• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Healed via Methylation/Yasko Protocol?

I've been reading and trying to learn, and relearn what my brain doesn't seem to hold onto, from all the great posts and comments here in the forums.

I'm working on my daughter's methylation issues, first (my DNA results aren't in yet...had to be redone). She's on a bit of a protocol to start, while we wait for her stool and amino acid tests to be done before we begin a full protocol.

Anyway, as I'm reading and re-reading posts about methylation and the Yasko protocol, to me it seems that many people who are doing it are *still* working on fixing their issues. I haven't read any posts from people saying they are getting great results (have I missed those, somehow?). This makes me wonder if all that is being done is actually working, or not??

I'm unwell, confused, and trying to help my daughter in addition to holding myself together.

If there are members who have been successful with following a protocol, who have a great grasp of methylation issues, are there any of you who are willing to become mentors to help those of us who are at the beginning and struggling with getting started?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've been reading and trying to learn, and relearn what my brain doesn't seem to hold onto, from all the great posts and comments here in the forums.

I'm working on my daughter's methylation issues, first (my DNA results aren't in yet...had to be redone). She's on a bit of a protocol to start, while we wait for her stool and amino acid tests to be done before we begin a full protocol.

Anyway, as I'm reading and re-reading posts about methylation and the Yasko protocol, to me it seems that many people who are doing it are *still* working on fixing their issues. I haven't read any posts from people saying they are getting great results (have I missed those, somehow?). This makes me wonder if all that is being done is actually working, or not??

I'm unwell, confused, and trying to help my daughter in addition to holding myself together.

If there are members who have been successful with following a protocol, who have a great grasp of methylation issues, are there any of you who are willing to become mentors to help those of us who are at the beginning and struggling with getting started?

From what I have read and experiences, many find improvement but few (if any) get completely healed of ME/CFS using only methylation protocols.

But I hope people join this thread and say that they have been healed!

Sushi

caledonia

Post your questions here as they come up, and there are several people who will be able to answer. Yasko's forum is also a good place, especially if you're following a straight up Yasko protocol. The moms there are very knowledgeable and happy to answer questions.

Greenshots is probably the best example of someone who's recovered on a Yasko protocol. I believe she's back to work. She worked with a good doc.

I've had a 50% improvement in adrenals and thyroid based on the amount of meds/supps I've been able to reduce. I'm taking a break to work on the gut, but I have every reason to believe I can get the thyroid/adrenals working 100%. I'm doing what I would call "Yasko lite".

Check out the links in my signature starting with the Methylation Made Easy videos.

helen1

I've read about a number of people here who have improved significantly (some have said 80%, some have said 90% better) and some who say they've recovered completely. Most have had to do other treatments as well as methylation, i.e. healing the gut, chelation, antivirals, etc.

I'm actually keeping track of who and how many, as I want to be able to contact them personally (which I've done with several) to find out more about their treatments.

Here's the numbers I have so far: 13 consider themselves recovered, with 10 doing a methylation protocol, and 7 consider themselves 80% or 90% recovered, with 6 having done some form of methylation.

Three of these people I think might not have had CFS/ME, as it seems one recovered from treating and avoiding mold exposure, one mainly with hormone treatments and one with neuro-emotional treatments. But there are many roads to CFS, so I've included them.

I'm also keeping track as it gives me hope that recovery is possible. May it give you hope too...

helen1

I meant to say with 10 of the recovered having done methylation as well as other treatments.

Plum

I just wanted to say that I find understanding methylation hard and I'm not the sort to retain info I don't write down. I've found it useful to write down the facts along with diagrams of biochemical pathways.

When I read something new or need something to refer to I have it all written down to go back to. It's helped me a lot :)

xchocoholic

Knowing that cfs/me is an umbrella term that includes multiple illnesses
interfers with any data analysis.

From what I've seen several theories and protocols are popular but
unsubstantiated. Richv always clarified his protocol was just a theory.
Theories are a dime a dozen.

Treating the gut by avoiding toxins, addressing pathogens and food intolerances seems to be
the most helpful. And it's the least expensive.

Plum

I have to agree with xchocoholic - my gut has been in a bad way ever since I got sick and now it's really bad. I don't think there is much point in adding things into a treatment plan if your gut doesn't work well. If I can't digest the food I eat then I'm bound to be nutrient deficient and most supplements I take will probably end up being flushed away.

I think improving digestion, reducing toxins, reducing stress, improving sleep all need to be focused on before trying other things.

xchocoholic

exactly. A lot of the symptoms people say improved via those protocols can be
eliminated via limiting and eliminating toxins.

I remember that Richv was impressed that i got my sleep under control via sleep supplements
like melatonin, 5htp and theanine AFTER eliminating food intolerance and toxins.
He was so helpful. I miss his input.

Wow! Thanks so much for all the responses! *wipes tears* Thanks so very much!!!

Even if it's not THE cure, something that can get us to a point where we can feel better and begin adding in other healing steps is enough hope. Thank you!!!

