• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Invest in ME/Prof Jonathan Edwards statement on UK Rituximab trial, 30 July

natasa778

Jonathan Edwards . Thank you for sharing so much interesting knowledge.

Ditto, what a great thread! I am coming to this late and still going backwards on posts, but in case it hasn't been brought up I was wondering if there is any data on HERV-K and RT activity in RA patients relative to rituximab responses?
(in the absence of data any speculative thoughts would be much appreciated :) ). This question in the light of findings such as this one in RA http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2883104/ , and increased HERV activity found in ME.

Also, before we say 'only a consequence', here an interesting suggestion from the paper linked above
It is unclear as to whether HERVs play the triggering agent or are simply up-regulated as a consequence of inflammation and immune responses occurring within the synovial microenvironment. The smoking gun may be in the timing of HERV increases in relation to disease development or whether particular HERV polymorphisms play roles in specific subsets of predisposed patients.

EBV and its (potential) involvement in B cell dysfunction has been brought up here already ... but shouldn't the potential for 'collaboration' between HERVs and EBV, and other herpesviruses, in B cell dysfunction also be considered? (discussed briefly, with further links, in this paper, see chapter Herpesvirus—ERV Interaction: Does EBV Use a HERV for Stimulation of B Cell Growth?)

Edited to add:
I have just come across this paper 'Autoimmune disease: A role for new anti-viral therapies?'
that discusses some of the points raised above
... In this review, the author presents a case of autoimmune CIU (chronic idiopathic urticaria) in stable remission after therapy with a retroviral integrase inhibitor, raltegravir (Isentress).

... A cycle of HERV superantigen expression driven by EBV infection of memory B-lymphocytes could be interrupted through anti-viral agents such as raltegravir, or inactivation of cytokines such interferon. Rituximab could in part be effective in blocking autoimmunity by deleting B-lymphocytes that co-express EBV and HERV proteins. The effects of Rituximab or other anti-inflammatory therapy thus could be amplified by simultaneous anti-viral therapy targeting EBV or HERV expression ...

... The rapid and sustained response of CIU in this patient to therapy with an anti-viral drug, raltegravir may be of general interest, and is in sharp contrast to evidence of an autoimmune disease promoting effect of raltegravir in an autoimmune disease mouse model

Dolphin

Sorry, only in Norwegian but at the end you will see a girl, now energetic going out in a canoe. She had been mostly bedridden for 9 years.

There's a copy of this somewhere on YouTube which has English subtitles (one might have to press "cc" or something underneath to get the subtitles on the screen).

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
If that was the case you could draw similarities with celiac disease where i believe the immune response is targeted against gliadin (amongst a few other things) - interesting the immune response itself doesn't cause the celiac symptoms, the triggered inflammatory reaction however causes damage to the intestinal villi. If something similar is happening in ME/CFS perhaps a similar inflammatory reaction is occurring within an organ or tissue in response to a molecule produced after mental or physical exertion. I believe you mentioned in one of your previous posts the large number of changes occuring following excersise and many of these will occur through the secretion of different chemical signals and hormones any of which could be a potential target, As i've mentioned before I believe the sensory nervous system and specifically vagus nerve are effected so perhaps the inflammation occurs her although it has to be said I don't have anything to support this idea.
This could explain why people feel better when not overexerting themselves but never entirely well as such a chemical is always going to be secreted to some degree whereas the gliadin in celiac is not something produced by the body hence a gluten free diet serves as a good treatment.
Andrew

Coeliac disease is peculiar in that it is the only 'autoimmune' disorder in which we know what the T cell response is to. As you say it is gliadin, which is not a self protein, but a food element. It is unclear why a T cell response to food should be harmful unless the antigen is being presented in an unusual way. The autoimmune aspect of the disease is the B cell response - which is to the self protein tissue transglutaminase. To make sense if this it seems likely that B cells recognising transglutaminase pick up this attached to gliadin and present gliadin to T cells. If so the mistake that causes coeliac disease may not be having T cells that recognise gliadin but having B cells that recognise transglutaminase that can present the gliadin. Transglutaminase will be present all the time. The question would be whether you have to have gliadin around to trip the anti-transglutaminase response, or boost it. You need the gliadin to cause the gut damage but it is not clear you need it to make the antibodies. So there may not be quite a parallel here.

