• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Supplements for FM Pain?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just found out that a friend from Junior High was diagnosed with FM. She says she is getting some relief from magnesium but I want to find some other options for her (pain is one thing I don't have a problem with).

I know she would prefer no meds and I don't think her pain is severe enough to warrant that. All I know about is malic acid?

She is a newbie, not adventurous at all, so I am just looking for basics to get her toes wet. Will CoQ10 help? What dose? Just a few basics that she will be comfortable with.

Can anyone give me some options for her and what dose?

Thanks.

Minks

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
These are the ones that I have tried so far that have helped me reduce pain.

Methylcobalamin High Absorption B-12 (Energy)

P-5-P (Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate) Coenzymated Vitamin B-6 (Energy or Glandular Support)

Benfotiamine (Fat-Soluble Vitamin B-1)

ATP (Cell Energy)

Chlorella Growth Factor (Cell Detoxification and Energy)

Beta-Alanine Amino Acid (Lactate Suppression for Muscles)

DMG (Methylation Support)

Reduced Glutathione (Inner Cell Antioxidant)

Selenium (L-Selenomethionine) (Antioxidant)

CoQ10 30 (Helps Mitochondria Function)

MSM (Reduces Muscle Pain)

Pregnenolone (Hormone Support)

Estro8PN Hop Extract (Hormones) (Estrogen)

NADH (Boosts Dopamine and Norepinephrine)

DL-Phenylalanine (Glandular Support)

L-Theanine (Precursor to GABA)

Valerian Root (Standardized) (Nerve Pain and Sedative)

GABA (Calming Neurotransmitter)

Ashwagandha Extract (Turns off Cortisol at Night)

Licorice Root (Helps Adrenal Glands Operate Efficiently)

5-HTP (Serotonin Precursor)

SAMe (Serotonin Precursor)

St. John's Wort (Standardized) (Serotonin)

Dr. Stephen Langer's Ultimate 15 Strain Probiotic with FOS (Digestion)

Swanson Ultra
BioCore Optimum Complete Ultimate Full Spectrum Enzymes (Digestion)

IP-6 Inositol Hexaphosphate (Inisotol)

High Potency DMAE (Precursor to Acetyl Choline)

Boswellia Serrata (Standardized) (NF-Kappa B) (Inflammation-Another very good one)

Cat's Claw Extract (Inflammation, but cytotoxic)

Full-Spectrum Chinese Skullcap with Acacia Catechu (Relaxation and Inflammation at night)

Curcumin Complex (NF-Kappa B) (Best one for Inflammation so far)

Feverfew Extract (Inflammation)

Ginger Root (Standardized) (COX-2) (Inflammation)

Gotu Kola (Standardized) (COX-2) (Inflammation)

Full-Spectrum Myrrh Gum (Inflammation)

Jarrow Formulas Citrus Bergamot (IL-8 Suppression)

Swanson's Fibromyalgia Relief

Gelsemium Semp 30X (Nerve Pain)

Corydalis (Nerve Pain)

Moutan Bark (Nerve Pain and Allodynia)

Pine Bark Extract (Antioxidant)

Sulforaphane from Broccoli (Nerve Antioxidant)

Whoops, forgot these from Pall Supplements

N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine 200 mg
Trimethylglycine 300 mg
Ribonucleic Acid 120 mg
Alpha-Lipoic Acid 100 mg

prioris

Borax? It's toxic. It's used in detergent and as a flame retardant. Is that what you meant?

Borax is no more toxic than table salt. This is how many people with rheumatoid arthritis have been helped. It has worked for me. It helps 70% of people with RA. RA is an infection.

Borax is suppose to also remove the fluoride from the body.

There is a theory by Jason Uttley that the explosion in FMS is the result of fluoride poisoning thru water.

Fibromyalgia is an infection. It has to be treated as such.

I treated my FMS in my mid 40s with minocin (not minocycline) and it started vanishing in first couple days .

I would take the borax route.

