• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Constant Adrenaline While Trying to Sleep?

I had an awful experience last week, and I'm wondering if anyone here can shed some light. I'm not sure whether or not it's related to my screwed up physiology.

I was out picking wineberries in the front yard Wednesday when I was stung by yellow jackets 5 or 6 times (awful!!). I'm not sure the exact number because several were clustered on top of my foot and it's now one huge swollen painful mess upon which individual stings cannot be distinguished. I came in and took 50mg diphenhydramine and 500mg acetaminophen, applied a baking soda poultice and ice, and went to bed early, hoping to escape the pain in sleep.

Every time I fell asleep, I had an instant adrenaline rush that woke me up and caused my lower body and sometimes arms and torso to clench and spasm while my heart raced and I shot wide awake. I'm not exaggerating when I say this happened literally hundreds of times over the next few hours. I tried to stay awake so I didn't have to keep going through it, but the benadryl kept pulling me back under. I couldn't stay awake for more than a few seconds. And I couldn't stay asleep for more than a few seconds. It was awful. Forget water torture..do this to me again and I will tell you ANYthing to make it stop.

Finally, around 5AM I was able to sleep for 10-20 minutes at a time.

I would blame the yellow jacket venom if not for the fact that I have experienced this once before. I can't remember exactly what triggered it the first time, though. I think it may have been after learning I'm now allergic to scallops and evacuating every molecule of food from my digestive tract over a period of several hours. If I'm remembering that correctly, it would indicate a relation to histamine release.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? Any advice to stop the cycle if it happens again? I would do most anything to avoid this particularly torturous experience in the future.

PhoenixBurger

I have no input on this other than to offer up some random information that I was researching things like Neuromyotonia and found that even bee stings can cause it in some people. The logic being that their venom affects the central nervous system, and for some susceptible people, they'd developed pretty severe symptoms that were equated with an acute autoimmune reaction. So you may be right on about this.

Thank you for that PhoenixBurger. Something to run by my doc when I see her next, for sure.

perchance dreamer

Moxie, I'd go ahead and make an appt. now, or at least call your doctor. It sounds like you had a pretty bad reaction.

I've read one recommendation that if you are sensitive to stings that you should carry around liquid Benadryl and bite down on one as soon as possible after the sting. I'm sure it tastes foul, but it would probably get into your system sooner than the tablet. It's something to ask your doctor about, anyway. You might also ask for a prescription for an EpiPen.

The good news is that you didn't go into shock. Reactions to stings can be so serious.

A zombie

i get this every night. My body twitches , but it's sort of like an adreanline jolt. I will be in bed and feel sleepy, start to drift off, my body will start twitching and then i'm wide awake.

Every night? Oh man, how are you still sane? I'm so sorry. Does it feel like you're going to float right off the bed when you get zapped?

A zombie

EVERY night. no , it doens't feel like that, just a fast jolt/zap is the only way to describe it. I just took a nap ( i have a 1 year old) and i was able to sleep. I don't understand why i can NAP and no twitches but i can't sleep at night....

A zombie

Every night? Oh man, how are you still sane? I'm so sorry. Does it feel like you're going to float right off the bed when you get zapped?
i'm going through this real bad again… i think i mis read your question… but yes, that is exactly what it is, right as i'm ready to drift off i get zapped.

Aerose91

EVERY night. no , it doens't feel like that, just a fast jolt/zap is the only way to describe it. I just took a nap ( i have a 1 year old) and i was able to sleep. I don't understand why i can NAP and no twitches but i can't sleep at night....

I, too have this every single night. Every.single.night. the adrenaline hits me differently on different days, some days as soon as i fall asleep ill shoot up with intense anxiety, some days i feel like im going to crawl out of my skin and some days night sweats and hot flashes.

Either way i average 1-3 hours of sleep a night and have for years. I regularly go psychotic due to my brain hypoperfusion from M.E. combined with the sleep deprivation. Also the less i sleep the higher the adrenaline and anxiety get so it only gets harder and harder.

I cant take benzos because i took ativan for 10 days 2 years ago to counter thyroid medication and im still in severe withdrawal. Damaged my GABA receptors bad. The immeasurable amount of stress i had over that time is what set off my M.E. as well. fun.