• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating CBS Mutation

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I got my 23andMe results and I have CBS C699T and CBS A360A mutation.

From what I've read, I need to address this before I start methylation.

The information says to take high doses L-Ornithine. So how high is high. It also recommends Yucca root.

Can someone advise me on how to deal with this?

I have an appt Sept 19 with my regular doc so I'm going to have her do a UAA, then in October I'm going to see a doctor who does Yasko's protocol. I'd like to get going on this before that since it appears it takes months to fix CBS mutation.

Thanks

Minks

Please when you respond only type 2 sentences in a row. Any more than that and i can't read it.

Thanks very much

Critterina

Hi Minks,

I would recommend you consider getting sulfite and sulfate urine test strips to see whether your mutations are causing a sulfur problem and to track your progress treating it. It will cost about $70 on Amazon.com

I think the most important step is a low sulfur or low thiol diet. I only did it for a week, but that was enough to get my test strips registering in the 200-400 range for sulfates. It turned out my sulfites weren't low.

The theory that the CBS mutation causes a 10x upregulation comes from a misreading of the research. It may not be as bad as you think.

Still, some people do have sulfur problems, and it's good to know if you do or don't. I don't know why anyone would treat CBS if they don't have sulfur problems...but that could be my ignorance. Oh, I guess maybe it would be for ammonia.

To find Yucca and ornithine recommendations for treating CBS, there is the Heartfixer website: http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#CBS:  Cystathionine Beta Synthase.

I successfully used the recommendations under "Energy Production will falter", even though I didn't have sulfur or ammonia problems. So I didn't use the yucca, and I didn't use the ornithine because my ornithine was already too high.

Best of luck to you!

I got my 23andMe results and I have CBS C699T and CBS A360A mutation.
The A360A has no impact on gene function, and the Yasko interpretation of C699T is baseless and completely wrong. If you have +/+ on C699T then you have the safer version - that SNP is not capable of causing the problems which Yasko attributes to it.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Valentijn,

So are you saying I don't have to worry about these two CBS SNP's? (I see you have the same ones?) That would be great!

If not Critterina, I'll be back to ask questions. I can't even look at Heartfixer. Everything in my brain fires, my eyes glaze over and I'm done with.

That's why it's so great to have people here who understand this. I can read something 20 times and I still won't get it.

Minks

So are you saying I don't have to worry about these two CBS SNP's? (I see you have the same ones?) That would be great!
Yup, they're nothing to worry about. One has zero research indicating that it has any impact, and the research into the other one shows that you have the more beneficial version.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Yup, they're nothing to worry about. One has zero research indicating that it has any impact, and the research into the other one shows that you have the more beneficial version.

Yeah! Who thought there would be good news with genetic mutations.

I am going to a Naturopath in October who uses Yasko's protocol or something similar. Then I can get on with the other mutations.

I have 1 homozygous and 11 heterozygous.

Thanks again Valentijn. Minks

Critterina

Valentijn, I believe you read the research correctly and that's what it shows - I'm not disputing you. I still hear of people on this site who have sulfur issues. I don't know what these people have in common. It may have nothing to do with CBS mutations. When I bought my sulfur test strips, I was under mistaken impressions from the Heartfixer site, but I'm still glad I did because the question is answered for me.

Valentijn, I believe you read the research correctly and that's what it shows - I'm not disputing you. I still hear of people on this site who have sulfur issues. I don't know what these people have in common. It may have nothing to do with CBS mutations. When I bought my sulfur test strips, I was under mistaken impressions from the Heartfixer site, but I'm still glad I did because the question is answered for me.
Yeah, I don't disagree that sulfur can be a problem - but the CBS gene is very unlikely to be the source of the problem, and certainly not the Yasko CBS SNPs. So the results from that certainly shouldn't be the deciding factor in determining whether or not someone has sulfur problems :D

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.

I think to be safe I can test the sulfur when I have the cash to buy the strips. Since I'm going to be seeing a Naturopath I'll get her take on things.

