• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mobility Scooter!

We went for a long walk/ride today, since we don't do the church thing, and the weather was nice. After meandering around the park for a while, we went around the lake to check out the swan nest we saw during our last outing. And this time we were able to take photos :D

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

Basically the nest is about 10 feet from a walkway. They get wary when anyone stops too close, but otherwise are pretty unconcerned. They were pulling swan feathers out of the nest and leaving them nearby, where a little water hen would come grab them for her nest :p They have their own tiny pond on that edge of the lake, fenced in by the walkway, and then the open lake a bit behind the nest.

They've been sitting on something for a while, so they'll probably have cute little baby swans paddling around very soon!

Misfit Toy

So nice. I love swans. So glad you got out on such a nice day. It was a gorgeous day here, too. No church here, but Cadbury eggs and ham and not in that order! Gluten free food and fabulousness in the city. Very nice!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I very nearly bought a mobility scooter 4 years ago, but bought one of these instead. I was worried I wouldn't be able to ride it, but it transformed my life.

b875bd81-2010-4a46-afed-58ec79858eed_1000_Category.jpg

I would need an extra wheel for balance. I had been considering one of these, but by the time I can afford it I will of course be cured! :D

SOC

Wow. I'm jealous of you peddlers. :) That much exercise would seriously PEM me. I'm with @Valentijn in needing the motorized transport. I've rented a power chair on a couple of special occasions and LOVED the freedom. I like them much better than the scooter because they're smaller and more maneuverable and because I don't have to lean forward or stretch my arms out to steer. The joystick control doesn't tire my arms and back.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to make a scooter/power chair effective in my life. I don't need it around the house and couldn't get it down my house stairs or in and out of my car for trips away from home. Eventually, I will get enough better not to need one, or I will move to a more accessible environment. I'm hoping for the former. ;)

MeSci

View attachment 7178 This is the way I roll.

I had to accept that I would no longer be able to ride my standard pushbike for the foreseeable future a long time ago, and gave it away. Even on a good day when I might be able to, the adverse after-effects wouldn't be worth it. Just balancing on a two-wheeler would send me into anaerobic metabolism very quickly - if I could do it!

Yet I put my activity level at 6 and yours is 3?

:confused:

peggy-sue

I had a deprived childhood. I can't ride a bike.
Learning to, was on my bucket list.
When M's not clambering up vertical rock faces or trampling over the hills, he's cycling around the countryside.

It was just another something we had planned on doing together in our later years.:(

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ema

I feel sad to have to tell you that Cricket wrote to me, she's had a lot of time to reflect during her enforced period of rest. You know she's not getting any younger and well, she's decided she'd like to see a bit of the world whilst she's fit enough to do so. Much as she loves you she would really look forward to staying in the UK with me. 3 oldies chilling together (Mischa too) shooting the breeze, with lots of little bits of fun and silliness thrown in, and no irritating little or big sh&ts around to spoil it. She suggested that I package up mr maryb (she's a clever one following this thread) and send him over to you for a fairer swop, I told her he needs feeding at regular intervals or he gets REALLY grumpy but she says you'll have to cope, she didn't sound very bothered to be honest. She says what with Ivey as well as him you won't have time to miss her.
I can send you a copy of the letter if you don't believe me - I'm sure 23and me won't mind doing a DNA test on the paw print.
Lets speak and make arrangements soon.

ps I haven't told mr mary b yet so lets keep this our little secret for now.

MeSci

I had a deprived childhood. I can't ride a bike.
Learning to, was on my bucket list.
When M's not clambering up vertical rock faces or trampling over the hills, he's cycling around the countryside.

It was just another something we had planned on doing together in our later years.:(

I'd love to be able to ride a bike again. It was with great regret that I gave my bike away, but I really should never have got it. I was already becoming ill with ME when I got that one, and had been pushing myself really hard riding it - trying to get fit! :eek: If only I had known then what I know now...

Don't give up. Just get well first! :)