• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mobility scooter advice?

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Hi everyone,

Recently, I rented a mobility scooter and it changed my outlook on living with this disease. My family has offered to buy one for me. The one we rented, however, left me in a lot of pain -like I'd spent the day on a roller coaster. My spine and head were very jarred (I'm housebound and I don't drive and don't walk very much, so my body wasn't used to the motion).

Can anyone recommend a good mobility scooter (preferably one with as much suspension as possible that can be disassembled to fit in a small car)?

Thank you!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi everyone,

Recently, I rented a mobility scooter and it changed my outlook on living with this disease. My family has offered to buy one for me. The one we rented, however, left me in a lot of pain -like I'd spent the day on a roller coaster. My spine and head were very jarred (I'm housebound and I don't drive and don't walk very much, so my body wasn't used to the motion).

Can anyone recommend a good mobility scooter (preferably one with as much suspension as possible that can be disassembled to fit in a small car)?

Thank you!

Have a look here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/mobility-scooter.17545/

Hi everyone,

A couple things that are helpful: 4 wheels is much stabler than 3 (though a little bigger for a car and can't corner as well), and all inflatable tires instead of hard rubber ones. Your seat also looks like it's not a very good one - the standard ones these days seem to be very cushioned, albeit heavier for loading into a car.

It can also help to slump into your seat, since maintaining "proper" posture takes a lot of muscle use. I also have my steering bar set low enough that it's basically in my lap, so that my arms are resting on my legs instead having to hold them up to drive.

Pride Hurricane has partial suspension and Pride Maxima and Pride Pursuit have full suspension, but also have very heavy parts. I'm sure there's other scooters with suspension, but they're generally going to be bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

PS - where did you rent the scooter from? My mom was looking for one for me to rent when I visit Seattle in a few weeks, but the only place she could find was pretty expensive.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
A couple things that are helpful: 4 wheels is much stabler than 3 (though a little bigger for a car and can't corner as well), and all inflatable tires instead of hard rubber ones. Your seat also looks like it's not a very good one - the standard ones these days seem to be very cushioned, albeit heavier for loading into a car.

It can also help to slump into your seat, since maintaining "proper" posture takes a lot of muscle use. I also have my steering bar set low enough that it's basically in my lap, so that my arms are resting on my legs instead having to hold them up to drive.

Pride Hurricane has partial suspension and Pride Maxima and Pride Pursuit have full suspension, but also have very heavy parts. I'm sure there's other scooters with suspension, but they're generally going to be bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

PS - where did you rent the scooter from? My mom was looking for one for me to rent when I visit Seattle in a few weeks, but the only place she could find was pretty expensive.

This is wonderful advice, thank you! I think I am definitely looking for a 4-wheeler with pneumatic tires... I think. But then I'll want a car that I can drive the thing into so my husband isn't constantly assembling/disassembling.

I appreciate your year update on the other conversation. I never thought about being able to drive on sand ~ you made my new goal to go to the Oregon coast with a scooter and my dogs so we can drive/run on the beach!

One question: are you happy you got a 4-wheeler? You don't regret the heaviness or cumbersomeness?

We rented it from Access Medical Equipment on Aurora and 76th/77th. They're a small store, my husband said he only saw the one type of scooter (a Go Go, I think, I'll post a pic). It was $150+tax for the week and I think they do daily rentals.

Attachments

• IMG_20130806_140241.jpg
    IMG_20130806_140241.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
One question: are you happy you got a 4-wheeler? You don't regret the heaviness or cumbersomeness?
Nah, I love the 4 wheeler. If getting around tiny shops was a big concern for me, I'd probably prefer a 3-wheeler ... but with a 4 wheeler, I can handle rough terrain much more easily. My mother-in-law and I got stopped by an elderly man on a 3-wheeler a few days ago, and apparently even on sidewalks and such he had trouble with the unsteadiness and wanted a 4-wheeler like mine :D
We rented it from Access Medical Equipment on Aurora and 76th/77th. They're a small store, my husband said he only saw the one type of scooter (a Go Go, I think, I'll post a pic). It was $150+tax for the week and I think they do daily rentals.
Thanks for the info - I think that might be the same place we got a transport chair from last time I visited - it was definitely on Aurora anyhow. Somewhat long but skinny old shop? I'll let my mom know about if transporting my scooter on the airplane won't work. Maybe I'll get a transport chair for the weeks while my fiance is there to push me around, then get a scooter for the weeks after he goes back so parents don't have to push me :p

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Nah, I love the 4 wheeler. If getting around tiny shops was a big concern for me, I'd probably prefer a 3-wheeler ... but with a 4 wheeler, I can handle rough terrain much more easily. My mother-in-law and I got stopped by an elderly man on a 3-wheeler a few days ago, and apparently even on sidewalks and such he had trouble with the unsteadiness and wanted a 4-wheeler like mine :D

Thanks for the info - I think that might be the same place we got a transport chair from last time I visited - it was definitely on Aurora anyhow. Somewhat long but skinny old shop? I'll let my mom know about if transporting my scooter on the airplane won't work. Maybe I'll get a transport chair for the weeks while my fiance is there to push me around, then get a scooter for the weeks after he goes back so parents don't have to push me :p

My husband found a wheelchair being offered up for free on the side of the road. It folds up, but he cautions that it is heavy and a bit unwieldy. Anyway, if you like, you could borrow it while you are here ~ I don't leave the house.

My husband found a wheelchair being offered up for free on the side of the road. It folds up, but he cautions that it is heavy and a bit unwieldy. Anyway, if you like, you could borrow it while you are here ~ I don't leave the house.
That won't be necessary, but thanks for the offer :) We'll try to get my scooter on the plane, and if that doesn't work, we'll figure something out.

My mom talked with the airline, and getting my mobility scooter transported is free and sounds easy. Basically I just drive it up to the ticket counter (with some labeling attached with my info and how to break it down if needed), and then they take it from there.

It does go in the luggage type area though, not in the cabin - Delta's site uses "wheelchair" to refer to all devices in some sections, but in the case of cabin stowage, the really just mean "wheelchair" when they say wheelchair :p And Mr Valentijn has found the American version of part of the charging cord we need for a dollar or two on Amazon.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Valentijn
5* to delta - thats brilliant news - how relieved must you be to have it with you for your trip - great.
and well done mr valentijn too:)
I'm going to ask the local disabled charity to borrow a push one for a week or so - only going away for a few days but its the only way I can see the sights.