My daughter has SHMT+/+ and her #1 complaint has been her digestion (followed by fatigue and body pain). It's hard to find SHMT supplements to help a vegetarian. I ordered this product: Nucleotide Complex 300mg 30 Veg Caps - 30 - VegCap to see if it can help, and also ordered Lactoferrin 60 caps by Complementary Prescriptions and E-Lyte/BodyBio Sodium-Potassium Butyrate 500 mg - 100 Capsules and she will be having stool and amino acid tests.

She eats 100% organic, vegetarian whole foods in the house (including eggs and dairy), but does eat packaged junk while out of the house (she's 18), and drinks things like wine and sometimes vodka with her friends (and smokes--ugh). She's super sweet and awesome, but insists she wants to have some "real teen" experiences (hence the drinking and smoking). She is conscious of her stomach issues even more after the DNA tests and it has been helping her make wiser choices for food and her lifestyle.

Since it seems very clear that addressing the gut is definitely the way to start, are there other things she should consider doing? Are there other supplements that will aid her digestion? Caledonia has mentioned the 4R Gut protocol a few times in posts, and I Googled it, but didn't find out what it is beyond remove, repair, replenish, and some other R word.

I don't like being so needy, but I feel so overwhelmed. I used to be able to easily understand things, but these days retention isn't very good and I have too much self doubt. So, I am extremely grateful for all that everyone shares on this forum, and for all the direct responses to my posts. It means so much to me...thanks, again!!

I guess right now, I'd love some guidance in making sure I'm doing the best things for helping her digestion/gut issues.

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi

My daughter's results:

Genetic Genie Report:
+/+ VDR taq AA, SHMT1 C1420T AA,
+/- COMT V158M AG, COMT H62H CT, VDR Bsm CT, MAO A R297R GT, MTR A2756G AG, MTRR A66G AG, MTRR A664A AG

Sterling's MTHFRSupport Report:
+/+ BHMT R239Q/AA, DAO/CC, FUT2/GG, FUT2/AA, FUT2/AA, GAD1/CC, GAD1/CC, GAD1/TT, GAD1/TT, GAD1/GG, MTHFS/CC, NOS3/AA, SHMT1 C1420T/AA
+/- ADD1/GT, AGT/AG, BHMT/CT, BHMT/AG, CBS A13637G/CT, CBS C19150T/AG, CBS C699T/AG, COMT/AG, COMT H62H/CT, COMT V158M/AG, MAO A R297R/GT, MTHFD1 C105T/CT, MTHFD1 G1958A/AG, MTHFD1L/CT, MTHFD1L/AG, MTR A2756G/AG, MTRR A66g/AG, MTRR-11 A664A/AG, MTRR/CT, MTRR/CT, MTRR/AG, NOS2/GT, NOS2/AG, NOS3/AT, NOS3/AG, NOS3 G10T/GT, NOS3 T786C/CT, PEMT/GT, PEMT/AT, SHMT2/AG, SLC19A1/AG, TCN1/AG, TCN2 C766G/CG, TYMS/CT, VDR Bsm/CT

Post your questions here as they come up, and there are several people who will be able to answer. ... Greenshots is probably the best example of someone who's recovered on a Yasko protocol. ... I'm taking a break to work on the gut ... Check out the links in my signature starting with the Methylation Made Easy videos.

Thanks, Caledonia! I will come back here with my questions from now on. And, I will search for posts by Greenshots to see what s/he has shared to gain inspiration.

I have been reviewing the info in your signature...thanks so much for keeping things organized there and for the links for those of us learning!! It's very helpful!

It's probably too much to ask what you're doing to heal your gut, since it seems like you'll be posting that info sometime in the near future with the 4R link. :) I look forward to clicking the link and learning. Thanks!!

XOXOXO

I've read about a number of people here who have improved significantly (some have said 80%, some have said 90% better) and some who say they've recovered completely. Most have had to do other treatments as well as methylation, i.e. healing the gut, chelation, antivirals, etc. I'm actually keeping track of who and how many, as I want to be able to contact them personally (which I've done with several) to find out more about their treatments. ... I'm also keeping track as it gives me hope that recovery is possible. May it give you hope too...

WOW!! Would you consider starting a thread and sharing updates there so we can continue to have hope, also?! Are the people you contact still here on the forums? If not, would they consider coming back and sharing one final post on what they did and how they're doing, etc., to keep us inspired as we are learning and healing?

You definitely have given me hope in sharing what you've shared, above. Thanks!!

XOXOXO

Plum

GypsyA here is a link to my gut issue conversation. If you scroll down on page 1 you can see caledonia wonderful posts which helped me learn a lot.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/gastritis-and-general-gut-health-help-needed.24476/

From Josh RUbin's clips I found the research paper he talks about here:

http://www.afmcp-sa.com/Protocals/MET558 4R ANSR.pdf

I printed it out, read, highlighted etc.

