• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insurance denied Valcyte treatment - what next?

Antares in NYC

I just received an infuriating letter in the mail from my insurance provider. After an appeal from my doctor to approve Valcyte, they denied it claiming it's experimental.

What next? What can I do? Am I going to need to deal with lawyers, just so I can get the treatment I need?

I'm so angry and frustrated right now.

Kati

Patient in training
Would you qualify for patient assistance from the company? They need insurance denials ( twice) and a salary less than 100 000$. Keep your paperwork, denial letters, etc.

Let us know how it goes.

vamah

I know how you feel. I wish I had some advice to give you, but I just don't. My doctor had told me that he would send in the insurance form for valcyte, but I should expect it to be rejected. They surprised me and approved it (for how long, I don't know). I hope you are able to work something out.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
If your doctor is willing to write an RX for you, and you can manage it you can find it overseas. I know where I get my acylcovir if you have an RX it's cheaper.

Also Kati is right. Most pharmaceutical companies have what they call Patient Assistance or Indigent plans. Usually you can't have insurance at all but you can try. And this site says you can be denied to qualify. Look around for others.

http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.taf?_function=name&name=Valcyte

SOC

I just received an infuriating letter in the mail from my insurance provider. After an appeal from my doctor to approve Valcyte, they denied it claiming it's experimental.

What next? What can I do? Am I going to need to deal with lawyers, just so I can get the treatment I need?

I'm so angry and frustrated right now.

Valcyte is experimental for ME/CFS. It is not experimental for HHV-6 or CMV infection. If your doctor has diagnosed you with either of those infections, you should pursue this with your insurance company. They have denied you incorrectly. Your doctor should be able to intervene for you.

OTOH, if your doctor prescribed Valcyte for ME/CFS, you're SOL. In that case you could buy from overseas if you can afford it.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Valcyte is experimental for ME/CFS. It is not experimental for HHV-6 or CMV infection. If your doctor has diagnosed you with either of those infections, you should pursue this with your insurance company. They have denied you incorrectly. Your doctor should be able to intervene for you.

OTOH, if your doctor prescribed Valcyte for ME/CFS, you're SOL. In that case you could buy from overseas if you can afford it.

Sometimes it works better if your doc loses the cfs/me diagnosis and just use cmv or hhv6??