I think your basic line of thinking is right though. One other point I would make is that effects of antibodies do not have to involve inflammation. In RA they do but in myasthenia or immune thrombocytopenia they do not. Effects on nervous system need not involve inflammation. The antibody might just block a receptor - as it does in myasthenia. I am sceptical that most people with ME actually have inflammation of the nervous system (i.e. encephalitis). I think that part of the name is unfortunate. It seems much more likely that in most cases there is neurological malfunction but not via inflammation. In a few rare cases there may be true encephalitis but this may turn out to be a subset with a different sort of mechanism.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Jonathan Edwards .
Do you know which enzymes in the liver that are involved in the metabolism of Rituximab?

Rituximab is a protein, so it will not be metabolised by liver enzymes in the way that small drug molecules tend to be. I am not quite sure which cells would be most likely to metabolise it but my guess is that it would be scavenged by cells like macrophages when it has become damaged by oxidation or whatever. These cells would then digest the protein to amino acids with internal proteases. There are lots of macrophages in spleen and liver sinusoids but they are in almost all other tissues too.

user9876

Jonathan Edwards

Sometime back in this thread I think you made a comment about imflamitary arthritis being different in children. Do you think this will be the case with ME? I've seen it said that children are more likely to recover but on this forum there seem to be quite a number of people who have been ill since their teenage years. Having a teenage daugter with ME i'm hoping that Rituximab will eventually offer a viable treatment for her. Since you were asking about thyroid problems I thought I would also say we have a family history of thyroid problems.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Will tickle your scientific bone here by bringing to light this interesting paper from the RA world
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20547657
Rheumatology (Oxford). 2010 Oct;49(10):1911-9. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/keq159. Epub 2010 Jun 14.
Epstein-Barr virus in bone marrow of rheumatoid arthritis patients predicts response to rituximab treatment.
Magnusson M, Brisslert M, Zendjanchi K, Lindh M, Bokarewa MI.
CONCLUSIONS: EBV and parvovirus genomes are frequently found in bone marrow of RA patients. The presence of EBV genome was associated with a better clinical response to RTX. Thus, presence of EBV genome may predict clinical response to RTX.

I am curious to hear your perspective as whether Rituximab in ME would have a etter response if there was EBV involvement and whether performing bone marrow biopsies could bring more information to the table in patients with ME, especially in the light of a Rituximab trial.

I think it is important not to get muddled about viruses in these diseases. And I am not accusing PR posters of being muddled, just the people writing papers. In order not to be too rude I will try and generalise. Papers that look at viruses in patients with autoimmunity nearly always give the impression that the virus is somehow explaining some part of the causation - often a 'trigger'. But when we look at the results it does not look as if they would explain anything to do with disease causation.

In the Magnusson paper all that is found is that RA patients with more EBV in bone marrow respond to a treatment better (we do not know if it is just this treatment or any treatment). We already know that more or less everyone has EBV in their B cells at a certain stage of maturation. So what the EBV findings here seem to be telling us is that patients who respond to a treatment better have more B cells at a particular stage of maturation in their bone marrow. That might tie in with Dr Bansal's work on B cell populations but it does not imply that EBV is causing anything. It might be true that people who respond better handle EBV differently but it is a big jump to saying that this helps cause the disease. On the contrary, it might be that if these people respond better to treatment they have milder disease.

The presence of EBV may facilitate the development of various autoimmune diseases but these bone marrow data would not seem to tell us anything about that. To my mind a lot of immunologists are still hidebound by the idea that autoimmunity arises from an interaction between genetic and environmental factors, with the environmental factor often thought of in terms of an infective 'trigger'. EBV infection occurs in infancy and in late teens and in neither group is there any suggestion of increased incidence of RA. In setting up a theoretical model for a disease one has to find one that predicts the right statistics for the epidemiology. The epidemiology of RA shows a genetic bias but is otherwise as far as we can see random. (Except that smoking increases risk.) People feel they need another factor to explain who gets RA and when, but they do not seem to realise that it will have to be a random factor. In general viruses are either everywhere or pass from person to person in epidemics. Nobody has ever caught RA.

