• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yasko Nutrigenomics Test - question

concepcion

My daughter is 22, has hashimoto's, me/cfs, mixed connective tissue disease. She is mostly bedbound. We just got back her nutrigenomics test from Dr. Yasko and she has no "+/+" and 11 x "+/-". Does this mean that her problem is not really genetic?

Valentijn

My daughter is 22, has hashimoto's, me/cfs, mixed connective tissue disease. She is mostly bedbound. We just got back her nutrigenomics test from Dr. Yasko and she has no "+/+" and 11 x "+/-". Does this mean that her problem is not really genetic?
Some of the +/- are relevant too ... MTHFR C677T, for example, would reduce methylfolate production to 65% of normal when +/-

concepcion

Some of the +/- are relevant too ... MTHFR C677T, for example, would reduce methylfolate production to 65% of normal when +/-

Thanks Valentijn.
She does have +/- MTHFR C677T
The other +/- =
COMT H62H
VDR Taq
VDR Fok
MTRR A66G
MTRR 11
BHMT2
BHMT4
BHMT8
CBS A360A
NOS D298E

I guess what I can't figure out is if this profile could explain why she is so ill.

Valentijn

Thanks Valentijn.
She does have +/- MTHFR C677T
The other +/- =
COMT H62H
VDR Taq
VDR Fok
MTRR A66G
MTRR 11
BHMT2
BHMT4
BHMT8
CBS A360A
NOS D298E

I guess what I can't figure out is if this profile could explain why she is so ill.
No, and a methylation panel generally won't - but it might indicate what can be done to at least help with symptoms a bit.

Some methylfolate supplementation (not folic acid), should help a bit with folate levels. Some B12 might help, but high doses aren't really indicated. Due to COMT and VDR, hydroxoB12 might work better than methylB12. And B6 may also be useful.

I'm not sure about NOS3. The gene is involved in vasodilation, and the heterozygous (+/-) version does have some impact, but it's a very common genotype so it doesn't seem likely that it's doing anything too extreme.

concepcion

No, and a methylation panel generally won't - but it might indicate what can be done to at least help with symptoms a bit.

Some methylfolate supplementation (not folic acid), should help a bit with folate levels. Some B12 might help, but high doses aren't really indicated. Due to COMT and VDR, hydroxoB12 might work better than methylB12. And B6 may also be useful.

I'm not sure about NOS3. The gene is involved in vasodilation, and the heterozygous (+/-) version does have some impact, but it's a very common genotype so it doesn't seem likely that it's doing anything too extreme.
Thanks so much Valentjn. We are also waiting for a bunch of biochem tests. hopefully they will shed more light.
Interesting about NOS3 as my daughter has low blood pressure and NMH.

Thanks again.