• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overlap between CFS and Depression?

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
There is definitely something about EBV that makes it seem like a trigger, it shows up in something like 30-40% of cases, that's still indicative of something in my opinion...

heapsreal
If a patient no longer tests positive to EBV, then it can hardly be called Chronic EBV Syndrome...

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Snow Leopasupposedlyst: 379683 said:
There is definitely something about EBV that makes it seem like a trigger, it shows up in something like 30-40% of cases, that's still indicative of something in my opinion...

heapsreal
If a patient no longer tests positive to EBV, then it can hardly be called Chronic EBV Syndrome...
It was a case of supposedly having igg life long antibodies that disappeared which points to a possible problem with b cells not making antibodies anymore. Once u have the antibodies your suppose to have them for life to protect you from further infectionsbut somewhere something goes wrong.

overtrain

Medical Mafia needs to die via this virus.
right, I'm saying it occurs. just that there are lots of infections (not only one).
However, I wouldn't rule out 1 particular virus merely because other extant sequelae are in the picture for someone. Why? What my body does w EBV may not match another body's reaction. My genes are totally different from the next person's. Countless times I have read my same account: Fine, just fine one day, the next catch a minor bug that graduates to full on EBV HELL. Those 3 letters, unless I'm being, oh, I don't know, abducted by aliens & beamed up thru my roof nightly for disastrous medical experimentation to further knowledge on Star System Planet Reticula, I'm leaning toward this EBV thing.

Tests? I don't trust their specificity, esp. where EBV is concerned. But that's another topic. I live in my body. I know what's what.

overtrain

Medical Mafia needs to die via this virus.

heapsreal
No doubt. I was just fine tlll those three letters. Never had Mono in my life, then to get it at 49? Wow, just, wow. There is a small percentage of ppl who have no Epstein in their bodies & I may have been one. Always super healthy, scarily healthy, could go years without even a minor cold. Something broke. And I've read countless times people post "EBV", how they were good until that blanking EBV.

Thanks for posting.

Moderator Note: Posts have been split from the thread 'Simon Wessely wins prize for'Standing Up for Science'

Well, I was not depressed until I got ME/CFS, now I get very depressed when I am crashing and this has been the case for 20 years. I believe it is from a change in brain chemistry when a crash begins. Of course many in the psychiatric profession would see this as the other way around and that I must have been depressed before getting sick. Luckily here in the US my wife has an enlightened psychiatrist who not only believes that ME/CFS is a physiological disease but also thinks that this is what most of his colleague believe as well.

xks201

I'm gonna say this until I'm blue in the face guys. CFS/ME does not have one individual cause. Every symptom of CFS or ME or whatever you fancy calling it can be nearly identical for multiple causes. For example, panhypopituitarism can cause CFS and be virtually identical to the symptoms of say a bacterial infection causing CFS. That is a simplified example but you get what I am saying hopefully. So when we try and pidgeonhole a set of symptoms into a disease or diagnosis we wind up not curing anything because there is not one single cure for every case of a set of identical symptoms.

That is the idea that is driving the confusion...that just because a set of symptoms is identical means that the cause of the symptoms is the same. And that's ridiculous.