• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird Symptom

taniaaust1

This one is so weird that I wasnt going to post about it and its taken me an hour to decide to do so (if I think its really weird, who knows what any medical people here would think about this).

It's to do with the blue veins SUDDENLY being prominent in my hands, fingers and wrists (I dont know if it also was affecting other veins of my body to, I think my arms veins were affected too (I forget even thou this just happened an hour ago). Just as suddenly as it occurs, after a very short time, it can just as suddenly go away. Ive just had it happen to me again (they only were very prominent for about 5-10mins, I was going to take photos and now wish I had but I wasnt expecting it to disappear again so quick) and Ive had it happen to me once before maybe a year ago. (If it happens again, Im going to get while happening and after happening photos).

I cant remember the circumstances in which it happened with last time but this time Im quite sick with virally ME symptoms (hoping they arent about to go into pneumonia, they feel worst then when I was in hospital on a drip for double pneumonia last time) and had woken up due to breathing issues (the symptoms currently affecting my chest and my asthma puffer isnt helping this).

Anyway. has anyone else here had this weird veiny thing go on in which their veins SUDDENLY go standing out? Ive just started trying to research this symptom to see what I could find and saw its spoken about on a FM thread http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Fibromyalgia/Highly-noticable-veins/show/788408 (and someone there mentions that heart muscle weakness can cause heart vein bulging issues... maybe during these bouts my heart has stopped working well but then its coming good and hence the situation then suddenly goes again??). Anyway, i hope it doesnt happen again, seeing that occur and not knowing why is kind of scary.

This symptom is so weird that Im scared of telling a doctor about it (and I havent gone to doctor over my breathing issues currently as I dont have one locally and I know from my dr experiences that I just cant go to any of them without a recommendation that they are good for a ME person. If my breathing gets worst and Im going to pass out due to it, I'll just ring an ambulance (its just affecting my ability to talk at times, I was on phone before having some trouble speaking due to it, couldnt talk normally).

If I die in my sleep or something, I hope people here wont forget me (my current viral reactivation thing going on right now is due to the stupid conditions that DisabilitySA has put on my support contract, which Helene told me verbally.. which caused me to over do it as I cant be in bed while support workers are here so prevented me from doing the pacing I knew I needed to not get sicker). If anything happens to me, I want to make sure its out there what happened and why Im sicker.

anyway, heading back to bed now, I just wanted to post about this weird symptom in case something happens.

taniaaust1

I just had a new thought, maybe it isnt to do with the viral reactivation but could be related to my OI in some way?. I'd just woken up and had just got out of bed and then had noticed this. (so postural change, laying to standing could of caused it??). Im grasping at straws trying to work it out (it hasnt happened again).

Also started wondering if it could be some weird unknown form of vasculitis. (I also just read that vasculitis can cause coughing if lungs being affected.. also can cause asthma. I often get asthma wih the reactivating viral thing).

Im still sick with this reactivating unknown PENE triggered virus today, been up since 1am due to the sore throat and coughing, Im now coughing up a lot more crap. So its 6 days now Ive had this, still got 38 Celicus fever happening at night with it (was running an actual fever again a few hours ago). Due to Fathers Day, my sister came and got me and took me to lunch with rest of the family but due to my coughing she stopped at a chemist and brought me a face mask she made me wear (thou I had been coughing out the window of her car and we put all the windows down so viral particles from coughing wouldnt be throu car).

rosie26

Hi Tania
Not sure what is happening with the veins in your hands. I noticed about 5 years ago one summer I had quite prominent veins on my wrist and hands. I had lost a bit of weight and my ME had deteriorated down a peg or two. I put it down to the heat and immune system deteriorating, playing up more. ? Just unwellness all over. I haven't had the vein problem noticeable again, but it was very noticeable at the time. Hope you pick up soon. x

xchocoholic

Hugs. Sorry to hear that you're feeling so puny. I hope you're feeling better by now. Fwiw,
homemade chicken soup seems to help me the most when I'm feeling sick.

I've had the vein problem you're talking about. I can't remember right now why this happened
tho. My parasite treatment has numbed my brain. My best guess would be too much of a certain food
or chemical tho since I over react to so many. Raw garlic maybe ? Salt overload ?

If there's a medical term for this you might find better answers. Again, I apologize for my brain fog here.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Tc ... X

taniaaust1

Hugs. Sorry to hear that you're feeling so puny. I hope you're feeling better by now. Fwiw,
homemade chicken soup seems to help me the most when I'm feeling sick.

I've had the vein problem you're talking about. I can't remember right now why this happened
tho. My parasite treatment has numbed my brain. My best guess would be too much of a certain food
or chemical tho since I over react to so many. Raw garlic maybe ? Salt overload ?

If there's a medical term for this you might find better answers. Again, I apologize for my brain fog here.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Tc ... X

Someone has since suggested to me that maybe I was dehydrated (which could of been correct seeing I'd just woken up thou I do drink many times during the night). But then if one was dehydrated wouldnt that make veins show less??

I cant even find any medical mentionings of this issue let alone find a medical name for it. There are medical things which can cause veins to stand out but I couldnt find mentioning of this happening suddenly and then going just as suddenly. Thou Vascuilitis (inflammation of veins) I read can happen acutely (maybe that can make veins stand out?). Strange kind of vasculitis? Vasculitis has been mentioned of occuring in ME in at least one of the ME outbreaks.

PennyIA

I know that I've had times where the veins in my hands become unbelievably prominent - it does tend to happen pretty consistently when I am both slightly dehydrated AND when I've had my hands lowered at my sides. If I bring them up to chest height and/or drink water, they will improve. I assume it's related to the fact that I already had mild circulation issues that get worse if I'm dehydrated. I started noticing it long before I felt that I was chronically ill (although looking back, I was never super energetic, ever AND I was often over-tired, over-stressed single, working mother - but back then it all seemed so 'explainable').