• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold Sore Linked to Mutation in Gene

Waverunner

I wish researchers would document SNPs and not just gene name. Just having the gene name is not that helpful and I did not see any SNP references in the article.

Yes, I often wonder why they only give the gene name. Sometimes I believe, that they don't want patients to actually look into these things, especially since 23andme is popular.Patronizing and hubris are two huge problems, the medical field is facing. The less patients get involved, the less they can criticize and change. Change is something most people highly dislike.

Yes, I often wonder why they only give the gene name. Sometimes I believe, that they don't want patients to actually look into these things, especially since 23andme is popular.Patronizing and hubris are two huge problems, the medical field is facing. The less patients get involved, the less they can criticize and change. Change is something most people highly dislike.
The researchers almost certainly have identified the SNP ... but the media articles about that research always leave it out.

Sparrowhawk

Just a personal comment though I don't know how it relates to this research:

I used to also get a canker sore anytime I bit or otherwise damaged the inside of my mouth. I also had frequent cold sores. These have completely stopped with Nexavir and GcMAF. I don't know my gene status, but I wouldn't be surprised to have that mutation with this history of cold sores and canker sores.

Sushi
Were you taking those two immune modulators at the same time, Sushi, or one after the other? Are you still taking either? I think you are still on GcMAF? Thanks.

Bob

Interestingly, I'd never had a cold sore in my life, until a few months (possibly 4 to 6?) before I got ME. I was working in a filthy hospital at the time, and a number of the patients had cold sores at the same time. So I picked it up through normal social contact, which I didn't think was possible. Some sort of virulent strain? But I was also getting a series of Hep B booster vaccines at the time as well. So perhaps I had a combination of immune onslaughts going on at the time.

Waverunner

The researchers almost certainly have identified the SNP ... but the media articles about that research always leave it out.

But why do they leave it out? The identified SNPs are the most important part because we can actually compare it to our results at 23andme.

But why do they leave it out? The identified SNPs are the most important part because we can actually compare it to our results at 23andme.
Because it's not relevant to most of their readers. We're an unusual subset, with 1) access to our genetic data, and 2) a special interest in seeing if we have these variations.

Waverunner

Because it's not relevant to most of their readers. We're an unusual subset, with 1) access to our genetic data, and 2) a special interest in seeing if we have these variations.

The original studies are one thing but the related use in newspaper articles or science news (e.g. sciencedaily) are to be viewed different in my eyes. These sites are viewed by people who are interested. These people therefore likely have genetic information. It would be very convenient and no problem to actually name the SNPs in those articles.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Were you taking those two immune modulators at the same time, Sushi, or one after the other? Are you still taking either? I think you are still on GcMAF? Thanks.

Yes, I was taking them at the same time and still take them. Nexavir seems to work on cell wells as I understand it, and thus indirectly as an antiviral.

Best,
Sushi