I realize when a box says - not for internal use - people become very afraid of it.

you could have some herxheimer reaction from it so just go lighter on it.

i tried it a couple years ago for short time as a preliminary test and got a slight headache but then i tried it a year ago and had no problems.

Borax should be part of your medicine chest. Once you get over any startup problems you won't regret it. You won't fear it anymore.

I can gobble up a teaspoon with no problems.

You just need to get over the psychological fear and not mistake 1/4 teaspoon for 14 teaspoons

The usual dose is 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon but I went directly to 3/8 teaspoon for a load phase. The dose is dependent on your body weight. i am big slim guy. it has a little minor soapy taste. if that bothers you then use more water.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Maybe you and I, who have been sick for years, would try something like this but I can tell you she will not.

She is conservative and uninformed and needs to start out with baby steps.

Minks

prioris

Maybe you and I, who have been sick for years, would try something like this but I can tell you she will not.

She is conservative and uninformed and needs to start out with baby steps.

Minks

i learned many years ago that many sick people won't go out of their preset mental boxes. i give them the information and then it's up to them to act. i always tell them - inform and educate yourself.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
i learned many years ago that many sick people won't go out of their preset mental boxes. i give them the information and then it's up to them to act. i always tell them - inform and educate yourself.

I'm not going to give my friend of over 45 years a list of 40 supplements and say have at it. I told her I would get information for her so she wouldn't get overwhelmed and that's what I am doing.

How would any of us feel if someone dumped a bunch of information on us and said, "Here figure it out yourself".

I feel like I made a huge mistake asking for help here. It shouldn't be this hard.

prioris

Having had FMS for many decades, the most important thing she needs to understand is that it is an infection.
she won't get any help in conventional medicine or from doctors. she will need to change her mental box through the agony or she will twist in the wind. any information you give her - tell her she can peruse it at her own comfort level.

anything that does not address the infection is just a band aid.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
She is not in agony. She has mild to moderate pain. And she is the nicest, kindest, most tolerant person I know and is not in a negative box like you are.

To dump all that negative crap on someone who is newly diagnosed serves no one. There's a lot to be said for a positive attitude. Maybe you're in so much pain because you are so negative.

And I've never ever heard that FM is an infection.

Please stop answering.

Ema

She is not in agony. She has mild to moderate pain. And she is the nicest, kindest, most tolerant person I know and is not in a negative box like you are.

To dump all that negative crap on someone who is newly diagnosed serves no one. There's a lot to be said for a positive attitude. Maybe you're in so much pain because you are so negative.

Please stop answering.
DPA is the best thing I've found for pain. It boosts endorphins. It's available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-D-phenylalanine-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B001TNQKLA

Ema

Fibromyalgia is a syndrome which basically means a cluster of symptoms. They don't know the root cause. It may be infection. It may be hypothyroidism that is undiagnosed or other hormonal imbalance.

I would encourage your friend to continue to look for the root causes while managing her pain. It would be a shame to have it all be solved by something as easy as thyroid medicine if the doctor isn't one of those crap ones reliant only on the TSH.

Ema

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Fibromyalgia is a syndrome which basically means a cluster of symptoms. They don't know the root cause. It may be infection. It may be hypothyroidism that is undiagnosed or other hormonal imbalance.

I would encourage your friend to continue to look for the root causes while managing her pain. It would be a shame to have it all be solved by something as easy as thyroid medicine if the doctor isn't one of those crap ones reliant only on the TSH.

Ema

She just told me yesterday so I'll ease into it with her and other options. I'm not even sure they are sure of the DX.

I just looked at the DPA and one person said she had horrible constipation from it. Did you have that problem?

Minks

Ema

She just told me yesterday so I'll ease into it with her and other options. I'm not even sure they are sure of the DX.

I just looked at the DPA and one person said she had horrible constipation from it. Did you have that problem?

Minks
No, not at all.

Ema

Isn't that what's in nutra-sweet? Is that why drinking diet coke makes me feel better? I'm actually only half kidding here.

I think it is L phenylalanine in aspartame...but I think it must have some activity as well. I feel better too and I doubt it is coincidence.

Ema