An extension of this gene/environmental trigger idea is almost universally believed in by immunologists but belongs to the stone age of the 1960s to my mind - something called molecular mimicry. The idea is that if you come across a foreign antigen that looks very like a self antigen you may get 'cross reactivity'. This idea was proposed for rheumatic fever and became accepted by everyone, despite there being no evidence. When rheumatic fever was cured by penicillin all the infectious disease physicians became 'immunologists' and brought their ideas with them. But it makes no sense. If a foreign protein is like a self protein you are less likely to respond to it. If cross reactivity was easy we would all have all sorts of autoimmune diseases. With the probably exception of post-infective polyneuropathy there is really zero evidence that it happens. What we do know happens is that a foreign protein can get involved in an autoimmune reaction to a quite unrelated molecule that it can bind to - like the coeliac case Andrew raised. But in most cases both the foreign and the self molecule are around all the time. The autoimmune reaction comes at random out of the blue. The point of the vicious cycle model based on random immunoglobulin mutation is that it makes sense of this. The random nature of the immune response is normally completely invisible, because of clonal selection in response to presence of antigen but for antigens that are always available, like self ones, the sudden random appearance of a response does make sense.

I think viruses may well be more relevant to ME because ME is more likely to be quite a mix of different diseases and in some cases unusual ways of handling viruses might be very important. However, I do not think attempts to chase virus causes of RA are of much interest here. Even in ME I would personally want much firmer evidence for viral involvement before using anti-viral agents. There is a significant possibility that the 'trigger' illness that some people have, is not a trigger at all. If a form of immune dysregulation is set up that disturbs the control of messenger molecules involved in responses to viruses then the first sign of that may well be a disturbed, or amplified and prolonged, response to a virus - any old virus. We know from RA that autoimmune processes may set up years before they actually show themselves in terms of symptoms. An anamnestic boost to an autoimmune response from a non-specific infection is quite feasible as a reason for first symptoms, but the immune response itself would already have been there.

Also, a number of immunologists seem to think there is some mystery about the response to rituximab. People often say there is no correlation between level of B cell depletion and benefit. I have no idea who invented that idea - there is a very clear correlation. For some reason people want to find another explanation but since we predicted what would happen with rituximab in advance (and published it in Brit J. Rheumatology) I cannot quite see the need!

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Jonathan Edwards

Sometime back in this thread I think you made a comment about imflamitary arthritis being different in children. Do you think this will be the case with ME? I've seen it said that children are more likely to recover but on this forum there seem to be quite a number of people who have been ill since their teenage years. Having a teenage daugter with ME i'm hoping that Rituximab will eventually offer a viable treatment for her. Since you were asking about thyroid problems I thought I would also say we have a family history of thyroid problems.

With inflammatory arthritis the childhood forms are quite distinct - at least now we can see that after the painstaking work of people like Barabra Ansell. Some have chronic eye disease, some have rash, of sorts that never occur in RA. So we can tell that a 12 year old has 'real RA' or an unrelated childhood illness. I strongly suspect there will be different mechanisms for some young people with ME but I am not getting the feeling that there will be the same black and white distinction. On the other hand that may just be because by definition we are dealing with illnesses with no obvious tissue structural changes visible and my personal experience of ME cases is very small.

I have to say that links to thyroid disease do tend to ring autoimmune bells in my head and that may be encouraging. There will be some people who have both problems by chance though, I guess. The problem is that like Agatha Christie, diseases leave bogus clues around the place as to who dunnit.