I already have some prior experience with what works well for my stomach so what I am doing:

Removed all allergens, reduced stress, only eat what doesn't upset my stomach. This leaves me with organic meat and veges only. I get fat from organic olive oil and organic butter.

In the morning I take glutamine, fermented cod liver oil, probiotics, liver detox herbs (have taken these since I got ill with ME) and pancreatic glandular (I have studied this a lot over the years I've been ill and believe in the Dr. Kelly/ Dr. Gonzalez view of healing your body).

I take the pancreatic glandular before all meals.

I also take grassfed NZ colostrum in the evening.

I would think seriously about get a good food allergy test done and sticking to it. I can't eat any gluten, grains or eggs.

I do want to do a parasite cleanse in the future but until I start to feel better I don't see the point as my gut is so bad.

If you have gut problems, other supplements aren't going to help.

I know a lot of people swear by betaine hydrochloric acid but due to my recent bout of gastritis I'm not touching the stuff. However, I know it works well for other people with a more intact gut than myself.

I can't stress enough the importance of taking notes of the FACTS so you can refer back as you try things out and see what works and what doesn't. Also start with one supplement at a time in case you get side effects and then don't know which one it was.

Red04

Freddd's protocol has led to a 90-95% recovery with my wife. If she is off the protocol for a week or so, the symptoms come right back, and they go away when she resumes the protocol.

She had classic fibro, ME/CFS symptoms, sleep problems, anxiety, depression, IBS. Her recovery was miraculous. We did not do any genetic testing so I am not certain of her SNPs.

xchocoholic

I have leaky gut and can no longer tolerate some of the B supplements I took
starting about 2 years after removing food intolerances and chemicals from
y diet. I noticed a slight improvement from these but nothing as dramatic
as eating healthier foods.

I continue to feel better from juicing greens but not as significant if i do it everyday.

I suspect those of us with leaky gut will always eventually react to anything we overdo.

Red04, is Fredd's protocol the 4R one? My brain is all jumbled with all the different protocols right now.

xchocoholic, diet is definitely the key. However, when we have bacterial issues and other imbalances (I have lyme and CFS) sometimes our bodies can't handle the healthiest foods.

I used to follow a 100% organic, raw vegan lifestyle (for 4+ years), traveled the country teaching others how to eat healthy and heal their bodies. Then I got bit by a tick and the bacteria spread so quickly through my body and, long story short, I ended up with chronic lyme, reactivated Epstein Barr, CFS, and a stomach that couldn't tolerate anything raw (not even freshly made green juice). :-( Healing the gut is definitely the most important step, but I just don't know how to do that....the bacteria is clever and knows how to hide and then re-emerge, and who knows what else, and going from such a clean, pure diet to cooked foods (still the same foods, but cooked instead of raw), has created weight gain (but that could be from my body slowly starving since digestion isn't working and delivering nutrients), and a whole host of physical ailments.

Anyway, diet is key for sure, IF the gut is well. If the gut isn't well, however, even the cleanest diet isn't going to help a person heal. Fixing the leaky gut is my new priority, thanks to the lovely people here offering help and support and also a sweet guy named Thane who is working with my daughter on understanding the methylation issues she's having.

The links that Caledonia shared with Plum on this thread are so wonderful:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/gastritis-and-general-gut-health-help-needed.24476/

I think collectively we can learn and help each other. :)

xchocoholic

I hesitate to post now because pem hit me so i hope this makes sense.

I'm a paleo diet fan and can't function without meat daily. I've tried and just
can't . I need whatever is in meat vs other protein sources.

also am adding pineapple to green juice for digestion. working well.

Now to crash. lol. interesting info. will read more later.

helen1

GypsyA:
"Would you consider starting a thread and sharing updates there so we can continue to have hope, also?! Are the people you contact still here on the forums? If not, would they consider coming back and sharing one final post on what they did and how they're doing, etc., to keep us inspired as we are learning and healing?"

Are you asking if I could start a "Who's recovered and how" type of thread? I wish I could, to give others hope, but I wouldn't feel comfortable posting about other people if that's what you meant. Some of them are still on the forum and some are not, but all their posts are still up as far as I know. I'm pretty sure Catseye is fine being mentioned as one of the recovered persons and she'd be a great one for you to read, as she's written quite a bit about healing the gut amongst other topics.

Feel free to contact me directly if you want more info, as I'd feel much more comfortable pointing you to various members' posts that way.

You might want to look into the GAPS diet. I know several people who've had significant GI healing on it, including myself. From what I've read, the vegetarian way is not helpful for damaged guts.

Idie

I am also a Fredd's protocol success story. I agree that the gut is important BUT the only thing that healed my gut was getting enough of the the Methyl B12. I did the sublinguals and finally decided to do injections---no kidding my gut improved within a few weeks of having an injection a day. I, too could not tolerate very many foods but can now eat just about anything. I only have to do an injection every 3 days or so now and I don't have to take near as many supplements. I am so thankful to have my life back, the Methyl B12 was the key player for me.