Minks

Critterina

Yeah, I don't disagree that sulfur can be a problem - but the CBS gene is very unlikely to be the source of the problem, and certainly not the Yasko CBS SNPs. So the results from that certainly shouldn't be the deciding factor in determining whether or not someone has sulfur problems :D
I was wondering about whether I had SUOX problems, really. I got the "no flush" gene for wine, but I certainly do flush, and I had suspected the sulfur in the ALA was bothering my liver area, and then I started bloating when I was told to add methioine and huge doses of NAC. Fast forward a few months, the gastroenterologist thinks the liver area problem is scar contracture and adhesions from gall bladder surgery. The NAC is certainly not my friend - at least at those doses - it explains why my amino acids got thrown into a tizzy. Still, I like knowing that the sulfur numbers don't support a slow-down of the SUOX operation. Wish 23andMe would have tested that one!

So, what do you think causes people sulfur problems?

Critterina

I think to be safe I can test the sulfur when I have the cash to buy the strips. Since I'm going to be seeing a Naturopath I'll get her take on things.

Minks
Maybe the naturopath will have test strips...you can always hope. I now own almost 100 of each, and I don't really need them.

Critterina

It's the gene that makes the enzyme that converts sulfites (pretty toxic) to sulfates (less toxic). Look at the top diagram here: http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm. It's in the lower right corner, in a box.

My sulfite numbers were low, so I know that I was converting them to sulfates OK. I still did a low-sulfur diet for a week. I'm not sure if it was that, or getting rid of the high doses of NAC I was taking, or that I started adding folinic acid, but all in all, I'm glad I did it and felt much better for it (or at least the combination.)

The only thing I really don't like about that diagram is that SHMT isn't on it. It goes in the upper left quadrant of cycle 3, between THF and MTHFR.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
t
It's the gene that makes the enzyme that converts sulfites (pretty toxic) to sulfates (less toxic). Look at the top diagram here: http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm. It's in the lower right corner, in a box.

Thanks for the link but I can't even look at Heartfixer. Everything in my brain fires then my eyes glaze over and my brain shuts off. It's just too much for my brain. And I wouldn't understand anyway.

Thankfully I have people like you who can explain.

Thanks

Critterina

t

Thanks for the link but I can't even look at Heartfixer. Everything in my brain fires then my eyes glaze over and my brain shuts off. It's just too much for my brain. And I wouldn't understand anyway.

Thankfully I have people like you who can explain.

Thanks
OK, so you know that CBS is what changes homocysteine into cystathione.

Then cystathione gets broken down into cysteine and alpha-ketoglutarate. That gets broken down further into taurine, sulfite, and glutathione.

Sulfite is converted by SUOX to sulfate, making it less toxic. Ta Da! Now you know as much as I can see on the picture.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
OK, so you know that CBS is what changes homocysteine into cystathione.

Then cystathione gets broken down into cysteine and alpha-ketoglutarate. That gets broken down further into taurine, sulfite, and glutathione.

Sulfite is converted by SUOX to sulfate, making it less toxic. Ta Da! Now you know as much as I can see on the picture.

Thanks for dumbing it down for me. May not be dumb enough but I'll work on it. And no I did not know that about CBS. I'm telling you, I look at this stuff and it just doesn't compute.

On the plus side, I'm only 2.8% Neanderthal!

Minks

Critterina

I'm less Neanderthal than you, so you got me beat no?
:rofl: @Minks, if it's good you're only 2.8% neanderthal, then... wouldn't 2.9% be less good? :D I'm not really sure about the competition we're competing in...:rofl:

BTW, my favorite way to treat anything is with laughter, if you can manage it. Laugh for no reason. Laugh for exercise. Laugh because you decide to laugh. And fake it til you make it - your body gets the benefits whether it's genuine or not. Only one rule: no new pain. (Search laughter yoga on youtube. I tried a link to video v=b6xpPUfFXyE, but it inserted the video - not what I wanted.)