Helen

Rituximab is a protein, so it will not be metabolised by liver enzymes in the way that small drug molecules tend to be. I am not quite sure which cells would be most likely to metabolise it but my guess is that it would be scavenged by cells like macrophages when it has become damaged by oxidation or whatever. These cells would then digest the protein to amino acids with internal proteases. There are lots of macrophages in spleen and liver sinusoids but they are in almost all other tissues too.

Thank you for this information. As ME-patients have been shown to have more genedefects in the livers phase 1 and 2 detoxification I was a bit worried that this could be a problem for some people.

user9876

The epidemiology of RA shows a genetic bias but is otherwise as far as we can see random. (Except that smoking increases risk.) People feel they need another factor to explain who gets RA and when, but they do not seem to realise that it will have to be a random factor. I

Does this mean that the genetic bias comes in the form of differences in the stochastic process for generating antibodies.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
A lack of, or inefficient, receptors would presumably have to be either genetic or due to something interfering. If it was genetic then the person would seem hypothyroid from birth so it would have to be due to something interfering. In the context that would seem to have to be an antibody. I think that is possible for Grave's disease in which either the thyroid or the pituitary seems to think that there is not enough thyroxine around and overproduces but that is the wrong way up. For autoimmune hypothyroidism it wouldn't seem to make a unified story, but then maybe it's complicated. My impression is that the symptoms that do not settle are not particularly ones we know are due to lack of thyroxine (like slow pulse and sleepiness). But my experience with thyroid problems was largely as a side issue in patients who came to me with joint problems and that may bias the picture.

I had brain fog yesterday and still haven't been able to organise my thoughts on receptors, but looked at a few documents and will just throw out a few brainstorming thoughts that may be relevant and connected:

In some illnesses, perhaps including ME, there is, or is sometimes, preceding chronic stress (e.g. in childhood) that causes chronic hypercortisolaemia. Cortisol damps down the immune system, thus could allow opportunist infections to have more effect than usual and maybe get to places they can't usually, due to stress-induced hyperpermeable barriers, esp. BBB or gut mucosa.

Then the hypercortisolaemia is replaced by hypocortisolaemia, or at least an abnormal pattern of cortisol secretion. This would allow the immune system to become overactive. Perhaps it could permit the (ongoing?) production of a wide range of antibodies.

There seem to be mixed findings re what has caused the drop/abnormality in cortisol production - less CRH or ACTH? Could this be due to autoantibodies against one or both of these? Some seem to think so. In this case, it could provide a vicious-cycle-type positive feedback loop.

Another possibly-analogous phenomenon is Type 2 diabetes, which initially involves hyperglycaemia and hyperinsulaemia, then hypoinsulinaemia.

Still in a bit of fog so apologies if this is incoherent. Just wanted to put it out there before my brain mislaid it completely!

Firestormm

...I think your basic line of thinking is right though. One other point I would make is that effects of antibodies do not have to involve inflammation. In RA they do but in myasthenia or immune thrombocytopenia they do not.

Effects on nervous system need not involve inflammation. The antibody might just block a receptor - as it does in myasthenia. I am sceptical that most people with ME actually have inflammation of the nervous system (i.e. encephalitis). I think that part of the name is unfortunate. It seems much more likely that in most cases there is neurological malfunction but not via inflammation. In a few rare cases there may be true encephalitis but this may turn out to be a subset with a different sort of mechanism.

Intriguing.

I think viruses may well be more relevant to ME because ME is more likely to be quite a mix of different diseases and in some cases unusual ways of handling viruses might be very important. However, I do not think attempts to chase virus causes of RA are of much interest here. Even in ME I would personally want much firmer evidence for viral involvement before using anti-viral agents.

There is a significant possibility that the 'trigger' illness that some people have, is not a trigger at all. If a form of immune dysregulation is set up that disturbs the control of messenger molecules involved in responses to viruses then the first sign of that may well be a disturbed, or amplified and prolonged, response to a virus - any old virus.

We know from RA that autoimmune processes may set up years before they actually show themselves in terms of symptoms. An anamnestic boost to an autoimmune response from a non-specific infection is quite feasible as a reason for first symptoms, but the immune response itself would already have been there.

