• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results

COMT V158M ++
COMT H62H ++
VDR Taq ++
MAO-A R297R ++
CBS C699T ++

MTHR X677T +-
MTR A2756G +-
BHMT-08 +-
SHMT1 C1420T +-

Any comments would be much appreciated.

COMT V158M ++
COMT H62H ++
VDR Taq ++
MAO-A R297R ++
CBS C699T ++

MTHR X677T +-
MTR A2756G +-
BHMT-08 +-
SHMT1 C1420T +-
I've crossed out the ones which Yasko and geneticgenie report backwards - you have the safer version of those.

MTHFR C677T can mean methylfolate production is reduced to 65% of normal. SHMT1 can make this somewhat worse. Hence methylfolate supplementation is probably needed.

MTRR A2756G might benefit from B12 supplementation, but I doubt much is needed since your other MTR and MTRR SNPs are normal. You might be fine with what's in a normal multivitamine or B complex, but the active forms are probably better.

BHMT might result in homocysteine getting a bit elevated. Taking care of B12 and methyfolate could help with that, if that is the case.

COMT and MAOA suggest you might be slow in using up methyl groups, hence high doses of supplements with methyl groups might be unpleasant. This probably won't be a problem if you stay with a normal multivitamin or B-complex, but if you want to try high doses of B12, hydroxoB12 would be a safer form than methylB12.

Summary:
Methylfolate and B12 supplementation are indicated, but staying within "normal" doses might be sufficient. The hydroxocobalamin form of B12 is probably safer if you want to try higher doses of that.

I've been taking one/day of Douglas B-Complex with Metafolin and Intrinsic Factor. It has:

Thiamine HCL 50mg
Riboflavin-5-Phosphate 20mg
Niacinamide 50mg
P-5-P 20mg
Metafolin 400mcg
Methyl B12 500mcg
Biotin 300mcg
Pantethine 50mg
Intrinsic Factor 20mg

I could get some hydroxo but I have dibencozide on hand that I haven't taken yet.

I'm also supplementing with fish oil, GLA, D3, Ethyl C and carnitine fumarate in the AM. Sometimes with DLPA and/or 60mg Lithium orotate.

Magnesium citrate, ionic zinc and 1.5mg melatonin and bedtime.

I've had issues with low dopamine- does that seem to be indicated from my SNPs? Considering going on Selegiline.

I was diagnosed with dyspraxia in kindergarten and tested exceptionally gifted IQ. As an adult this seems to manifest as some kind of inattentive ADHD which I've partially compensated for with my giftedness. I wasn't told about the dyspraxia/IQ until a couple of years ago (I'm 51), so I'm still wrapping my mind around this stuff and trying to figure out how I can help myself.

Very sensitive to casein, gluten and nightshades.

Just realized I also have gs224 associated with possible BH4 deficiency which affects dopamine, serotonin, melatonin and thyroxine.

I'm wondering if I should bump up my melatonin supplementation?