• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

help with my 23andme results

I just got my snps and here they are.

homo for
vdr bsm
mao-a r297r
cbs a360a

hetero
comt v158m
comt h62h
mthfr c677t
mttr a66g
bhmt-02, -04, -08
shmt1 c1420t

Yes, I got some pretty good info there. I wasn't too sure about the shmt one or being hetero for all the bhmt would cause problems. It does seem to make sense a lot of my problems I have had most of my life. It said when a +\+ Mao mutation is combined with a +\+ or +\- comt v158m mutation one may be prone to develop OCD, mood swings, aggressive and or violent behavior, plus personality disorders. I always wondered why some things would make me so mad. I also have struggled with mood swings.

caledonia

I just got my snps and here they are.

homo for
vdr bsm
mao-a r297r
cbs a360a

hetero
comt v158m
comt h62h
mthfr c677t
mttr a66g
bhmt-02, -04, -08
shmt1 c1420t

You have a couple of First Priority mutations, which are SHMT and CBS. For SHMT take folinic acid. This is also one of the "leaky gut genes", so if you have symptoms of leaky gut such as multiple food intolerances or when you're on methylation supplements you start experiencing a high need for magnesium and/or potassium, you should stop and treat for leaky gut with a 4R gut rebuilding program. Yasko suggests taking the SHMT supplement while treating leaky gut for the most effective treatment.

The CBS you have is the minor one, so that generally doesn't seem to need treatment, but you're homo for it and you also have all the BHMTs which can add to CBS. So you should see if CBS is expressed. Do testing to see if your ammonia and sulfur are high. The sulfur should be consistently high over several days, not go up and down.

If CBS is expressed, then you'll need to treat for that first. Another way you can tell if CBS is expressed is if you start methyl supplements and you start experiencing a stress/anxiety reaction. There are some dietary restrictions and supplements for CBS. Heartfixer has a good program that I've used successfully, except I used the Free Thiol diet and didn't do Yasko's RNAs, and it still worked.

Then with the prior issues resolved you can move onto MTHFR. Take some methylfolate for that. You only have one B12 SNP which is MTRR, so supplementation may not be needed or if it is, may only need to be minimal.

For your COMT/VDR mutations, Yasko suggests hydroxycobalamin and adenosylcobalamin and NOT methylcobalamin. So if you do decide to supplement with B12, stick with those.

For the BHMTs take TMG. This is the secondary methylation pathway which backs up the primary one. With MTHFR and BHMT mutations you can see that your methylation is blocked on both pathways and this is what causes you problems.

VDR Bsm is Vitamin D Receptor, so check your vit. D levels and supplement for that if necessary.

For MAO-A Yasko suggests some 5htp, but to wait until all the other SNPs are resolved. If you're on an SSRI, 5htp is contraindicated. If you decide to taper off your SSRI, you'll need to be very cautious. Only reduce 10% of the previous dose every 3-6 weeks. See the Paxil Progress forum for more info.

I have links to all of the stuff I mentioned and more in my signature. Do your research before diving in.

Also keep some slow release nicotinic acid niacin on hand in case of adverse effects. Taking 50-100mg will soak up methyl groups and stop methylation (and make you feel a lot better quickly).

Thanks so much for your help. I was checking sulfates in my urine and was getting 1200 consistly and then found I had a uti and I have been out of town and havnt checked them recently. I did have my doctor run a blood ammonia test and it came back less than 10 with normal being 11-32 not sure about why it would be low. I have had low b12 from gastritis and have taken b12 mainly methyl b12 and not had an issue but maybe I will try the hydrox b12 and see if there is a difference. My vit d is good was tested about 4 years ago and it was 23. I will also get Tmg is that the same as betadine? I had some betadine hcl with pepsin I take with my meals sometimes, I haven't been the last few months though.