Fascinating.

Could the immune dysregulation be an inherited factor? And might it relate to a parent who has an autoimmune disease - for example - Rheumatoid Arthritis? I know we are kicking around ideas but Mum has RA and you know her symptoms and level of disability while not wholly similar to my own - certainly are in some ways.

I don't believe you have spoken about genetic-susceptibility on this thread - although you did provide some interesting thoughts about pregnancy a while back; and I was just wondering where you think this dysregulation might stem from if not from what is considered by us to have been a 'trigger' (in my case viral) event? Thanks :)

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Does this mean that the genetic bias comes in the form of differences in the stochastic process for generating antibodies.

I think Firestormm is asking much the same thing. And the answer seems to be yes. The genetic factors for RA (different in some cases for other autoimmune diseases) are having two X chromosomes, having the DR4 tissue type and having a variant of the PTPN22 gene. Two X chromosomes makes you female and all we can say is that there are quite a lot of differences in regulation of immune responses between male and female, any of which might be relevant, but females have to make antibodies for babies as well as themselves so that might be a clue. Most autoimmune disease are 3 times commoner in women. Lupus is 9 times commoner which ought to be telling us something (Three squared??) Ups and downs in hormones, as MeSci suggests, might be relevant here since female hormones go up and down and lupus mostly occurs during childbearing years.

The other two are a bit clearer. DR4 is a variant of the Class II MHC molecule DR that is the 'handle' that B cells use to present antigen fragment peptides to T cells. A lot of people are thinking that DR4 increases risk for RA because of the way it binds peptides that carry citrulline. So it would alter the threshold for getting into an anti-citrulline loop. The threshold effect may be wider than this though. This mechanism would not alter the way antibodies are randomly generated, but it could alter the likelihood of a bad antibody getting caught up in a loop. People have looked at the genes that are involved in the diversity of antibody species themselves (e.g. heavy cahin or Vh genes) and not found much.

PTPN22 does various things for lymphocytes but one thing looks relevant. It is involved in what is called receptor editing. When a new B cell is born it makes an antibody species at random. If this antibody species does not fold up properly or is 'substandard' in other ways the B cell may be given another chance to make a different antibody species. (A bit like a second service in tennis.) This is called receptor editing. It is pretty easy to see that a change in the 'fussiness' of antibody quality control and receptor editing could affect the likelihood of generating bad antibodies that looped. This fits in very much with ideas from people like Bansal and Samuels who have suggested that B cells are coming out of bone marrow not properly 'policed' for potential autoreactivity.

So, yes, the genetic factors look as if they may be setting the system up for a crash based on random generation of antibodies that in another person would be policed out.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Something I forgot to add to the last post is that one sort of genetic difference that might allow certain types of B cell error to occur would be a difference in NK cell, or more generally cytotoxic cell, function. I was interested to see the paper:
Mol Med Rep. 2011 May-Jun;4(3):535-40. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2011.447. Epub 2011 Mar 4.
Excess of activating killer cell immunoglobulin‑like receptors and lack of HLA-Bw4 ligands: a two‑edged weapon in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Pasi A, Bozzini S, Carlo-Stella N, Martinetti M, Bombardieri S, De Silvestri A, Salvaneschi L, Cuccia M.
NK receptors are strange. I am not convinced that poor killing of K562 target cells as reported in ME should be considered a 'defect' but it may indicate a difference. The above authors think in terms of clearing cells infected with pathogens but killer cells are involved in getting rid of unwanted B cells with no pathogen involved. I would be very interested to know if anyone else had found something similar to the above.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Something I forgot to add to the last post is that one sort of genetic difference that might allow certain types of B cell error to occur would be a difference in NK cell, or more generally cytotoxic cell, function. I was interested to see the paper:
Mol Med Rep. 2011 May-Jun;4(3):535-40. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2011.447. Epub 2011 Mar 4.
Excess of activating killer cell immunoglobulin‑like receptors and lack of HLA-Bw4 ligands: a two‑edged weapon in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Pasi A, Bozzini S, Carlo-Stella N, Martinetti M, Bombardieri S, De Silvestri A, Salvaneschi L, Cuccia M.
NK receptors are strange. I am not convinced that poor killing of K562 target cells as reported in ME should be considered a 'defect' but it may indicate a difference. The above authors think in terms of clearing cells infected with pathogens but killer cells are involved in getting rid of unwanted B cells with no pathogen involved. I would be very interested to know if anyone else had found something similar to the above.

