybe too much B2 in it for me?

I've had no problems with folic acid so far. My GI prescribed me 5mg folic acid daily about a year ago, i didn't feel a thing from it.

Ben Lynch is the MTHFR guy right? His B-complex looks quite good. Not too high in biotin which is good for me, biotin usually makes me very drowsy.
Too bad it contains pyridoxine and not pyridoxal.

I might order some of Yasko's products depending on the 23andme and yasko's test results.

Thinktank

These are the ones I've taken with no ill effect. The doses seem low but then they are completely available to your body for absorption due to the source. I think they're great for people with ME as the dose is low.

http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowProductFamily.aspx?ProductFamilyID=244

I tried the low dose multivitamin from higher nature for 2 days now and it still gives me a feeling of over-stimulation followed by a crash. The dark circles under my eyes also get worse while on it.
I need a multivitamin without the B-vits and then add a B-complex starting in very tiny amounts.

caledonia, i'm still waiting for my 23andme results. I will read on the CBS mutation. From what i know it's important to address that mutation before anything else right?

Thinktank

I'm wondering if the microbrial fermentation process might be the cause of the reaction i'm having on all these multivitamins and b-complexes.

caledonia

I tried the low dose multivitamin from higher nature for 2 days now and it still gives me a feeling of over-stimulation followed by a crash. The dark circles under my eyes also get worse while on it.
I need a multivitamin without the B-vits and then add a B-complex starting in very tiny amounts.

caledonia, i'm still waiting for my 23andme results. I will read on the CBS mutation. From what i know it's important to address that mutation before anything else right?

Yes, if CBS is expressed, you need to address it first or you will get the stress/anxiety reaction from methyl supps. ACAT and SHMT are the other First Priority mutations you need to address first.

Thinktank

Finally, i believe to have found a b-complex that i partially tolerate. It's called Ultra activated b-complex made by Swanson. A whole capsule still overstimulates me but not so much as others do so i will try half a capsule tomorrow.

Pros:
Very little stomach discomfort
No Diarrhea!
No increased polyuria

Negs:
Still getting an overstimulated feeling but much less than other the b-complexes give me.
Urine looks chemical.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swan...omplex-high-bioavailability-60-veg-caps#label
It contains the activated forms of the B-vitamins and no allergic fillers.

Thiamin (vitamin B-1) (as benfotiamine) 25 mg 1,667%
Riboflavin (as riboflavin 5'-phosphate) 25 mg 1,471%
Niacin (as inositol hexanicotinate) 50 mg 250%
Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxal 5-phosphate) 25 mg 1,250%
Folate (as Quatrefolic® [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid equivalent to 800 mcg of [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B-12 (as methylcobalamin) 250 mcg 4,167%
Biotin 25 mcg 8%
Choline (as choline dihydrogen citrate) 25 mg *
PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) 25 mg *
Pantethine (coenzyme A precursor)(from Pantesin® 55% pantethine) 25 mg *
Inositol (from inositol hexanicotinate) 12.5 mg *