• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Professor Warren Tate's new CFS research - NZ Uni of Otago

ukxmrv

There was a talk in New Zealand recently by Prof Warren Tate who is planning new research into CFS. He has a daughter with the disease and tried once to get research rolling, it stalled, then XMRV gave him a way in to start again. Prof Tate is working with Dr Ros Vallings, a GP with an interest in CFS and ME in Auckland.

(I'm saying CFS here as I have no idea what criteria they will use - have no idea if ME patients will be included. He mentions Dr Ros Vallings and an international criteria she helped developed so I need to look up which one that is)

The start of the talk is about his daughter who has been ill for 20+ years. The research part which starts around minute 36.

http://www.otago.ac.nz/prodcons/groups/public/@otagopodcast/documents/audio_video/otago052726.mp4

Prof Tate is trying to "develop a simple blood test biomarkers and to understand how a virus would switch the immune system into it's current state" "we want to discern the molecular pathways effected by this illness"

"to do this we are developing particular tools that are going to be useful and also have started a clinical trial of 10 patients plus matched control in Dunedin, we have started recruiting for that now"

then extend to

"40 patients of Dr Ros Vallings in Auckland very carefully diagnosed patients and developed international clinical criteria, had had 5000 patients alone in her practice "

"for the diagnostic blood test we want to focus on 2 proteins, part of the innate or antiviral immune system, we know if we get a cold, a small tags is put on these proteins (phosphate molecules) and come off in a few days, but in ME/CFS we think that these tags stay on all the time and we want to quantify these, convert test to Elisa test and hope that GP's can order the test for people who come with chronic fatigue..."

"I was inspired in 2012 of a paper by a Standford Geneticst, cost 2 million dollars, by followed molecular pathways, simple cold molecular pathways changing and then changing back and he got another infection an upper respiratory virus, with this what he was able to show that there were major changes to the molecules in his body, over 2000 genes got more active and 2000 less active"

"this sort of analysis is exactly what we need to do for ME/CFS to get the global effect, do a molecular pathways analysis to work out what pathways are being effected"

"can we work out what genes are effected, and what molecular pathways"

"diagnostic markers and some potential therapeutic "

Gemini

"I was inspired in 2012 of a paper by a Standford Geneticst, cost 2 million dollars, by followed molecular pathways, simple cold molecular pathways changing and then changing back and he got another infection an upper respiratory virus, with this what he was able to show that there were major changes to the molecules in his body, over 2000 genes got more active and 2000 less active"

"this sort of analysis is exactly what we need to do for ME/CFS to get the global effect, do a molecular pathways analysis to work out what pathways are being effected

Prof. Tate's plan is cutting-edge! His findings should be most interesting!

Paper that inspired him sounds like Dr. Michael Snyder's landmark self-experiment; his immune system's interaction & response to infections was monitored at the molecular level over a 14-month period during which time he encountered two of them.

aimossy

ANZMES The Associated New Zealand ME society has a Tate research summary up under the research section on their web homepage now.:):thumbsup:

alex3619

I am really chuffed this is in my home town.

Hi aimossy, I presented a poster at an IEEE engineering conference in Dunedin in 1993 I think. Many might not appreciate this is a university town. The university is its hub (or was back then), and its full of researchers, academics and students. I was only there briefly, but I have fond memories of Dunedin. Alex.

ukxmrv

I'm hoping that some of the original Tapanui flu survivors can be added to this cohort for the test. Be interesting to see how they compare to more recent CFS patients

aimossy

only know that the patients come from Dr Vallings, heard its going well.
im sure they will be carefully selected. Dr Vallings was at the royal free hosp when there was an outbreak there too.

aimossy

Alex is so right it is a great town down here with a very strong University and Med School. Nice to hear he has fond memories.:)