Not quite the same but it may be relevant? This is from something I've been working on taking a similar 'first principles' approach (to add to the 95% of chaff!) :

NK cell cytotoxicity

Oxidative stress alone, in conditions such as type II diabetes and renal failure (Berrou et al, 2013) may also account for reduced NK cell cytotoxicity through dysfunction or apoptosis of NK cells (Betten et al, 2004; Wang et al, 2009). However one NK cell finding requires further explanation. Brenu (Brenu et al, 2012) reported that “significantly lower numbers of CD56brightCD16- NK cells” may lead to a greater susceptibility to viral and other infections and may be a ‘biomarker’.

CD56(bright) NK cells make up a minority of NK cell types but represent the majority in lymphatic tissues and are associated with sites of inflammation (Chan et al, 2007). While the exact proportion of these cells varies, the percentages are expanded or reduced in a certain number of diseases including coronary heart disease, allergic rhinitis and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (Brenu et al, 2012). While, the significance of these variations is not yet clear (Poli et al, 2009), their presence does suggest that ME/CFS fits in a broad realm of inflammatory disorders.

In the context of a possible autoimmune etiology of ME/CFS discussed in Part II, it’s notable that CD56 bright NK cell counts discussed above may be used to determine how effective the monoclonal antibody daclizumab is in the treatment of relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS). This supports the immunomodulatory role natural killer cells play in reducing brain inflammation and slowing disease progression in RRMS. (Bielekova et al, 2006) :

“…daclizumab therapy was associated with a gradual decline in circulating CD4+ and CD8+ T cells and significant expansion of CD56 bright natural killer (NK) cells in vivo, and this effect correlated highly with the treatment response”

This suggests that the low levels of CD56 bright natural killer (NK) cells seen in ME/CFS could reflect similar ‘brain inflammation’ and a possible autoimmune etiology. As seen in Parts II and III, a number of conditions which involve a glutamate/GABA imbalance also now appear to have an autoimmune component including stiff person syndrome, anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, late onset autism, autoimmune encephalitis and potentially type II diabetes, fibromyalgia and schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorders. As discussed above primary biliary cirrhosis is an autoimmune disease sharing many symptoms with ME/CFS where TNF-a may contribute to neuroinflammation.

I was also intrigued by your comments on encephalomyelitis and the suggestion that inflammation is unlikely to play a part in most cases of ME. Is it possible to make a distinction between inflammation that results in gross tissue pathology in diseases such as RA or coeliac disease (or in edema in meningitis) and the type of neuroinflammation (involving raised pro-inflammatory cytokines, extracellular glutamate, oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction) proposed as underlying conditions such as major depressive disorder and dementia that don't (as far as I'm aware) involve gross tissue damage?

As above I would tend to suggest that any autoimmune involvement in ME would be more akin to the various types of autoimmune encephalitis (or stiff person syndrome) that affect neurotransmitters than RA, coeliac etc. Do you you happen to know if these autoimmune encephelatides (?) cause gross tissue damage?

lansbergen

The opposite in autisme with the other arm ( HLA-C2 ligand )

Utilizing DNA from 158 Caucasian subjects with autism and 176 KIR control subjects we show for the first time a highly significant increase in four activating KIR genes (2DS5, 3DS1, 2DS1 and 2DS4) as measured by chi square values and odds ratios. In addition, our data suggests a highly significant increase in the activating KIR gene 2DS1 and its cognate HLA-C2 ligand (2DS1 + C2; p = 0.00003 [Odds ratio = 2.87]).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889159112001973