• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Video: Microbiome, gut and mind connection, recent medical discoveries

Antares in NYC

Hi everyone,

I recently saw a great segment in a science TV show, and I thought I would find it and share it with the group. It's a great explanation of the recent medical discoveries in regards to the gut and mind connection, how the microbiome and our personal microbiotas are directly related to a number of diseases. Hopefully more research in this field will shed more light on ME/CFS and other difficult afflictions.

Hope you find this useful and informative:

aimossy

sooooo cooool!!!! isn't it ironic that way back in the old days when rudimentary doctors were obsessed with smelling or tasting the kings or queens poo or wee we are coming full circle back. I love it....glad they wont be smelling or tasting though.hahaha!!! its amazing how big this will be eventually and what this research will uncover.brilliant!! thanks for posting!!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
sooooo cooool!!!! isn't it ironic that way back in the old days when rudimentary doctors were obsessed with smelling or tasting the kings or queens poo or wee we are coming full circle back. I love it....glad they wont be smelling or tasting though.hahaha!!! its amazing how big this will be eventually and what this research will uncover.brilliant!! thanks for posting!!

LOL yeah. When I saw some months ago the movie The Last Emperor and the Emperor´s doctor appeared sniffing and looking at his feces I was like "Now that is some advanced medicine, right there"! XD My stools since becoming sick havent been normal or healthy looking. Where did the well formed poops went to? (Yuck, hahah) The parents of autistic kids that are trying to improve or cure them always talk about how the consistency, colour and smell of the stools of their children is a good biomarker for how sick or recovered they are, at least gut-wise.

This is avery complex scenario. I actually drink kefir everyday, but dont notice much. Have tried a bunch of promising probiotics that didnt help. Did you guys knew that a Vit D defficiency (very widespread) makes your gut less habitable for the good microbiota? And that aluminum for example will alter it so much that bad microbes flourish rather than good?

globalpilot

The video is showing as either 'private' if I click it here or 'unavailable' .
Anyone else having a problem viewing ?

globalpilot

That worked. Very interesting.
There was an article in Macleans recently about restoring gut flora. Someone in Guelph, Ontario, Canada has developed a product called repoopulation. I don't know where it is in terms of clinical trials, availability but it sounds like a very viable alternative to fecal transplants.
This was developed at the University of Guelph.

aimossy

the gut is such a complex organ, has over 200,000 nerve endings. ibs has bugger all effective treatment options. any sort of thing going up the pot with it has resounding effects on the whole body.it is a big frontier along with the immune system within which it plays a mass role.im stoked its getting a bit of research buzz attention. hopefully they develop new tools that's shows them things.:lol: